Buddy Pass Scheme at PHL

CO's pda site shows the flight standby and upgrade standby lists. I have often noticed people listed for both, so I just presume these are non-revs. There is no indication of status on the standby lists, and I have seen names leapfrog over other names. It has been explained to me by someone pretty high up at CO that the automated upgrade sweeps are prioritized differently than the gate upgrades which are manually cleared by the GA's. Other travelers I know have caught gate agents red-handed upgrading their friends.

I was on a UA flight a couple of months ago where #19 on the gate monitor flight standby list leapfrogged right over me (#2). I happened to be standing right next to the podium, and heard the GA thank the man for his "service to our country." I ended up getting the last seat on the flight. The only reason why I did not complain to UA is because the man was obviously in the military, and I felt it my duty to defer (even if it meant being #1 of the standby losers).

The bottom line is that when a GA has the power and authority to close out a flight and clear standbys and upgraders, there is always the potential to abuse that power and authority, or to make a moral or ethical decision as to who deserves it more. It's up to the airline to properly train their GA's on the procedures, and hold those who do not follow them accountable.

Seniority is a dumb concept for most job duties, it is ridicules for any non job activity like non reving!
First one to book should be the first one on. If you make plans to be on that flight 3 months out, you shouldn't be bumped because someone decided to take that flight 90 minutes before departure and they just happened to have worked for the company longer. Obviously employees over guest passes and other airline people, but within the level booking date should take priority.

LOL.... "tape it to the podium...." not poking fun at you but, in times where almost every airline has GIDS at their gates, your idea would just be a wonderful idea that would bring to full circle - the ghetto-ness at US Airways.

So far behind the others, but hey, what can ya say.... it's Ghetto west airways.
As I recall I first saw this at CO.

I believe Delta was the airline that invented the GIDS technology back in the early 2000. It was a phenomenal system that also allowed employees to track the standby list remotely via TravelNET. Highlights of that system were, amongst others, the ability to track (live) every movement of the clearing process of the standby list from any location through the web. So you could see (live) if your parents in Paris got on and what seat they got.

I soon started seeing Continental get GIDS as well and then United Airlines. Then Lufthansa obtained a scaled down version of it. And now AA has them too.

It'll be 2020, and US will probably then start thinking about getting it once they are forced to do it due to the embarrassment of falling so far behind its peers.

Seniority is a dumb concept for most job duties, it is ridicules for any non job activity like non reving!

You must be junior... all airlines are DOH

Sorry but that is life... and its now your life! LOL It has been mine for the last 30 years... here... so now get used to it...
Or I have and idea??? You can quit... but that does me no good cuz you are junior to me...

So I get on first...

Back