US Airways to Recall Pilots as Fleet of 100-Seat Jets Grows

Are you upset that they were excited or that some AWA guys will be flying them and not you? Please expand.

No. And I was senior to the F/O anyway. I don't care if the newU gets the space shuttle fleet...it's gotta pay...period. I run into the SJS all too much in the West. It's alarming.

Let's see. How much did a BAC111 Captain/First Officer earn back in 1988? What kind of purchasing power did that income yield?

As a former airline employee, I absolutely agree on the pay situation.

However, someone has to entice me as a passenger to pay 1988-level fares. It is stunning how low the current fares are. I remember paying about $175 to go from PHX-SEA in 1983 and thinking that I got a pretty good deal at the time (with all the great deregulated fares and new service).

Nearly 25 years later, I am taking a trip from PHX-SEA for $195. To keep your salaries whole, I should be paying something like $600. I don't honestly know how to resolve this issue.

Southwest has resolved the issue.

But no one copies them. No one has the intelligence to do what they do.

You wont see PHX-TLV, they are using their appointed pilot puppet to try and get the westies onboard.

If PHX-TLV was viable LY would have been flying it all ready.

LY and US are both looking at PHL-TLV is there is a high jewish population in the PHL area.

LH cancelled flying PHX-FRA as the market could not support it.

Oh by the way how did that PHX to Japan market work out for HP, oh wait made their trip to chapter 11 much faster.

I don't see any REAL Airlines, US or Foreign banging down the PHX Airport for gates to fly international routes.

US Airways to recall 26 pilots for growing fleet

CHARLOTTE (Observer) - US Airways Group Inc. plans to recall 26 more pilots this month through December to serve as first officers on 100-seat aircraft the carrier is adding to serve smaller markets. US Airways, Charlotte's dominant carrier, also intends to call back about 90 laid-off flight attendants to fill vacancies caused by attrition, spokesman Philip Gee said Thursday. The flight-attendant recalls aren't related to the growing fleet of Embraer 190 jets, he said.US Airways said the pilot recalls disclosed Wednesday are in addition to its January announcement that it would call back as many as 274 pilots during this year's first half.

USA320Pilot comments: The PHX and PHL to TLV route information was provided by the Company to ALPA earlier this week.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot comments: The PHX and PHL to TLV route information was provided by the Company to ALPA earlier this week.

Regards,

USA320Pilot [/font]
Are you not tired of posting highly erroneous information? Anyone that believes PHX-TLV will work belongs on the other side of a nut house. They do not deserve to walk free amongst the sane folk.
Comparing NYC to PHX for TLV service is just too damn stupid for words. Look at the demographics of the 2 areas and then let reallity settle in :blink: :blink: :blink:

Four points:

1. The A340 will go on the new joint operating certificate.

2. US Airways East ALPA already has an A340 pay rate.

3. Do not be surprised of the new ALPA contract has 3 pay rates, one for widebody aircraft, one for narrowbody (Group II) aircraft, and another for the EMB-190. This concept creates value for the business enterprise because it lowers training costs, which will contribute to higher pilot pay rates.

4. Expect a new widebody and narrowbody aircraft order this month.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Please explain your thoughts on number 3. Dont they already have different pay rates on these AC? How would any of this lower training costs?

No. And I was senior to the F/O anyway. I don't care if the newU gets the space shuttle fleet...it's gotta pay...period. I run into the SJS all too much in the West. It's alarming.

ok, you realize that East contract is the worst, yet you mount your high horse to tell the west guys what they should do about pay for some plane not here yet, plus whats in the East contract say about A340 pay....that's some funny stuff there tough guy :p

p.s. how do you know that you will be senior to that f/o..anyway :p

Are you sure there looking at PHX for these routes, that would be excellent news for us out here in PHX, but I thought they were only looking to expand overseas from PHL according to the crew news sessions ans possibly in the future a phx-fra flight.
What do you mean? "There" is nonsense.

Please explain your thoughts on number 3. Dont they already have different pay rates on these AC? How would any of this lower training costs?
I suspect that Kirby wants pretty much what HP has now - a single pay rate (or actually one for Capt and one for F/O.

You're right. East currently has 4 pay rates - A330, group 1 (767/757), group 2 (A320 series and 737), and E190. You could even say that there are 5 if you call the extra pay the TA pilots get a separate scale.

You're also right to question how it would lower training costs. Kirby's MS Excel spreadsheet probably says that West's training cost is lower than East. However, with only one pilot base (PHX) with relatively stable flying year round and a relatively young pilot group (compared to East), the training cost is guaranteed to be less than East. It's purely coincidental that HP only has one pay scale.

The big factors driving training cost on the East side are the reverse of the factors that make it lower on the West side. Relatively large shifts in TA flying causes training throughout the seniority list twice a year. Greater attrition from an older pilot group also causes training events throughout the seniority list, and with almost all pilots at the TOS each training event costs the maximum. Multiple bases result in pilots who were displaced to or bid other bases for better base seniority bidding back when they can or will have better seniority, often on different equipment resulting in training.

In other words, about 90% of East training cost would still be incurred with a single pay scale because it's caused by factors other than pay. Of the remaining 10%, a single pay scale might eliminate half. Having "only" 3 pay scales instead of 4 is basically meaningless.

It's easy to tell how serious Kirby is. Just tell him that ALPA will agree to 3 pay scales in exchange for eliminating the training freeze. After all, the purpose of the freeze is to reduce training cost. If less pay scales will accomplish that goal, the freezes aren't needed.

Jim

Well, big difference here. Now we're talking 26 pilots total vs. 26 pilots each month? The title of the thread says 26/mo but the article seems to read 26 pilots for the rest of the year. That sure makes more sense wrt the 190s that we'll be receiving. Or is it 26/mo with a bunch more G2+ recalls to come :huh: ? I'm confused I think.

Are you not tired of posting highly erroneous information? Anyone that believes PHX-TLV will work belongs on the other side of a nut house. They do not deserve to walk free amongst the sane folk.
Comparing NYC to PHX for TLV service is just too damn stupid for words. Look at the demographics of the 2 areas and then let reallity settle in :blink: :blink: :blink:
I'm not sure USA320pilot is trying to convince anyone, just putting out info as he knows it. If you don't believe it then fine.

regards,

Back