Do Other Airlines' Employees Pay To Travel ?

crushed said:
Not worried.....
Our roosters crow 3 hrs earlier than yours.
[post="293176"][/post]​

Just remember when you travel to Europe, their flights check-in 3 hours before ours.

I heard that the newest MGT hire at NWA has priority over a line pilot with 35 years experience. Is this true?

dramsey777 said:
:( No one has answered the question about Retirees flight benefits! I know HP doesn't have many since they are such a Baby airlines but US does.
Like we have said it better be by Hire Date for flying not your stupid Check in time.
[post="293163"][/post]​

HP Retiree benefits are as follows -

Retiree & eligible dependents - unlimited, free travel on HP & YV

They are a lower priority than active employees - they travel at SA3P
Dependents without the retiree travel at SA4P

Again location on the list with in each priority is based on Check-in time.

Also - Retiree's recieve 6 flexi-passes per year
Active Full time employees recieve 10* per quarter
Active Part time employee recieve 8* per quarter

*these numbers will decrease based on your attendance
First class works the same way as an active employee

Now that I have laid out the pass travel info for HP (both active & retiree) can some one take the time and do the same for US?

PS according to our DRS they say there are currently about 718 retiree :)

dramsey777 said:
:down: You pay with US, with your Life and then they kick you in the Ass! Non-reving is impossible even with Seniority. Which I understand AWA doesn't use. Their Gate Agents list all their Friends the night before for the 1st come 1st serve!! :down: How does a $14 mill. airline take OVER a $60 million losing Airline? It doesn't they both go under!
[post="290931"][/post]​

Listing the night before isn't how the 1st come 1st served works at AWA. Actually it's 1st to check in (can only be done several hours before the flight). Non rev travel at AWA can be difficult at times, but not impossible. I suppose it's impossible for the "cup is half empty" folks. What it will be like after the merger remains to be seen.

:) Since we go on Date of Hire we are just like Active employees and are S3 after 25 yrs of service. Unlimited Flying and we only pay $20 upgrade-unlimited domestically and $100 international-unlimited.
Retirees should not be penalized, and should not be Lower than Active employees. We earned the Same treatment and Benefits. We have already lost our Pensions and Medical and now HP wants to Penalize our Flight Benefits?-Not! :down:

I don't understand why retirees should have priority over active employees. Active employees have jobs they need to get back to. Retirees have shuffleboard games that could likely get rescheduled. Sorry for being an insensitive prat, I'm sure if the shoe is on the other foot, I'll be preaching for SP travel for retirees.

Non-Rev travel at US;

Employee - UNLIMITED FREE!

Spouse - UNLIMITED FREE!

Dependants - UNLIMITED FREE!

Parents - UNLIMITED FREE!

Dependants 19 - 23 and full time student - UNLIMITED FREE!

Buddy Passes - 10% of Y Fare - 8 per year

Retirees - UNLIMITED FREE!

$20 to upgrade to First Class Domestic

$100 to upgrade to First Class International

All Non-Rev travel is done by date of hire

Buddy Pass travel is done by Check-In time
unless travel is with an employee, whereas
they travel using the employees hire date.

One descent thing about Delta is that they are good to non-revs, they have the screens hanging in the boarding area that tells you the # you are on the list, and when you are cleared. no one bugs the agents with 15 questions about how many seats are availiable, when are they going to clear stand-bys and etc. they give 6 S2 priority days a year, so if you are going to go somewhere like europe or hawaii and the list is pretty senior, you can use your S2 day and move to the top of the list.

In an earlier post, someone said that US employees pay $50 annually for non rev benefits, but then each flight is free after that. Is that true, or is it TOTALLY free for employees?

Can employees use buddy passes for upgrades, or do you always have to pay $20 (HP gate agents rarely even ask for buddy passes for employee upgrades)? Can you pay at the gate or does it have to be paid in advance? Do you find it pretty easy to upgrade to first?

On a "somewhat related" note, the AZ Republic ran a big story in the business section a couple of months ago. Basically it talked about how airline employees have trouble flying for free because the planes are so full.

They did quote a couple employees (HP & WN) who said it's just "part of the game", but I can imagine that the general public though we, as airline employees were complaining about the flights being so full. Don't ya just LOVE the media? :censored:

:down:
bigman60 said:
I don't understand why retirees should have priority over active employees. Active employees have jobs they need to get back to. Retirees have shuffleboard games that could likely get rescheduled. Sorry for being an insensitive prat, I'm sure if the shoe is on the other foot, I'll be preaching for SP travel for retirees.
[post="293296"][/post]​
:down: It goes by Date of Hire and after 381/2 yrs I deserve it. :eek: Not all Retirees are DEAD as you seem to think. We have other jobs, travel and have Family also! You are Very insensitive. Plus, we have LOST everything else from this Damn- US

JS said:
The IRS enforces tax law. They don't write tax law. If you don't think that income in the form of goods and services should be taxable, tell Congress. Congress won't change it, because if you count only US dollars as taxable, we will turn into a barter economy.

The tax basis is an ID90, and the figure on which the 90% off is taken is published by the airline. The airline has 100% control over the taxable value of an ID90. Go complain to them, because that can be changed overnight.
[post="293097"][/post]​

Your right about the IRS not writing tax law, we should complian to congress. But for example the ID90 is based on the Y fare, why? Is that and IRS interpitation?
It should be based on the lowest fare in that market. If an employee where to buy a ticket we certianly would buy far enough in advance to get the lowest fare. So the implied benefit is shouldn't be based on last minute walk up fare.

Normal tvl arrangements on Star i.e. what ever has been negotiated. Some have the Zed fares, some dont. However, when boarding they board Star member employees before other OA on International flights but after their employees.

Over here at UA, we have probably the most expensive travel priveleges in the industry. On the flip side of it, our service is better in the sense that we are just one of two U.S. majors to fly with 3-class cabins. DL, NW, CO, and US having gone to just Business and Economy Class service. To give you an example, my mother just flew United First SFO-JFK (the p.s. service) and then United Business from (JFK-LHR). It cost her $128 one-way. So, it gets pricey. Of course, this is inclusive of all of the dreaded taxes. There is a bit of silver lining however; Normal pass travel boarding priority is BP-8. If we opt to go BP-10, then we pay no service charges whatsoever, but BP-10 is the lowest priority. So a junior employee who is traveling BP-8 will be boarded first. If there is lots of space on a flight, then BP-10 is the way to go. That being said, I need my comfort, and am willing to fork out some money to travel in a lie-flat bed in United First, rather than losing my priority and winding up in a coach seat. Admittedly, I am a non-rev snob and prefer my choice of movies and to sip french champagne when traveling abroad. Some employees could care less about those comforts. As crewmembers, we are also fortunate, because we can jumpseat, and in this day and age of reduced crew staffing, there is always a jumpseat available in the cabin on our widebodies (747-400's and 777's). If there are empty seats in United First or Business, we can take those. Plus, as jumpseaters, we are not required to be in uniform, which is nice. Oh...and let me just say that seniority order for boarding priority is only fair. I am an advocate of boarding according to date-of-hire (likewise, intergrating seniority lists).

Back