Shooting at UCLA

You know Eric you and I have had our differences, but your last two posts were very good and no rhetoric and it was nice to read something without all the BS and memes.

I have been a gun owner all my life, we had a trap in our basement and a full rifle range in my junior high,

But something has to be done, as what is or isn't being done isn't working.

I guess I'll have to research what Australia did in 1996 and hasn't had a mass attack since.

700UW said:
You know Eric you and I have had our differences, but your last two posts were very good and no rhetoric and it was nice to read something without all the BS and memes.

I have been a gun owner all my life, we had a trap in our basement and a full rifle range in my junior high,

I guess I'll have to research what Australia did in 1996 and hasn't had a mass attack since.

Gun buyback program.....touchy feely........mandatory

Buyback ends, you hold illegal firearms...................ask about Australias huge firearms black market now.

The Australian Law Banned and Confiscated Guns
The crucial fact they omit is that the buyback program was mandatory. Australia’s vaunted gun buyback program was in fact a sweeping program of gun confiscation. Only the articles from USA Today and the Washington Post cited above contain the crucial information that the buyback was compulsory. The article by Smith-Spark, the latest entry in the genre, assuredly does not. It’s the most important detail about the main provision of Australia’s gun laws, and pundits ignore it. That’s like writing an article about how Obamacare works without once mentioning the individual mandate.

Yet when American gun control advocates and politicians praise Australia’s gun laws, that’s just what they’re doing. Charles Cooke of the National Review shredded the rhetorical conceit of bellowing “Australia!” last year after President Obama expressed his admiration for gun control à la Oz:

You simply cannot praise Australia’s gun-laws without praising the country’s mass confiscation program. That is Australia’s law. When the Left says that we should respond to shootings as Australia did, they don’t mean that we should institute background checks on private sales; they mean that they we should ban and confiscate guns. No amount of wooly words can change this. Again, one doesn’t bring up countries that have confiscated firearms as a shining example unless one wishes to push the conversation toward confiscation.

Democrat Leaders Support Gun Confiscation
Not all gun control proponents prevaricate. Some are forthright about their intentions. After Sandy Hook, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-California) stated she was considering legislation to institute a mandatory national buyback program. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo also expressed an interest in confiscation, at least for assault weapons. “Confiscation could be an option. Mandatory sale to the state could be an option. Permitting could be an option — keep your gun but permit it.” Ultimately, New York did not institute confiscation, but did require registration of existing assault weapons and banned all sales of new and existing ones within the state.

Voluntary buyback initiatives are a waste of time and money. So those hostile to gun rights continue to demand mandatory confiscation.
Gun buybacks remain a popular policy with the Left because it is the only way of achieving what the Left regards as the only acceptable gun-control solution: reducing the number of guns in America. Matt Miller of the Center for American Progress proposed such a program after Sandy Hook. Conceding that anything mandatory was unlikely to pass Congress, he pitched a gun buyback program as a form of economic stimulus: give people cash for guns, which they can then spend on other things. “Make gun owners an offer they can’t refuse. Instead of a measly $200 a gun, Uncle Sam might offer $500.” Why a gun owner would accept $500 for a gun that likely cost considerably more is a question Miller unsurprisingly does not ask, let alone answer. Posing it would puncture his balloon.

Voluntary buyback initiatives are a waste of time and money. So those hostile to gun rights continue to demand mandatory confiscation. Earlier this year, the advisory commission appointed by Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy after Sandy Hook recommended banning the sale and possession of “any rifle or handgun that accepts a detachable magazine.” Commission members shrugged off suggestions that this would entail an unconstitutional prohibition on most firearms Americans own, saying it was not their job to take such niceties into account. The editorial board of the Newark Star-Ledger displayed similar “magical thinking” last September when it called for mandatory confiscation in New Jersey. Predictably, the board cited the Australian example, pointing to the drop in gun violence there as all the necessary justification for inaugurating such a program here. The editorial board concluded by bemoaning America’s “hysteria over ‘gun confiscation,’” which would keep their fantasy just that.
http://thefederalist.com/2015/06/25/the-australia-gun-control-fallacy/

700UW said:

Very wrong 700...this is the end around to gun confiscation that everyone should realize, no guns, the criminal mind becomes a very ingenious tool.

Still having mass attacks but now with new methods.

Wiki:

Port Arthur massacre

28 April 1996 Port Arthur, Tasmania 35 24 A spree shooting by Martin Bryant

Snowtown murders

August 1992 – May 1999 Snowtown, South Australia 12 - unknown attack by John Bunting, Robert Wagner, and James Vlassakis, a total of 12 bodies were found in acid filled barrels and rainwater tanks

Childers Palace Backpackers fire

23 June 2000 Childers, Queensland 15- unknown Arson attack by Robert Paul Long, which killed 15 international backpackers Monash University Shooting

21 October 2002 Melbourne, Victoria 2- 5 A shooting spree by Huan Yun Xiang, a student at
Monash University

Churchill Fire

7 February 2009 Churchill, Victoria 10- unknown Arson attack by Brendan Sokaluk that killed 10 people, during the Black Saturday bushfires period Lin family murders

18 July 2009 North Epping, New South Wales 5- unknown Blunt instrument attack which killed 5 members of the Lin family

2011 Hectorville siege

29 April 2011 Hectorville, South Australia 3-3 A shooting that took place on 29 April 2011, in Hectorville, South Australia. It began after a 39-year-old male, Donato Anthony Corbo, shot four people on a neighbouring property (three of whom died), and also wounded two police officers, before being arrested by Special Operations police after an eight-hour siege.

[9]Quakers Hill Nursing Home Fire

18 November 2011 Sydney, NSW 11   Arson attack by Roger Kingsley Dean, a nurse, which killed 11 people Hunt family murders

9 September 2014 Lockhart, New South Wales 5- 0 Murder-suicide shooting spree by Geoff Hunt who killed his wife and three children before turning the gun on himself Logan shooting

22 October 2014 Logan, Victoria 3-0 A shooting murder of a neighbour family (Greg Holmes, 48, his mother Mary Lockhart, 75, and her husband Peter Lockhart, 78) by Ian Francis Jamieson, 63.[10]

Cairns child killings

19 December 2014 Cairns, Queensland 8 -1 (self-inflicted by perpetrator) Stabbing attack. 8 children aged 18 months to 15 years killed. Thirty-seven-year-old woman also found injured. The woman, Raina Mersane Ina Thaiday, was later charged with the murder of the children, 7 of whom were hers, plus her niece.[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Australia

Tragically, seems eliminating firearms doesn't really work either which shows the firearm isn't the problem.

700UW said:
As indicated by your insane liberal hysteria whenever there's a shooting, I doubt very seriously you have ever been a gun owner or even held one.

You can think what you want.

My father was a jeweler in NYC, I have been around guns since early childhood.  My Mother was law enforcement right outside of NYC on Nassau County,Long Island and one was on of the first non-police officer female to get a carry permit.

My Dad was one on the last people to legally purchase an Uzi.

And when I was in the Middle East, I shot a fully automatic Uzi.

A person can be a gun owner and be concerned and want something done about the mass shootings that have been occurring in the US.

Kev3188 said:
The intellectually weak only know how to traffic in polarization. Sentences like that cause them to seize up...

Notice the trend down under to other means of mass killing w/o firearms.

Same thing will happen anywhere else.

I do not want a liberal feel good fix that never would have worked in the first place.

I tell you, we need a way of identifying mental instability and preventing those from accessing firearms, but what else will they access?

too bad the President's own hometown, home to the toughest gunlaws in the country is a glaring example of strict gun laws not providing an answer

delldude said:

I do not want a liberal feel good fix that never would have worked in the first place.

I tell you, we need a way of identifying mental instability and preventing those from accessing firearms, but what else will they access?
exactly McVeigh brought down an entire building with common fertilizer available to anyone anytime

cltrat said:
too bad the President's own hometown, home to the toughest gunlaws in the country is a glaring example of strict gun laws not providing an answer

I think if I was Obama and I wanted a legacy to be remembered by, changing the metric in Chicago would be one of his best choices.

delldude said:

Agree, but I'm not sure how you stay on the right side of the 4th...

Kev3188 said:
Agree, but I'm not sure how you stay on the right side of the 4th...

Look at what Obama has done to Vets with PTSD and other issues.
Ground work is being laid.
I seriously think the gov't having access to your medical records isn't an accident.

Eat an elephant one bite at a time

Back