Senior
Dec 23, 2003
Report Paints Dire Picture of US Air

Pilots' Union Bankers See Failure
Or Bankruptcy Soon Without Cuts
By SUSAN CAREY
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
August 13, 2004

Investment bankers working for the pilots union at US Airways Group warned that the carrier could fail in the near future and is highly likely to file for bankruptcy-court protection by mid-September without needed cost cuts.

The somber 26-page report, dated July 14 and released this week to 3,400 members of the Air Line Pilots Association, essentially validated management's dire assessment of the company's financial health and its poor prospects without quick cost cuts. The report -- prepared by Glanzer & Co., longtime banker for the union -- was distributed amid a logjam in negotiations between the company and the pilots over givebacks.

Various creditors of the nation's seventh-largest airline already have put claims on its cash to minimize their exposure when and if US Airways collapses, the report said. "Any one of these creditors or financing parties can cause the equivalent of a run on the bank. If any one of them begins executing these capital calls, they all will and the airline will fail." The banker also pointed out that US Airways "might be worth more dead than alive to groups other than the employees," because some of its assets could be used more profitably by other airlines.

Capt. Bill Pollock, chairman of the ALPA group at US Airways, in a cover letter introducing the report, said the union's leadership council "does not disagree in principal with the conclusions" reached by Glanzer. "The reality of our financial situation speaks for itself," he said. Copies sent by e-mail to the pilots were redacted to protect sensitive financial information.

US Airways, based in Arlington, Va., said it concurs with the report's conclusion that it is in the best interest of the company and its labor unions to quickly reach consensual agreements that will reduce expenses and help it implement its turnaround plan.

The company lowered its costs significantly when it was in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for eight months in 2002 and 2003. But it has been unable to thrive, because the domestic revenue environment now is controlled by discount airlines that have low costs and thus can afford to charge low fares. And recently, fuel prices have skyrocketed. In the first half of this year, US Airways posted a net loss of $143 million.

For the past several months, US Airways management has been trying to further reduce expenses and entice the unions to the bargaining table to discuss labor savings worth $800 million a year. ALPA, which is being asked to kick in $295 million of the total, has been the most receptive to negotiations, but the talks recently have bogged down.

The Glanzer report, which had intended to poke holes in US Airways' assumptions, turnaround plan and requests for labor concessions, didn't find many. US Airways' plan, which calls for it to model itself after discounters such as America West Holdings, JetBlue Airways and AirTran Holdings, "is a thoughtful effort to devise a viable business plan, considering the company's assets and financial condition," the report said.

The report said carriers such as UAL Corp.'s United Airlines, Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines "are expected to consider some version of the same in light of the revenue environment."

The bankers also concluded that the labor savings that US Airways is seeking aren't out of line, and "only on such basis would such a [turnaround] plan be potentially workable." They said the company seems to have taken full advantage of its first bankruptcy to reduce costs, and said they didn't see other significant opportunities for expense cutting, save for further employee givebacks, terminating other unions' pension plans or throttling back capital expenditures. The pilots plan was terminated in last year's Chapter 11.

The report said the pilots have two choices: negotiate a contract that gives US Airways a discount-carrier cost structure and get some returns for the sacrifice, or "be prepared to accept liquidation, or, less likely, the imposition of contractual terms that will be more severe" in bankruptcy proceedings.

The next few weeks are critical to US Airways. It has a $130 million pension-plan contribution due on Sept. 15 that will consume precious cash if the company pays it. Its regional-jet financing arrangements with two manufacturers and General Electric Co. run out on Sept. 30 in the absence of a turnaround. And it is in danger of defaulting on Sept. 30 on the terms of a big federally guaranteed loan that helped the company step out of Chapter 11 in March 2003.

In 4 p.m. Nasdaq Stock Market trading, US Airways fell nine cents to $2.54

Report for US Airways pilots

By Tom Belden

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

PHILADELPHIA - A report prepared by financial consultants to US Airways pilots' union concludes that the airline will probably have to file for bankruptcy court protection by mid-September if it does not get new cost-cutting contracts with its labor groups by then.

The report to the Air Line Pilots Association says the union has little choice but to accept that US Airways must make deep cuts in labor costs to survive. Without the cost cuts, the pilots should "be prepared to accept liquidation" of US Airways, or even more onerous contract terms than those that are being offered now, the report said.

The report was prepared by Glanzer & Co., an investment banking firm. A copy of the report was obtained from sources in the pilots union who asked not to be identified.

US Airways, the dominant airline at Philadelphia International Airport, operated in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection from August 2002 through March 2003.

The Glanzer report, which had intended to poke holes in US Airways' assumptions, turnaround plan and requests for labor concessions, didn't find many. US Airways' plan, which calls for it to model itself after discounters such as America West Holdings, JetBlue Airways and AirTran Holdings, "is a thoughtful effort to devise a viable business plan, considering the company's assets and financial condition," the report said.

The bankers also concluded that the labor savings that US Airways is seeking aren't out of line, and "only on such basis would such a [turnaround] plan be potentially workable."

The report said the pilots have two choices: negotiate a contract that gives US Airways a discount-carrier cost structure and get some returns for the sacrifice, or "be prepared to accept liquidation, or, less likely, the imposition of contractual terms that will be more severe" in bankruptcy proceedings.

USA320Pilot comments: The two choices are the same for every employee group. Either participate in the new business plan and get some returns or be prepared to accept liquidation, or, less likely, the imposition of contractual terms that will be more severe (e.g. PAIN)".

The more unions that participate in the new business plan prior to a mid-Setpember filing, the better the chances there will not be a "fun on the bank."

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
USA320Pilot comments: The two choices are the same for every employee group. Either participate in the new business plan and get some returns or be prepared to accept liquidation, or, less likely, the imposition of contractual terms that will be more severe (e.g. PAIN)".

USA320:

Before all the vitriol starts from the "It's all managements fault" groupies I'd like to ask a question on your above comment. You phrased it in a very interesting way and I don't know if you put these terms in that order on purpose. But here is what I read:

1. Participate.
2. Accept liquidation.
3. Or LESS LIKELY, face imposed contractual terms.

That was a very interesting way of phrasing the "what if's". Does this mean that you now feel that items 1 and 2 are more likely and item 3 (even though you only listed 2, I counted 3) is getting less and less likely? BTW, thanks for putting up with all the vitriol from the usual suspects (and dealing with them respectfully) and please continue to post on. You certainly bring much more substance to this discussion than they do.

Just one more point...

What's important about this report is that it's not the Company making the claim, it's ALPA's Financial Advisor and Investment Banker who his highly respected in the financial community. In addition, the MEC voted 12-0, hardliners and moderates alike, to publicly release the findings so that there would be no secrets and the true story could be told.

From a business perspective, the comprehensive and detailed report, which had intended to poke holes in US Airways' assumptions, turnaround plan and requests for labor concessions, didn't find many. US Airways' plan, which calls for it to model itself after discounters such as America West Holdings, JetBlue Airways and AirTran Holdings, "is a thoughtful effort to devise a viablebusiness plan, considering the company's assets and financial condition," the report said.

This report has validated the "Transformation Plan", which would make US Airways the first legacy carrier to truly adapt to the new economic reality. There is still time for every labor group to roll up their sleeves and negotiate reasonable contract terms. I know for fact that management's contract thoughts are openers and Bruce Lakefield is open to discussion/suggestions. I spent 4.5 hours with the man yesterday and watched ideas and contract items thrown back and forth across the table for 4.5 hours, which validated my opinion that he is a man of integrity and he is willing to work with the unions.

From ALPA's perspective, there is reason to believe the company has moved away from many of their previous proposals and will give the Negotiating Committee all the information that they need to come to the savings level US Airways needs to survive.

As I said in another post, I believe the events of this week including the ALPA MEC resolutions and yesterday's candid meeting were a watershed event.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

P.S. Even though US Airways is hedged by about 33%, spot fuel prices are killing the company.

We all must do what we feel is right for ourselves. My own opinon is the only return I will get is walking papers with more concessions so I am left with no choice.

CapnCockroach:

I did not have an order of intent, but let me give you my candid view of US Airways' current state of affairs.

ALPA's chief financial advisor has now validated the new business plan.

The ALPA International E&FA Department is now working on "confidential" numbers over the weekend and with the company to place a valuation on contract terms.

Management has moved away from its previous erroneous proposals, their was a true partnership to solve our problems at yesterday's meeting, and even some of the so called "hardliners" complemented Bruce Lakefield.

With that said, here's how I believe this will play out.

1. ALPA and the company will obtain a TA that is closer to America West than JetBlue, with many of today's current contract work rules in place.

2. The AFA and three TWU units will obtain new agreements. This is the only way the AFA will save their pension, which could see a default on September 15.

3. The CWA could obtain a deal too that would permit Rez at home.

4. Once the A320 heavy maintenance arbitration opinion & award is released than the IAM will engage the company. I believe a deal could be reached between the two IAM units and the company, but maybe not.

Lakefield said that if we have ALPA on-board, the odds significantly increase that the creditors would support the company in bankruptcy. Moreover, he indicated the more unions that support the plan and the less number of S.1113 motions that would need to be filed with the court, the greater the odds are for a successful reorganization. Furthermore, chief financial officer Dave Davis said he believes the ATSB would support the company in bankruptcy and the more deals in place, the better off the company would be.

Again, Lakefield is committed to running the company and is not looking to cut new accords and run. Without all of the emotional rhetoric, I am cautiously optimistic the Company can be turned around without a bankruptcy filing, but time is short with about 30 days for all of the unions to reach new accords.

Respectfully,

USA320pilot

USA320Pilot said:
From a business perspective, the comprehensive and detailed report, which had intended to poke holes in US Airways' assumptions, turnaround plan and requests for labor concessions, didn't find many. US Airways' plan, which calls for it to model itself after discounters such as America West Holdings, JetBlue Airways and AirTran Holdings, "is a thoughtful effort to devise a viablebusiness plan, considering the company's assets and financial condition," the report said.

Creating a plan and executing a plan are two separate things...

So the company has a "thoughtful effort to devise a viable business plan..." So what? It took the company 4 years to execute the plan to create a business plan. (Remember Raekesh and Wolf: "There is no Plan B." I guess they weren't lying...)

Now they have a business plan, fine. But I am supposed to expect that they will be able to execute the plan immediately, even though this company has not been able to execute anything quickly? I don't buy it... Let's look at some things the company implemented:

Go Fares... implemented in the Summer of 2004 as a response to LCC incursion which began eating UAIR alive in 1989.

PIT Hub downsizing... Announced in March 2003 just prior to BK exit, implentation begins in the Fall of 2004 (1.5 years after the announcement)

PHL rolling hub... mentioned in BK (Oct 02-Mar 03), and partially implemented by fall of 2004, 2 years later.

Those are just off the top of my head.

And, as we know, bankrupt airlines cannot hedge fuel due to the fact that BK airlines can void hedge contracts, thus there is no reason for the investment firms to enter into the agreement... So what is UAIR's "plan" to deal with oil at $42+/bbl when they cannot hedge? I'll bet they don't have one. As it is now, the company has only just begun hedging, as opposed to LUV, who had intelligently hedged well before fuel prices skyrocketed.

Well, let's talk about the Glanzer report...

"From a business perspective, the comprehensive and detailed report, which had intended to poke holes in US Airways' assumptions, turnaround plan and requests for labor concessions, didn't find many."

But he did find a few, and acknowledged that he has no expertise in airline operations so couldn't really tell if all avenues of cost savings (other than more concessions) had been exploited.

"US Airways' plan, which calls for it to model itself after discounters such as America West Holdings, JetBlue Airways and AirTran Holdings, "is a thoughtful effort to devise a viablebusiness plan, considering the company's assets and financial condition," the report said."

But he stopped short of saying it would work, merely saying that it was the better of unpleasant possibilities.

"This report has validated the "Transformation Plan", which would make US Airways the first legacy carrier to truly adapt to the new economic reality."

Validated is a somewhat strong term, implying his endorsement. As above, he never said it would work. Besides, many experts "validated" the last Transformation Plan" (the POR) and we all know how well that worked, don't we. As an aside, repeating "the first legacy carrier to truly adapt to the new economic reality" often does not make it so. While our management has been either resting on their laurels from the 1st BK or seeking concessions before implementing the new Transformation Plan, other legacy carriers have been going about the business of actually adapting to the new economic reality.

"Bruce Lakefield is open to discussion/suggestions."

Here we agree, as long as the point you made a little later is included - "come to the savings level US Airways needs". In other words, Lakefield could care less how we get to the dollar goal, just that we get there. And that will be the stumbling block for some groups.

Not to be the naysayer, but this report is by ALPA's advisors and from the perspective of the pilots' union. I too agree with what has been publicly released and expect that the confidential parts are just as valid. However, there is a point where most other people will say that it is no longer worth it to work for US and there are more benefits to be had by riding it out to the end or by burning the company to the ground (intangible emotional benefits for sure). Only when US can provide an incentive for ALL employee groups to participate and benefit (not just endure) its restructuring is there any hope of pulling US out of its nosedive.

BeingBoy:

Fuel is a wild card, however, yesterday was a "watershed" event and this airline may go into bankruptcy, but this airline is worth saving and for the first time in the past 15 years, there is a "thoughtful" plan to compete, especially in today's environment.

In many repsects because of its size and key East Coast markets, US Airways is in a better position to survive and turn itself around than some other legacy carriers.

By the way, ALPA has specifically asked that the report not be made public and as little information that is released is best for the process.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

BoeingBoy said:
As an aside, repeating "the first legacy carrier to truly adapt to the new economic reality" often does not make it so.
[post="168115"][/post]​
Especially since that title belongs to AS, regardless of what happens to US.

BTW, thoughtful analysis on your part. Good job reading between the lines.

USA320Pilot said:
...for the first time in the past 15 years, there is a "thoughtful" plan to compete, especially in today's environment.
[post="168123"][/post]​
I can assure you that thinking does not appear on a P&L statement. And someone who admittedly doesn't know the industry calling the plan "thoughtful" smacks in some regard as damning with faint praise.

I agree with USA320Pilot on this one. U is on the edge of really turning things around. If we can just make it through the end of this bad business cycle we will thrive. US Airways is trying to accomplish the most complex turnaround in the history of airlines. It hasn't been smooth or painless, but we are getting closer to the end. I think the unions should be looking to lock in some nice profit sharing deals. You won't lose the profit sharing if we avoid another round in bankrupcy. And once Iraq starts pumping oil the good times will roll again.

All the genuises spouting off about paying everyone HP-type wages are forgetting one big thing. HP is based in PHX, which is also where most of the people live. The cost of living on the east coast, where most of the U folks live, is much higher then PHX. So, while we can do OK on HP wages they are likely to cause many U folks to lose houses, file Chapter 7's etc.

What's the point of having a job where the clear destination is bankruptcy and/or losing homes? On top of all that, what about the stress this financial stuff will put on marriages and relationships?

Back