Delta Switches Shuttle To Md-80s

PHL said:
How do you figure?!??! SW all coach seating is 32" pitch. US domestic coach seating is 32", while the A330 has a great 33"-34" in coach.

Most other US airlines are in the 32" range, although AA still has some of their long haul aircraft configured with MRTC at 33-35".
[post="287777"][/post]​

The US 737-400 is 31" according to SeatGuru. What's worse is the quality of the seat cushion. Those seats have the comfort quality of an old city bus.

Delta (finally!) is refurbishing their mainline seats with the same type used on Song, new leather seats.

JS said:
Well, let's see, if I wanted to drive 250 miles each way to RDU (nearest WN city), yes I suppose I could shut up. But that seems pretty silly.

Like I said, you have a choice.... well, several in this option.
If travel is so miserable for you as it is now, why don't you get a job where you don't have to travel.

But wait... does that only apply to "overpaid" airline pilots to change jobs if they don't like the compensation and working conditions? (to recall some of your FT rants)

It's my understanding the Delta Shuttle will switch their aircraft from B737 to a MD-88 and this change may happen because the company will likely file for bankruptcy before October 18, and the B737s could be returned to the aircraft lessors with GECAS and others forcing the reduction. Sound familiar?

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
It's my understanding the Delta Shuttle will switch their aircraft from B737 to a MD-88 and this change may happen because the company will likely file for bankruptcy before October 18, and the B737s could be returned to the aircraft lessors with GECAS and others forcing the reduction. Sound familiar?

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="287866"][/post]​

The switch to MD88's has nothing to do with DL filing BK. DL has stated for almost a year now that the 733 will be eliminated from the fleet as part of DL's fleet simplification. GECAS isn't forcing anything...DL wants to get rid of these planes.

DLFlyer31 said:
The switch to MD88's has nothing to do with DL filing BK. DL has stated for almost a year now that the 733 will be eliminated from the fleet as part of DL's fleet simplification. GECAS isn't forcing anything...DL wants to get rid of these planes.
[post="287885"][/post]​

Right <_<

"I was gonna do it anyway..."

a320av8r said:
Right <_<

"I was gonna do it anyway..."
[post="287960"][/post]​

Actually this has been in the works for months. The leases on the 737G that are flying the Shuttle are very high. We got them when there were very few avaliable used aircraft. They also have been a pain from a mtc standpoint. Their avionics are very different from the rest of the fleet, making spares stocking a problem. That is one reason they are flying only Shuttle routes.

DLFlyer31 & DalMD88:

Delta may have decided earlier that it was going to remove B737s, but my comment yesterday is that I understand the carrier is holding discussions with GE about removing aircraft from the fleet and that was a driving factor in the change in Shuttle aircraft.

In regard to the Shuttle, if my memory serves me correctly, US Airways has increased its market share during the past couple years from 45% to 50%.

Shuttle traffic changes are:

Delta: 55% to 41%
US Airways: 45% to 55%
AMR Eagle: 0% to 9%

In addition, today the New York Times reported the Atlanta-based airline is also talking to GE about DIP financing.

See Story

In my opinion, Delta will file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on a Sunday, maybe on September 11, 2005. When this occurs, US Airways will see a bump in Fall traffic as Delta suffers from passengers "booking away" from the airline, just like what happened at US Airways and United Airlines during their "formal reorganizations".

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
In my opinion, Delta will file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on a Sunday, maybe on September 11, 2005. When this occurs, US Airways will see a bump in Fall traffic as Delta suffers from passengers "booking away" from the airline, just like what happened at US Airways and United Airlines during their "formal reorganizations".

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="288057"][/post]​

As a USAirways employee, you'd better hope DL isn't forced to file BK. It will be bad news for USAirways. Competing against BK carriers is no fun (just ask DL), as DL may resort to more fire sales.

A bankrupt DL and record high fuel prices will only further destabilize USAirways and its attempt at merging with HP.

A bankrupt DL and record high fuel prices will only further destabilize USAirways and its attempt at merging with HP.

"Sources close to DL management say the forward looking execs already have a plan for a quick exit from BK, predicated on the new USAirways going out of business."

sorry, I could not resist! Greeter

DLflyer31:

You're right bankruptcy is no fun. However, I disagree about your point on how bankruptcy will effect the new US Airways. Doug Parker has said that the new company will have unit costs lower than all of the legacy carrier's after they restructure, therefore, I'm not to scared about Delta or anybody else if Parker's comments are true.

By the way, here is another interesting article:

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

• Banned
And Dave Siegel said two rounds of concessions during the first bankruptcy, the addition of RJS and the creation of MDA would make US profitible.

Funny thing is a 1 1/2 later US was back in bankruptcy and Siegel was fired.

So is Parker you new idol?

I would think that Parker has shown more results in turning an airline around than our good ol' CEO of the past Siegel. A different breed all together.

• Banned
Here is some interesting reading on how poorly HP has treated their employees over the years.

HP History

I wouldn't wish bankruptcy on anybody (especially twice) but if somebody has to do it I'm glad its Delta.

700UW:

The difference between you and I is that if a event or situation changes and management takes a different position, you call the person a "liar", which is a very inflamatory word, and I look at the reality of the situation and then make a judgement.

US Airways' (and the industry's) problems will be no different for Doug Parker than they were for Seth Schofield, Stephen Wolf, Dave Siegel, or Bruce Lakefield.

US Airways is not out the woods by any means with current energy prices and I believe future labor negotiations are likely to be difficult.

In regard to your comment that "Dave Siegel said two rounds of concessions during the first bankruptcy, the addition of RJS and the creation of MDA would make US profitible," did anything change that made it more difficult to turn a profit?

How about LCC new aircraft orders for 500 new aircraft? How about Delta's SimliFares? How about LCC East Coast expansion? How about Internet booking driving down yields? How about the "bear market" and bond markert yields? How about energy prices? How about international used aircraft lease rates versus those held by legacy carrier's? How about Sothwest's fuel hedge program and the resultant effect on fares?

Did any of those points require a business plan change and were they Siegel's fault? There are many points about Siegel I did not like, but your comment is off-base regarding Parker.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Back