Delta Switches Shuttle To Md-80s

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
NEW YORK, Aug 11 (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL.N: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Thursday it would start flying larger planes on its shuttle service that links New York with Washington and Boston in a bid to compete more effectively on the lucrative route.

Click for story

US Airways spokesman Dave Castelveter said the airline uses modern 120-seat Airbus A320 planes on the route which it has no plans to change.

700UW said:
US Airways spokesman Dave Castelveter said the airline uses modern 120-seat Airbus A320 planes on the route which it has no plans to change.
[post="287494"][/post]​
Did something change? I thought the US Shuttle fleet was reconfigured to typical mainline configs, and that the routes were being flown by 120 seat A319s and by 733s.

At least that is what US Airways.com says.

Delta is taking MD88s that usually sit 14/128 and making them all coach to seat 134. Aside from the folks in F on US it seems like DL will have a competitive advantage.

whlinder said:
Did something change? I thought the US Shuttle fleet was reconfigured to typical mainline configs, and that the routes were being flown by 120 seat A319s and by 733s.

At least that is what US Airways.com says.

Delta is taking MD88s that usually sit 14/128 and making them all coach to seat 134. Aside from the folks in F on US it seems like DL will have a competitive advantage.
[post="287511"][/post]​

Typical reporters. They should have said "Airbus 320 Series aircraft" or just plain "Airbus 319 aircraft"

-JC

whlinder said:
[post="287511"][/post]​

US took the 733s off the Shuttle in February, it's been all A319 since.

US's pretty new A319s are absolutely nicer than DL's relatively old MD-88s. Laptop power at every seat, for one thing. Quieter, too.

ringmaruf said:
US took the 733s off the Shuttle in February, it's been all A319 since.

US's pretty new A319s are absolutely nicer than DL's relatively old MD-88s. Laptop power at every seat, for one thing. Quieter, too.
[post="287522"][/post]​

I disagree about cabin noise. The MD88s sound quieter to me that the A320 series.

The Delta all coach product will have a significantly greater pitch and only 20% are middle seats, as opposed to 33% as opposed to Y on US Airways.

Noise depends where you sit in the cabin...

The first 10 rows on the 88 are very quiet....no engine noise. But the further you go back the worse it gets.

The Airbus fleet has wider seats vs the 88...but it's got more middle seats.

If Delta wanted a winner for the customers...they would put 112 seats in the 2 by 2 configuration....lots of room!!

But that would be thinking about the customer....and we all know that the majors haven't done that in quite a long time!

smfav8r said:
Noise depends where you sit in the cabin...

The first 10 rows on the 88 are very quiet....no engine noise. But the further you go back the worse it gets.

The Airbus fleet has wider seats vs the 88...but it's got more middle seats.

If Delta wanted a winner for the customers...they would put 112 seats in the 2 by 2 configuration....lots of room!!

But that would be thinking about the customer....and we all know that the majors haven't done that in quite a long time!
[post="287585"][/post]​

Four seats across instead of five would require 25% higher fares. Even on the Shuttle, that will not work.

smfav8r said:
[post="287585"][/post]​
Perhaps if "the customer" was willing to pay fares in sufficient numbers that would make operating such a low-density configuration profitable, "the majors" would be providing it.

Unfortunately for airlines, airline employees, and the relatively few customers that ARE willing to pay for it, the masses continually prove that low fares are the priority, no matter what.

Another U advantage of the 319 over the MD88 (I think) is overhead storae space, I thnink the MD88 bins are somewhat smaller than on the 319, please correct me if I am wrong !

LGA777

Trust me Bear, as an airline employee who has been furloughed a couple of times, I can't stand to see $99 fares from the north-east to FL......it's just stupid!

I know for a fact that customers are willing to pay high dollar for service, I see it in other aspects of the aviation.

I think the masses prove that cheapest is best; because the airlines allow it.

My Grand-Father used to say, "Buy Cheap, Buy Twice!"

If a frequent flier buy's cheap over and over it's going to bite them in the a$$.

Delays, cancellations or even worse....death!

Marketing is everything, just look at SouthWest!!!

The SW product is nothing to right home about....but they are great with marketing.

If any of the majors could get a marketing department that would show why spending more on (USAirways for example) is better for you and your own personal safety; John Q Passenger would be paying a lot more for tickets.

And be happy about paying more.

smfav8r said:
Trust me Bear, as an airline employee who has been furloughed a couple of times, I can't stand to see $99 fares from the north-east to FL......it's just stupid!

I know for a fact that customers are willing to pay high dollar for service, I see it in other aspects of the aviation.

I think the masses prove that cheapest is best; because the airlines allow it.

My Grand-Father used to say, "Buy Cheap, Buy Twice!"

If a frequent flier buy's cheap over and over it's going to bite them in the a$$.

Delays, cancellations or even worse....death!

I thought these obselete arguments would have ended by now, but I guess you've missed the news that discount carriers are actually successful and growing? The 1970's are over and aren't coming back.

The idea that fare paid = safety was tried by AA against the proposed airline deregulation bill. They lost. Fares have fallen and people aren't getting killed left and right like AA had predicted.

Marketing is everything, just look at SouthWest!!!

The SW product is nothing to right home about....but they are great with marketing.

Huh? Except for UA E+, a coach seat on a Southwest plane beats any other airline, especially US Airways.

If any of the majors could get a marketing department that would show why spending more on (USAirways for example) is better for you and your own personal safety; John Q Passenger would be paying a lot more for tickets.

And be happy about paying more.
[post="287626"][/post]​

right :rolleyes:

JS said:
Huh? Except for UA E+, a coach seat on a Southwest plane beats any other airline, especially US Airways.

As I and others keep telling you, primarily on FlyerTalk, why don't you stick to flying Southwest and spare the rest of us your complaining?

Remember, even when you fly a route with no competition, there's ALWAYS a choice. Obviously for you going is more important than not flying US Airways.

JAXPax said:
As I and others keep telling you, primarily on FlyerTalk, why don't you stick to flying Southwest and spare the rest of us your complaining?

Remember, even when you fly a route with no competition, there's ALWAYS a choice. Obviously for you going is more important than not flying US Airways.
[post="287740"][/post]​

Well, let's see, if I wanted to drive 250 miles each way to RDU (nearest WN city), yes I suppose I could shut up. But that seems pretty silly.

JS said:

How do you figure?!??! SW all coach seating is 32" pitch. US domestic coach seating is 32", while the A330 has a great 33"-34" in coach.

Most other US airlines are in the 32" range, although AA still has some of their long haul aircraft configured with MRTC at 33-35".

Back