Trip Report 8/6-8/7

You don't have to be sorry US1YFARE. You are an example of someone that is pissed off with the company and takes it out on the frontline employees.

No, you must have me mistaken with someone else...I don't take anything out on frontline employees...i just think, when I see people like you, at least I have a husband.

Amen to your response!

Ah, and you missed post #24.

Thank you GuntherA320. I am writing this weekend--not to Exxon Mobil as instructed by the FA but to the Sandcastle.

I didn't get in trouble with my boss for the fact that the GA refused to give me a higher boarding priority in row 7 than a 5 even though I had an outrageously priced ticket. In fact my boss, owner of the company is so outraged that he has issued orders that no one is to fly US Airways without a desparate excuse and his express permission. Absent that, they have to pay for it themselves. So there you go--another national company issuing orders not to fly US Airways; all over a glass of water and a seating priority.

And the fact that they have secret shoppers to ensure that FA's don't give a glass of water to a choking passenger (if that is the case) makes me sick. It is so against anything that is taught in any business school. Read From Worst to First--Gordon will tell you how to do it. Read Winning--Jack Welch tells you how to do it. The guys in Tempe don't get it!

Again, this makes me want to cry as I used to be so proud to say where my husband works (well I still am--but only because he doesn't work for US Airways any longer).

My issue with boarding priority was on the return. It only came up because my boss, the owner of the company, called very
HRDiva

Not sure what your boss being the owner of the company has to do with anything, but if it was that important he should have sent the company jet for you

I didn't get in trouble with my boss for the fact that the GA refused to give me a higher boarding priority in row 7 than a 5 even though I had an outrageously priced ticket.

An agent CAN NOT change the zone on your boarding pass. It depends on your status or THE SEAT you are assigned. The only way to get a lower zone would be to go towards the back of the plane, bulkhead, or window or middle seat. An aisle in the front will be the lowest zone. People think the agents put the zones on there, but we dont. It is all done by the computer per the above requirements and the agent has no way to change it to show a different zone. And once again, it doesnt matter what you paid for your ticket (unfortunately) coach is considered coach by current policy and procedures and there is no way to differentiate your fare compared to others in the computer, fa printout or boarding priority.

OK, I did not book a flight with a tight train connection. I booked my flight. This morning my boss, the owner of the company, asked me to be a part of a very important meeting. I told him of my flight plans and said that I would do my best to get the first train out when we arrived. Unfortunately, I had to get the next train out due to the GA's lack of empowerment or else just lack of caring. And while he told me I should have booked the $15 exit row seats, they were already gone.

I did not ask for anything for free. I just expressed my concern over the policy. The FA lashed out at me with a diatribe about Exxon Mobil. Yes he was gay--he said so. That is why he chose to leave the Marines and not take a high powered position that would require him to travel to the Pentagon, so he said. I don't care about that. I care about the attitude of the company that does not empower employees to take care of customers who pay high fares.

Oh, and my husband does not work for SWA--they don't unbundle. See you assume so much and are so very wrong GuntherA320. Again, FA's getting fingers shoved in their face is unfortunate, but not the issue I am presenting. That is like the GA saying to me that he has another passenger with a 10 minute connection. That is not the issue.

Yes it is a new airline. The model stinks--don't you get it?

This will be a case for HBR.
I for ONE have heard more than I care to listen to about YOUR "Pity Party". RULES ARE RULES and they don't change or get altered just because Y-O-U are part of the equation. I do not excuse rude behavior from surly employees or OVERLY Inquisitive Customers who feel they are better than the next person. It is very apparent that You may think you ARE The Center of YOUR UNIVERSE.........but you certainly aren't any part of mine. There are MANY people like yourselves out there (and I even have a few in my family that could be catergorized as such) but all I can say is "Be GONE Like the Wind". PATHETIC!

There are MANY people like yourselves out there (and I even have a few in my family that could be catergorized as such) but all I can say is "Be GONE Like the Wind". PATHETIC!

As a frequent flier myself, I have seen far too many people cop an attitude with frontline employees who have no control over either weather, company policy or mechanical breakdowns. Everyone gets frustrated when traveling, but the frustration is usually vented at those who were the least responsible and with no control to change anything. Someone who has to constantly remind everyone that their boss is the owner of the company - most likely conveyed an "i am more important than you attitude" - which is the surest turnoff to any front line service employee and almost a guarantee to have them follow the book TO THE LETTER.

A smile, please and thank you will do more to get you an exit row aisle than discussing the price of your ticket or the status of your boss.

An old joke - A private, not paying attention to where he was walking, bumped into a general and spilled his coffee....the private, aghast, apologized and say I am sorry sir I didn't know you were a general - to which the general replied - don't worry , just be glad I wasn't a second lieutenant....

[ I had to get the next train out due to the GA's lack of empowerment or else just lack of caring. And while he told me I should have booked the $15 exit row seats, they were already gone.

I did not ask for anything for free. I just expressed my concern over the policy. The FA lashed out at me with a diatribe about Exxon Mobil. Yes he was gay--he said so. That is why he chose to leave the Marines and not take a high powered position that would require him to travel to the Pentagon, so he said. I don't care about that. I care about the attitude of the company that does not empower employees to take care of customers who pay high fares.

Yes it is a new airline. The model stinks--don't you get it?

This will be a case for HBR.

At one time the front line employees did have such empowerment to keep the customer happy. I knew of FA's that occasionally gave a beer away to keep a psgr happy. Or a CSA that let a regular psgr check a bag that was a few lbs overweight. Unfortunately it didn't work. Consumer Affairs received contless letters from angry customers, why did they get an upgrade and I didn't? How come they got a meal voucher and no one fed me? Then you had other CSA's running to the CSM to rat on someone that bent a rule. Believe me, it caused more problems than it was worth. By the way, do you thing anyone backed up the individual who was trying to provide exceptional service?

The "Issue" here is really a Management one.

It's funny that Tempe can expend precious resources trying to identify posters here and elsewhere but when it comes to taking a proactive stance and addressing the low morale they're broke.

Crystal City did the same thing.

A FlyerTalker did a post a few years ago about some stuff we did in our station to take care of our customers - was nothing but PRAISE to my staff & myself - yet I got written up by management about it (even though I had 3 letters submitted and made me a Super Star for the week, as well as 2 of my agents) because we violated USAirways policy... anyway, the write up caused me to miss out on a chunk of my raise.

:angry:

From an employee standpoint I do admit one of SWAs great asset is 100% consistency. They never bend rules for anyone and their management always backs the employee.
Most other carriers if the customer ask to speak to a manager even when the employee is following policy they will “Give the passenger a breakâ€￾ and make an exception.

When Management creates an atmoshere of fear and intimidation trip reports like this one increase.
I honestly don't think there are employess who are "fearful or intimidated" by management. They simply no longer care. They are tired of apologizing for managements poor decisions and ineptitude. I no longer say "I'm sorry"---I do offer a smile and a thank you and am polite but there is no way I am apologizing for those Tempe morons any longer. For every complaint, I offer the usairways.com website as well as the FAA.gov consumer complaints site.
That's all that "marine" in the back of the aircraft had to do. Instead he ran his mouth and made himself look like an idiot. What a shame ! Even worse, we have to work with him.

I honestly don't think there are employess who are "fearful or intimidated" by management. They simply no longer care.

I agree but it is far more a product of the last 20 years not the last 2. This isn't the job they signed on for 20-30 years ago and they resent that very much..

Back