Alpa Code-a-phone Update - 3/20/05

What date of hire is the most junoir U pilot. How many pilots are still flying. over 1800 pilots on the street is a lot of pilots.

According to APC

Most junior captain hired Feb 1986 (737/base unknown)
Most junior first officer hired Jul 1988

I'm sure one of the AAA ALPA members here has better information.

Clue,

You're right - Jul 1988 is junior mainline active pilot.

I'm showing Dec 1985 for junior captain, but that is probably changing today with the awarding of the latest bid - depends on how the loss of planes in May vs attrition works out.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
......vs attrition works out.

Jim
[post="257924"][/post]​

Just curious....where are the guys going that leave USAirways? I know JetBlue is hiring some for the Airbus experience. Is Southwest hiring some? Are some going overseas? Besides other airlines, are some doing non-flying occupations?

Cfm56 said:
Just curious....where are the guys going that leave USAirways? I know JetBlue is hiring some for the Airbus experience. Is Southwest hiring some? Are some going overseas? Besides other airlines, are some doing non-flying occupations?
[post="257931"][/post]​
All of the above.....JetBlue is getting several of our Airbus pilots, Southwest is taking some B-737 drivers, and foreign carriers are hiring as well. I am taking early retirement as of April 1 and am going in a whole different direction and will be working in real estate sales and development. So, it just depends on the individual pilot.....some are opting to hang in with the airline and hope for the best, while others are starting over with another airline, and some are beginning careers in unrelated industries.

oldbscaler said:
over 1800 pilots on the street is a lot of pilots.
[post="257907"][/post]​

Actually, the number is 1590 as of the last bid. There were originally 1879, but attrition among the furloughed ranks - retiring, resigning, a few deaths - have reduced the number.

Still, roughly 1/3 of those on the seniority list.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
Actually, the number is 1590 as of the last bid. There were originally 1879, but attrition among the furloughed ranks - retiring, resigning, a few deaths - have reduced the number.

Still, roughly 1/3 of those on the seniority list.

Jim
[post="257934"][/post]​

200 plus sounds like a lot... does the 1590 count view it as if the ones who accepted the jet4jobs are "not on furlough"?

Regards,

Phoenix

To answer your question first, it does not count those furloughed pilots at MDA or J4J's slots at any of the express operators. The "furloughed" on the mainline list are those furloughed from mainline.

While 299 may seem like a lot of furloughed pilots to drop off the list, there are primarily two factors.

Because we furloughed so many, quite a few were older and have reached the mandatory retirement age while on furlough. For example, there are 13 furloughed pilots who will reach age 60 in the remainder of this year.

Second, most other airlines require furloughees hired by them to submit a resignation letter to their previous employer (though obviously not for the J4J's pilots).

Actually, of the 1590 still listed as furloughed, a significant number would not return if recalled. They've moved on with their career at other places that don't require resigning from US (corporate, for example) or moved on to other endeavors. The last time we had a big recall, in the late 90's, only about half the furloughees accepted recall.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
Actually, of the 1590 still listed as furloughed, a significant number would not return if recalled. They've moved on with their career at other places that don't require resigning from US (corporate, for example) or moved on to other endeavors. The last time we had a big recall, in the late 90's, only about half the furloughees accepted recall.

Jim
[post="258102"][/post]​

Would not return... yep.

Believe recall is actualy a remote possibilty... Nope.

If U ever does have a recal I would expect a very small number to return, unless of course about 3,000 pilots have already retired. I can think of 1,800 pilots who would come back for a month or so just to vote for the elimination of the pension and medical plans... exempting those who retired before 2002.

Back