I.R.S. to Recognize All Gay Marriages, Regardless of State

Ms Tree

Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Looks like one more domino has fallen and we are one step closer to equal marriage rights for everyone.

“Imagine a pair of women who marry in Albany and then move to Alabama,” Justice Antonin Scalia wrote at the time of the decision. “May they file a joint federal income tax return? Does the answer turn on where they were married or where they live?”

Well Scalia, here is your answer.

As of the 2013 tax year, same-sex spouses cannot file federal tax returns as if they were single. Instead, they will have to opt for filing as “married filing jointly” or “married filing separately.” The location of their marriage — as long as it is legal — or residence does not matter: a same-sex couple who marry in Albany and move to Alabama will be treated the same as a same-sex couple who marry and live in Massachusetts.

NY Times

It never was about 'equality' only equality in tax laws.
Now opposite sex 'couples' are at a tax disadvantage, does anyone care?
B) xUT

How are opposite sex couples at a disadvantage?

If they choose to remain unmarried, they are in exactly the same place legally as any other unmarried people, including same sex couples.

If they choose to get married, they enjoy whatever legal benifits that act concurs.

Sounds pretty equal

I miss your point xUT?

All any couple has to do is get married. Nothing at all changed for them. The only thing that changed is that a same sex couple that gets married, or has been legally married, gets the same tax status as an opposite sex couple.

Maybe I am missing something.

I miss your point xUT?

All any couple has to do is get married. Nothing at all changed for them. The only thing that changed is that a same sex couple that gets married, or has been legally married, gets the same tax status as an opposite sex couple.

Maybe I am missing something.
Yes you are.
Think about it.
B) xUT

Ut

You not makin sense

Finally, all couples are treated equally, at least by the IRS, and you find that opposite sex couples are now disadvantaged.

How?

...does anyone care?
B) xUT

I care.

I care that little by little, love is winning. If I ruled the world, the right to get married (and all the stuff that comes with it; insurance, probate, etc) would simply be an issue of the state, and gender would be a non issue.

The rite of marriage would be through whatever institution (or not) 2 people chose.

We agree on many things, amigo. I know this ain't one of 'em, and I'm okay with that.

I care.

I care that little by little, love is winning. If I ruled the world, the right to get married (and all the stuff that comes with it; insurance, probate, etc) would simply be an issue of the state, and gender would be a non issue.

The rite of marriage would be through whatever institution (or not) 2 people chose.

We agree on many things, amigo. I know this ain't one of 'em, and I'm okay with that.
You didn't answer my question.
I don't have a problem with 'equality'.
But is this law 'equal'?
Luv U Man!
B) xUT

Latest posts

Back