Democrats.....the gift that keeps on giving

See what I mean, Kevin?

Media Matters is scrambling to discredit a much-discussed report on America’s disability program by journalist Chana Joffe-Walt that was featured on Chicago’s Public Radio This American Life and National Public Radio’s (NPR) All Things Considered
Media Matters researcher Hannah Groch-Begley attacked NPR by breathlessly warning that a “misleading NPR report has become fodder for a right-wing media campaign to scapegoat federal disability benefits, despite the fact that the rise in disability claims can be attributed to the economic recession and demographic shifts.”

Among Joffe-Walt’s findings are the following facts:
  • The federal government spends more money each year on cash payments for disabled former workers than it does on food stamps and welfare combined; America’s two largest disability programs, including health care for disabled workers, costs taxpayers $260 billion a year
  • In some parts of the country, such as Hale County, Alabama, one out of every four working-age adults collects a disability check
  • As of 2011, 33.8% of newly diagnosed disabled workers cited “back pain and other musculoskeletal problems” as their reason for being unable to work.  In 1961, the top reason for being disabled was “heart disease, stroke”
  • Disabled workers do not get counted in the unemployment figures. If they did, the numbers would be far higher
  • Less than 1% of people who went on disability at the beginning of 2011 have returned to the workforce
  • The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program–which covers kids and adults–has exploded.  SSI is now seven times larger than it was 30 years ago.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2013/03/25/govt-spends-more-on-disability-than-food-stamps-and-welfare-combined/

Kev3188 said:
One of the articles your search points to puts the level at less than 1%...

Hunh.
Guess someone didnt read what they posted.

LOL

Buttercup

delldude said:
See what I mean, Kevin?

Among Joffe-Walts findings are the following facts:
  • The federal government spends more money each year on cash payments for disabled former workers than it does on food stamps and welfare combined; Americas two largest disability programs, including health care for disabled workers, costs taxpayers $260 billion a year
  • In some parts of the country, such as Hale County, Alabama, one out of every four working-age adults collects a disability check
  • As of 2011, 33.8% of newly diagnosed disabled workers cited back pain and other musculoskeletal problems as their reason for being unable to work.  In 1961, the top reason for being disabled was heart disease, stroke
  • Disabled workers do not get counted in the unemployment figures. If they did, the numbers would be far higher
  • Less than 1% of people who went on disability at the beginning of 2011 have returned to the workforce
  • The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) programwhich covers kids and adultshas exploded.  SSI is now seven times larger than it was 30 years ago.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2013/03/25/govt-spends-more-on-disability-than-food-stamps-and-welfare-combined/
A couple things jump out to me here:

First, the jump in back injuries as a reason for a claim. I wonder if there is a tie in to the ever increasing productivity demanded of American workers?

Second is the jump in SSI recipients. Is that increase simply a measure of a population (and accordant death) increase, or is there something more to it?

Before Pete has a seizure, those are both rhetorical questions...

• Banned
Kev3188 said:
No need to guess; I just scrolled down through the link you provided.

So again you liberals have a meltdown when corporations are involved with fraud, but when you are personally affected via your own tax payer money you have no problem. 

The liberal mind is a true wonder to behold.

Kev3188 said:
You said you were tired of seeing "them" load $200 worth of groceries onto a SNAP card and then into an Escalade. I asked where you had seen that, and you said at the store by your place.
So help me out here; you were close enough in line to see their method of payment. You then followed them out of the store long enough to see this same party load this same cart of food into an Escalade.
A picture may be worth a thousand words, but we both know what assuming does.
So was the SUV theirs? What did they say when you asked?
So it's okay to be driving a $500 dollar a month vehicle and purchasing your groceries via the tax payers dime.....got it!

And let's not forget the Mercedes and Beemers!

Kev3188 said:
A couple things jump out to me here:

First, the jump in back injuries as a reason for a claim. I wonder if there is a tie in to the ever increasing productivity demanded of American workers?

Second is the jump in SSI recipients. Is that increase simply a measure of a population (and accordant death) increase, or is there something more to it?

Before Pete has a seizure, those are both rhetorical questions...

Back injuries are the hardest to impugne, quite easy to fake.

The jump is from people near retirement age.....it's easier for someone in their early to mid fifties to get on SSID than someone in their thirties. Many who lost jobs around '07-'08 applied and got SSID for a myriad of reasons, all 'legit'.

Obama relaxed the standards for admission early on.

Kev3188 said:
That's certainly plausible, but since you mentioned children, I was thinking of survivorship benefits...

I believe if the bread winner goes on disability, it opens doors to programs like medicaid and so on for family. One doesn't qualify for stamps on full disability usually due to those asset tests.....depending where one lives....family size helps with that.

Kev3188 said:
May have changed, but it used to be that a minor received SSI if a parent died. Not sure about SNAP.

Until 18 still as far as I know.

Snap would be based on household income plus how many dependents there are.

Back