UA Closing JFK Operations, moving p.s. over to EWR

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, the OP did not discuss staffing or the displacement of employees. it is right here and there is no reference to employees.

Hot on the wires.... UA closing down its operations at JFK, and moving all PS service over to EWR. DL is apparently either buying up UA's slots or trading them for facilities/slots elsewhere.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-16/nyc-california-flight-duel-expands-as-united-adds-flat-bed-seats
The only issue of debate in this thread has been regarding UA's staffing.

Everyone recognizes that it is sad that UA is leaving JFK but understands the strategic reasons why they are doing what they are doing.

how about instead you focus on some business related issue that has been raised in the topic - or add one that hasn't been mentioned but which doesn't involve attacks on another poster.

eolesen said:
Enough already....

This thread was started to discuss the displacements of active employees, not an industry outsider's view of productivity.

I'll suggest that everyone else just move along and ignore WT's typical sideshow to divert/deflect a discussion into whatever he wants to focus on...
TSH or any other actual UAL employee--

Given that NYC is a single point, can these people exercise into LGA or over to EWR?

Does UA currently have line mtx. (or stores) in LGA?

Kev3188 said:

Given that NYC is a single point, can these people exercise into LGA or over to EWR?

Yes, Kev

I suspect the specific crews for the PS service will follow the aircraft to EWR - the remainder (MRO/Customer, GSE, Facilities, etc) may split between EWR & LGA.  If United has to surplus off the NYC point, our CBA will allow them to exercise their seniority on the UAL system.

This is for maintenance. I'm not certain what the situation is with Ramp & CS - I do know that CS had specific people for PS that should follow to EWR like the mechanics but again I don't know if their CBA calls for/allows it happen that way.

TSH

wait... so UA has specific mechanics for PS aircraft but yet you told us that mechanics from JFK could be asked to go to other airports - which it turns out have maintenance on their own?

are UA mechanics specialized in a specific aircraft type such as the 757?

where in ANY UA labor contract other than the pilots does it give people who work PS priority over other employees or aircraft specific priority to follow the aircraft when UA decides to move it around the system?

WorldTraveler said:
wait... so UA has specific mechanics for PS aircraft but yet you told us that mechanics from JFK could be asked to go to other airports - which it turns out have maintenance on their own?

are UA mechanics specialized in a specific aircraft type such as the 757?

where in ANY UA labor contract other than the pilots does it give people who work PS priority over other employees or aircraft specific priority to follow the aircraft when UA decides to move it around the system?

You tell me

You who know SO much about our operations to call them overstaffed should be able to easily answer all these questions.

Most CBAs contain language if your work is moved you can follow the work for maintenance that is.

ThirdSeatHero said:
Yes, Kev

I suspect the specific crews for the PS service will follow the aircraft to EWR - the remainder (MRO/Customer, GSE, Facilities, etc) may split between EWR & LGA.  If United has to surplus off the NYC point, our CBA will allow them to exercise their seniority on the UAL system.

This is for maintenance. I'm not certain what the situation is with Ramp & CS - I do know that CS had specific people for PS that should follow to EWR like the mechanics but again I don't know if their CBA calls for/allows it happen that way.

TSH
Good info. Thank you.

But only if UA creates thise positions at EWR right?

Otherwise then it goes to a system bump right

If JFK was overstaffed UA just might be getting rid of the surplus which will come at the bottom of the list now right?

WorldTraveler said:
But only if UA creates thise positions at EWR right? Otherwise then it goes to a system bump right If JFK was overstaffed UA just might be getting rid of the surplus which will come at the bottom of the list now right?

No - the mechanics will be able follow the work as our CBA clearly states

In other words, the IAM contract discourages moving checks (eg moving some B checks from JFK to LAX) like another airline routinely does. It's a bit of a handcuff perhaps, but it Keeps the company honest and prevents playing stations against each other.

Kev3188 said:

Yes.
This is the NY Point in the IAM contract. (EWR; JFK; LGA)  This is between CSE and RSE. About 200 affected.
The funny thing is that some of the furloughees that came back to EWR were from JFK and LGA. We needed help here because some of the furloughees won't come back and found other things. So some people came from the two other stations to help out for the summer. Of course , I'm only speaking for the ramp. Since this is a "displacement" due to a station closing not due to outsourcing, the contract says that you can take your first choice option within the point. If there is a bump, anyone displaced can bump into the system if you lose your spot in the point.

I don't know that will happen, but IMHO, I don't thank that there will be a major bump and flush here. If anything, some of the furloughees that are low on the seniority list won't be able to come back after the summer. I think there is nearly a hundred (I think a bit less) RSE, and the way that EWR has been treated compared to the rest of the system (except DEN), I hope that people who want to come here can be absorbed. As far as MX, that is a IBT thing and I can't speak on that.

SFO is growing though...........

No - the mechanics will be able follow the work as our CBA clearly states
so, what work above line maintenance does UA do on those aircraft at JFK - that question was asked previously?

and is line maintenance considered work that can be followed?

if so, what is the work that can be moved without having the mechanics be able to follow?

and if it is only because UA is moving those PS 757 aircraft to EWR while grounding other 757s, are you telling me that UA will give priority to mechanics from JFK while eliminating mechanics at EWR who maintained 757s that are being grounded?

and E's statements are simply inflammatory and unsubstantiated - but that is what we have come to expect from him - faulty and inaccurate information and fly off the handle conclusions.

and T5's comment makes the most sense and says the issue is not about following maintenance but maintaining one's job within the point and bumping those that can't hold it any longer regardless of the aircraft being serviced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back