Terminated F/A's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can not understand this at all. This whole thing just blows my mind. We never had this issue with SFO-SAN or LAX. It would be unheard of. Cheryl Lindvay would choked you with her scarf personally. BWI was drivable so somewhat mitigated by distance. Still, our a/c have turned into a race to SW. They will have a stroke to make the 13:40 flight!
The other day in customs we had a medical. I kid you not 4 ran off and the other 2 got nasty with the paramedics on why they were worried about someone with "air sickness". The girl all of 10 and a minor also was out of it and soiled herself. They will walk over you to the SW gate if you were bleeding out your eyes.

Well brains tells you something was not right and the kid needed to be looked at. But the PIT people (not to single anyone out) threw a hissy and got downright RUDE with the medics on why they had been called. I was so embarrassed. I had a dinner date and you know what it waited.

I don't know. This was the first I'd heard about it.

And she just said, I just call the supervisor and let them handle it. But she reiterated that she has been told by supervision that if the f/a's don't have that card, to put them at the bottom of the stand by list.

Has any one else heard about this?

:unsure:

If you do not have the card you go to the bottom of the list for the jumpseat. It did not have anything to do with a non-rev cabin seat. At least that is the way it use to be when they issued the cards way back when.

The reason was to solve the problem of date-of-hire and non-rev dates. People like me have a non-rev date of say 10-98 and a Mainline Hire date of 5-2000. For the jumpseat I must use 5-2000 mainline date of hire - not 10-98 PSA Express date of hire.

And she just said, I just call the supervisor and let them handle it. But she reiterated that she has been told by supervision that if the f/a's don't have that card, to put them at the bottom of the stand by list.

Has any one else heard about this?

:unsure:
I'm pretty sure we need the card. It has our flight attendant seniority date on it as opposed to our company hire date. For some people, that's two different dates completely.

The commuting issue is as old as each merger and base closure. US has arguably had more of these than any other airline and hence more casualties unwilling to move.

The simple answer is a question: "what other company, when closing a location would tolerate an employee that says, "um, I want my job but I'm not moving. So I'll be a tad bit unreliable in the event of snow, rain, (in PHL a TOO CLEAR day) or a holiday that's just got too many people on my traffic route."

Answer: None other than an airline. So, yes, it does exist at other airlines but I would argue that not in as high of numbers as at US. To which many would hasten to reply "But they closed my BASE!" Yup. And you didn't quit. Add to that a credibility gap. They have a point, why move if US closes bases so often? Who is to say PHL won't close in five years? Unthinkable? Sure, but so was PIT. Unfortunately, transfers and moves exist in every industry, and they don't get to commute, so that argument just doesn't fly in the real world. Ask an engineer or an accountant if they're guaranteed a job for life in the same city.

It really doesn't matter what any of us think is right/ wrong or unjust. The reality is, US is going to do its best to terminate people that use sick time to cover a bad commute. If they're blocked from doing so by the union, is that really fair to the membership that plays by the rules? And fundamentally, what does that say to those that have to cover or do the work of those who don't?

As I was the one who alluded to an entitlement issue, here's my answer: there are a lot of FAs that look at their commute for their trip on Friday and realize that they have to leave Thursday morning and spend a wasted day in PHL. They do it. So why does a PIT FA think that they shouldn't have to leave the night before and waste a day in PHL?

Answer: Entitlement.

The commuting issue is as old as each merger and base closure.
As I was the one who alluded to an entitlement issue, here's my answer: there are a lot of FAs that look at their commute for their trip on Friday and realize that they have to leave Thursday morning and spend a wasted day in PHL. They do it. So why does a PIT FA think that they shouldn't have to leave the night before and waste a day in PHL?

Excellent post, galley princess. My husband has commuted for the past decade and I cannot think of a single instance where he has called in sick to cover his own poor planning. We made a choice to live outside his base. Along with the privilege of living in a city we love comes the responsibility of making the commute work.

Are you saying that everyone else that commutes from everywhere else in the system goes in the day before and only PIT F/As try to commute the same day?

Well it certainly does appear that PIT has the most commuters on any given flight. It also appears that when a flight cancels and the f/a can't make it due to "poor planning" and not having a backup flight that gets into PHL before their checkin (as required) trips open like wild fire. I don't see that happening with commuters from MCO, SYR, BUF or SFO. ;)

What is there to squabble about amongst your ranks? Just sling cokes and shut up. You people really don't make the airline fly-you do realize that, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back