Potential security/safety issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phlus2

Senior
Apr 11, 2007
Last week, on a PHL-PHX flight, after the crew completed the drink/meal service - they all went into the back galley and hung a blanket across the curtain track at the entrance to the galley, and stayed back there for the rest of the flight.

It seems to me that having the entire crew in the back galley, unable to see what is going on in the rest of the cabin because the blanket is blocking their view - poses a potentailly serious safety and security issue.

Wasn't there a reason that the curtains were removed after 9/11? Wasn't this done at the direction of the FAA?

First off, yes it is a violation of an FAR for the crew not to maintain visual access to the the entire cabin during flight. (Crew is also not supposed to do anything--such as wear headphones--that restricts them from HEARING anything in the cabin during flight.)

The removal of the curtain between F/C and M/C and the galley curtains after 9/11 was actually a TSA regulation, not an FAA directive. It is still in effect. At AA we experimented with a plastic, see-through curtain between F/C and M/C a year or so ago, but evidently someone or some agency didn't like/approve it. It was never installed on many a/c.

Last week, on a PHL-PHX flight, after the crew completed the drink/meal service - they all went into the back galley and hung a blanket across the curtain track at the entrance to the galley, and stayed back there for the rest of the flight.

It seems to me that having the entire crew in the back galley, unable to see what is going on in the rest of the cabin because the blanket is blocking their view - poses a potentailly serious safety and security issue.

Wasn't there a reason that the curtains were removed after 9/11? Wasn't this done at the direction of the FAA?

Post 9-11 the only curtains (at least on HP aircraft) that were removed due to TSA security concerns were the curtains in the forward portion of the aircraft i.e. between FC and MC. They were subsequently replaced with the mesh (see-thru) curtains that we currently have in place. To the best of my knowledge, especially on the airbus, we never lost the curtains back by the aft galley. Neither company policy nor FAA regulations prohibit the "entire" crew from congregating in the back galley, but you should still be able to maintain some visual access. Before the merger, America West policy prohibited the first FA from going past overwing, post merger we adopted the US policy which allows for the first to go to the back. If I am in error about this I'm sure someone will set the record straight. ;)

As far as the crew staying in the aft galley the "rest of the flight", well, that is not something *I* would do and don't condone.

Honestly, we could have debates ad infinitum about the current safety and security standards in place at all airlines, not just US. For everyone one passenger that "gets it" in regards to safety and security there are a dozen more that don't.

It seems to me that you're f'in nosey.

Curtains are permitted in front of galleys. The only stipulation is that the one that gives a view of the flight deck door be see-through. Some of our narrowbody aircraft have the curtain in the back, on some it's been removed or broken like the rest of the equipment on the plane.

Making your own curtain out of a blanket is not illegal. Tacky, yes, but some of our crews don't care anymore as everything else about the place is dirty, shabby, and tacky anyway. See also the bottle of water and cups on top of the garbage can (that is not allowed and unbelievable that people think it's ok...).

They certainly shouldn't be hanging out in the galley the entire time but they are allowed to take a break, and the forward section has been removed. Aside from picking up trash ocassionally, there is not much else to do after the service. I like to go through with water but there are rarely enough supplies or trash space on our butchered airplanes to do much of anything anymore except sit and endure and try not to touch anything.

Blanket curtain is tacky but you're not getting anyone in trouble (and why are you trying?)

No offense bud, but bring a book next time.

Well isn't that a nice response! Those pain in the a** customers again - raising a potential safety issue - if they would just sit there and shut up our jobs as FA's would be so much easier!

Making your own curtain out of a blanket is not illegal.

Well - not everyone on this board agrees with you on this. An earlier responder to the post does seem to feel that is in violation of policy. So who is right - you or the previous poster?

Blanket curtain is tacky but you're not getting anyone in trouble (and why are you trying?)

So who said anything about getting anyone in trouble? Did I post the flight number and date? Nope - didn't - so can't get anyone in trouble on this posting. However - I was raising what appears to me to be the potential for a safety/security issue - so forgive me for being worried about my own safety while on an airplane!

No offense taken - believe me - I would never be offended by anything that you would say. I'm assuming you are just one more of the miserable unhappy group of FA's that work at this joke of a company - so no - I would never be offended - or care for the matter - about any insults you spew my way.

Afterall - I help to pay your paycheck (assuming you are an employee). So if you want to be nasty and insult the paying customer - go ahead - but I bet I like my job much more than you like yours!

I've been on flights where f/as put up a blanket in the back galley when there wasn't a curtain. It is tacky I agree but they didn't want to be bothered. :lol: After service I usually go back out after a while and pick up extra trash and check to see what is going on but I admit I am one of the guilty ones who likes to sit in the back of the airplane in the galley and read or talk or eat or whatever. I don't hibernate or anything like some do though. I'll get up to answer a call bell or switch out the movie. For safety reasons it isn't a good idea to never leave the galley because you don't know what could be going on in the cabin. OTOH, I understand why some f/as do it. I'm not condoning it, but I do understand. I've been so tired at times or so fed up from lots of rude pax that I have done the same thing myself. I'll never forget when I had a trip on the 321 and we were going to LAX and the A said in the briefing that after the service that instead of sitting in the back with our noses buried in our books the whole time that we were to be visible in the cabin walking though at least every 30 minutes. The other two f/as walked to the back galley and laughed. They couldn't believe he was serious. I don't think I have ever been on a long flt where no one ever came out from the back galley though.

Maybe this belongs in the "Do You Remember" thread, but...

When smoking was still allowed on trans-Atlantic flights, the senior mamas would pull several of the big 767 galley units out from the racks, put blankets on top of them, and sit around in a semi-circle lighting one cigarette off the other. (There were also a few captains who would spend most of the flight back in the "smoking lounge", leaving the other two pilots up front to fend for themselves.)

The F/A's would place beverage carts on each side of the galley, blocking access from the aisles. If a passenger wanted a drink, they would come up to the "bar" and ask for it, just like at a wedding.

Curtains are permitted in front of galleys. The only stipulation is that the one that gives a view of the flight deck door be see-through. Some of our narrowbody aircraft have the curtain in the back, on some it's been removed or broken like the rest of the equipment on the plane.

Making your own curtain out of a blanket is not illegal. Tacky, yes, but some of our crews don't care anymore as everything else about the place is dirty, shabby, and tacky anyway. See also the bottle of water and cups on top of the garbage can (that is not allowed and unbelievable that people think it's ok...).

They certainly shouldn't be hanging out in the galley the entire time but they are allowed to take a break, and the forward section has been removed. Aside from picking up trash ocassionally, there is not much else to do after the service. I like to go through with water but there are rarely enough supplies or trash space on our butchered airplanes to do much of anything anymore except sit and endure and try not to touch anything.

Right on! While I disagree with any crew for not adhering to the administered service procedures, the aft galley is for the crew to take a break and have a little privacy during the flight. I don't know why passengers think they can congregate in the back galley. This is particularly true since 911. If you need to stretch your legs, do so in the aisle after the service is completed. When the curtain is removed, passengers often feel entitled to that space in the back galley for whatever reason. Putting up a blanket, although very tacky, is our way of establishing that boundry.

I'm looking for the earlier responder who "seems to think it's a violation"? Maybe the OP just suffers from poor reading comprehension as there are no other posts that say an aft galley curtain is a safety or security issue? Please find me the person who 'disagrees' with me.

Why the interest if not looking to get someone in trouble? What a disapointment that the evil customer-hating crew were not doing anything wrong.

I agree wholeheartedly that it's a joke of an airline. And the joke is on you since you continue to patronize it.

If you are paying my paycheck, I'd like a raise.

I love my job, actually, and am probably more of a customer advocate than you could imagine. I just don't humor stupidity. Read a book, work on a crossword, find something to do on a long airplane ride.

I'm looking for the earlier responder who "seems to think it's a violation"? Maybe the OP just suffers from poor reading comprehension as there are no other posts that say an aft galley curtain is a safety or security issue? Please find me the person who 'disagrees' with me.

Why the interest if not looking to get someone in trouble? What a disapointment that the evil customer-hating crew were not doing anything wrong.

I agree wholeheartedly that it's a joke of an airline. And the joke is on you since you continue to patronize it.

I love my job, actually, and am probably more of a customer advocate than you could imagine. I just don't humor stupidity. Read a book, work on a crossword, find something to do on a long airplane ride.

jimntx seems to think it is a violation of policy.

Wow - what a nice happy person you are! I guess I had you figured all wrong.

jimntx works for American Airlines, and states that it's a violation for the crew not to monitor the cabin. This doesn't require a F/A to stand looking bullseye at the customers the entire flight. If that was the case then how on earth would a single F/A on an RJ stare at the cabin while in the galley preparing service? Or 8 F/As on a widebody? F/As are not going to be able to stare at you the whole time, and they are not required to. The only FARs or policies regarding curtains apply to cabin dividing curtains that block view of the flight deck door. Sorry.

You should meet one of our F/As named Cyndy, she's a tattletale too

Figure me out? Like I said, maybe you should spend less time trying to 'figure out' flight attendants. I wonder of anyone is even half as fascinated with your job.

jimntx works for American Airlines, and states that it's a violation for the crew not to monitor the cabin. This doesn't require a F/A to stand looking bullseye at the customers the entire flight. If that was the case then how on earth would a single F/A on an RJ stare at the cabin while in the galley preparing service? Or 8 F/As on a widebody? F/As are not going to be able to stare at you the whole time, and they are not required to. The only FARs or policies regarding curtains apply to cabin dividing curtains that block view of the flight deck door. Sorry.

You should meet one of our F/As named Cyndy, she's a tattletale too

Figure me out? Like I said, maybe you should spend less time trying to 'figure out' flight attendants. I wonder of anyone is even half as fascinated with your job.

What a wonderful person you are - and so nice - please forgive me for even questioning anything that a FA attendant does - especially you - as I am sure you are the sweetest nicest FA there ever was to every one of your customers!

So I'd love to know what it is like going through life being as happy and nice as you are? Please let everyone on this board know since I'm sure there are many others here who would love to know your secrets for being so happy and nice.

Simply amazing - I raise what many would consider to be a legitimate question about airplane safety - and you turn it into a personal attack.

Are you supposed to be working? Is posting on aviation forums part of your job? Should I ask your co-workers?

I'm wondering if you are a bit off, with your references to me as a person. This is the internet. You've never met me... maybe you should get out more? :huh:

Here's a virtual blanket. Enjoy your day.

Oh come on...give the FAs some crew rest...its a friggin transcon on a sardine packed tube...

Its sometimes nice for nonrev employees stuck in a middle seat to get out and go back to the rear galley and talk about the half assed merger and the ''you remember when'' stuff and how much we miss the Colodny/Wolfe Days when US was run like a tight ship...

Give me a break...no...give the crew members a break...they're obviously telling you with the blanket to ''leave them alone'' which is tacky but okay...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back