Do You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken MacTiernan

Veteran
Aug 12, 2003
San Diego CA
Do You?

This is a very simple question that requires a serious answer. But before you mentally search for potential replies allow me to specify the realm of this question. As AMTs what we do and do not do in our every day duties tells a lot about who we are, and in turn reflects on our craft as a whole.
Do you feel that you are always trying to raise the standards by which we hold our profession to? This is something that every AMT should view as a way of advancing our craft. By adhering to correct maintenance manual references and using standard practices when called upon is one way of elevating these standards. Do you?
When working on an aircraft, whether it is on the ramp or in a hangar, do you ensure the work area is clean when you are finished? Do you leave safety wire, old hardware, rags, etc. lying on the ground assuming that someone will clean up after you? Do you leave an oil bowser empty after using it, or do you fill it when you are done? How about replacing work stands and ladders back to where they should be stored after you are done with them? Do you?
Are you concerned about the image the public has of our craft as it is portrayed through television, movies and news stories? Do you feel this image is positive or negative? If you feel it is negative how do you present yourself to coworkers and the public? Are you a slob? Do you wear your shirt hanging out, dirty sneakers, discolored pants and shirt, hair uncombed and unshaven? Do you?
When finished with a job assignment do you ask fellow AMTs if they need assistance or do you go and sit down somewhere? When asked for your opinion on a specific problem and how to repair a discrepancy do you make an effort to help or do you just point to the M.M.? Do you view yourself as part of a team of professionals within your work group or an individual only concerned with your work load? Do you offer guidance to new hires who ask for it? Do you?
If an aircraft is parked in a hangar and you see it is not properly grounded do you walk past the aircraft or do you make an attempt to ground the aircraft? If an AMT is working unsafe do you remind them they are doing so and that they should always work safe? Do you allow yourself to be pressured by management, or an aircraft owner, to do something without the proper equipment or correct manpower to accomplish a specific task? Do you?
I ask the question of “Do you?â€￾ in order to remind ourselves of the reasons why we became AMTs. By asking ourselves these questions we continuously look at how we perform our responsibilities in providing safe, airworthy aircraft and how we present ourselves to our coworkers and the public. By possessing knowledge, skill and integrity in every facet of our job we ensure the future for our craft and profession. We have inherited a proud craft by those who came before us who asked themselves these questions. Their positive answers enabled us to become stewards of a highly skilled and respected profession. It is our responsibility to answer as these AMTs did so those coming after us can continue the tradition of professionalism and pride that our craft is known for.

What do you think? Let me know if you agree or disagree.

You forgot one Ken.

Will you cross a picket line as a SCAB when a Union is working hard to get your profession recognized? Will You?

Up until the 1,000+ plus SCABS busted the Northwest AMT's attempt to advance, I really thought that the "perception" of the AMT was important to the profession. I was there in Philadelphia at the PEB testimony and what morale boost that was for the profession. But I now know the A&P licensed AMT is really no different than most everyone else in our society. The only thing that really matters is themselves.

I applaud you for sticking with your attempts to change the "perception", but honestly the "perception" of the AMT is really about the same as the TWU claiming to be a 60 year "strong" union. It is all nothing more than words and a farce.

Similar questions could/should be the criteria for any craft and/or profession. I salute Ken for asking these questions. It is another example of his pride in his profession.

Every day i go to work i try to make a difference in what i do and I'm proud of being an AMT and always will be, nobody or no company will never change on how i feel and no company will ever break my moral. So Ken hats off to you, You made a great point, absolutely.....

Ken, those are good questions to ponder. I can honestly say I've been lax on some of the questions you put forth since the 03 debacle . I would come to work and do my assigned duties and nothing more. I know I should be better than that but I'm only human. In early July I volunteered for the AirCell mod line. When the compAAny offered incentive (20 hrs o.t. a week) and got out of the way, those of us on the 4D temporary mod line "went to work". We have supassed their expectations and produced aircraft on time in a professional manner. The dock is kept clean and most are well adjusted, courteous, and helpful without being asked. When this project is over in early September we will all go back to our respective docks and return to mediocrity. We will have once again shown the company the potential a motivated workforce and they will soon forget our accomplishments. Very sad. :(

Great question to ponder but the answer to these questions would be quite different if asked 10 years ago. Just remember the company we work for made us the way we are today...

<_< ------- Ken, MCIE, and the AMT's of TWA always have prided themselves in their work ethic that, in my opinion, has been one of the best in the Industry! And, I feel, will continue to be, right up to the time they shut us down! Although AA has never appreciated the fact! We have done more, with less, than any other workgroup in the Industry and received nothing in return but abuse, and scorn for our effort! ---------- It's a sad legacy to a once great Airline! ---- Sorry Ken if I feel a little better, but it is what it is!

Pretty sad when we have to questions our own level of professionalism, but can I say this that not AMTs are concerned we have become a nation of cry babies, spoiled rotten into believing that we can all work in a service based economy and abandon manufacturing entirely. There was once a sense of pride throughout all ranks of blue-collar workers in America, where Dad taught Jr. how to change the oil in the Chevy.

We don't fix things anymore, we've become a nation of parts-changers, and most of those parts are MADE IN CHINA.

Pretty sad when we have to questions our own level of professionalism, but can I say this that not AMTs are concerned we have become a nation of cry babies, spoiled rotten into believing that we can all work in a service based economy and abandon manufacturing entirely. There was once a sense of pride throughout all ranks of blue-collar workers in America, where Dad taught Jr. how to change the oil in the Chevy.

We don't fix things anymore, we've become a nation of parts-changers, and most of those parts are MADE IN CHINA.
<_< ------- Sad, but true! The politicians still haven't figured it out!------- The way we beat the bad guys in WWII is we out produced them!-------- We can't do that today!!! :shock: When we go to Wal-Mart and buy a new American flag to fly on Memorial day, and it has a small label it that says " Made in China", I think that says it all!

Hey Ken: I think most of the responses are going off subject a little. I believe your question goes to the individual and not to the larger corporation, union or group.I'm sorry to say that my answer to some of your questions would be no. My portrayal of our craft is not always where it should be. The reasons for this are mine and it is something that I am changing. I understand about morale and everything that has occurred in the industry since 2001. I feel that the only real way to overcome this is for each individual AMT to take responsibility for his or her own actions. Everyone has got to hold each other to a higher standard. Using all of the things in your post we need to hold each other to these standards. Their really is no excuse to allow these norms to remain in place.

Hey Ken: I think most of the responses are going off subject a little. I believe your question goes to the individual and not to the larger corporation, union or group.I'm sorry to say that my answer to some of your questions would be no. My portrayal of our craft is not always where it should be. The reasons for this are mine and it is something that I am changing. I understand about morale and everything that has occurred in the industry since 2001. I feel that the only real way to overcome this is for each individual AMT to take responsibility for his or her own actions. Everyone has got to hold each other to a higher standard. Using all of the things in your post we need to hold each other to these standards. Their really is no excuse to allow these norms to remain in place.

Planemedic,

Thank you for your post. You are correct that my post was directed at the indiviudal AMT. I posted here on the AA link because I am an AA AMT. I would like to post it on other airline links but the Moderators have gotten a tad concerned when I tried that in the past.

I did not write this post/article indicating that I am perfect... far from it. I wrote it because I feel that we, our profession as a whole, need to stop and re-examine where our craft is and how it is perceived; and how we, as a whole, can elevate the status of our image. Those who became AMTs did so not to become rich and famous but because of a love of aviation and the level of responsibilities that must be carried when performing our duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back