No new China, what next?

Why not PHL-LHR
?????????????????????????????????????????????

If we already offer international flights out of JFK, BOS, and DCA in that vicinity, why ever would we start International service from PHL? We don't even have that much domestic service to PHL.

Besides given all of PHL's problems, why add to their grief?

?????????????????????????????????????????????

If we already offer international flights out of JFK, BOS, and DCA in that vicinity, why ever would we start International service from PHL? We don't even have that much domestic service to PHL.

Besides given all of PHL's problems, why add to their grief?
I forgot AA codeshares with BA, BA has 2 flights. PHL has 20 flights a day, AA just upgraded DFW service to about 4 737 and 1 757. and 3 M80's. Used to be all M80's. ORD was 1/2 M80 and 1/2 RJ now all M80's.

Yet, bid leaves are being offered again next month.
Jim, has there ever been a month where not a single PVD, bid leave or mini-leave was offered? Even in the months preceding the previous recalls?

It doesn't surprise me that a few (no number was given) leaves are being offered in Feb. It would be hard to find a quieter month in the year. I can't predict just when the critical point will be reached, but something tells me AA can't go another year and a half without something breaking. At least, not unless they have some unannounced surprise up their sleeve.

MK

We were told in ORD that system wide 119 flights were canceled because of crew shortages in Dec. and Jan. Even though we had an OVERAGE of 325-350 both months.(I can't remember which number went for each month). Also, the bid leaves were only for the begining of Dec. and the end of Jan. In fact the Jan. bid leaves don't start till tomorrow the 15th. I can boardmail ILS...the letter if he doesn't beleive me and wants written proof.

Why not PHL-LHR

We already tried that back in 1994-1995. Very low yields. We didn't attract the premium traffic in the market, and the Premium cabins went empty. Coach was full in high season, but the fares were too low.

The crewing costs were very high also as they had to schedule it as a "double crossing," though, if the yields had been high enough, the extra costs would have been easily absorbed.

We were told in ORD that system wide 119 flights were canceled because of crew shortages in Dec. and Jan. Even though we had an OVERAGE of 325-350 both months.(I can't remember which number went for each month). Also, the bid leaves were only for the begining of Dec. and the end of Jan. In fact the Jan. bid leaves don't start till tomorrow the 15th. I can boardmail ILS...the letter if he doesn't beleive me and wants written proof.
Sounds like a morale problem to me...... :ph34r:

Sounds like a morale problem to me...... :ph34r:

Copaired with a moral problem, in that some people with lack of morals call in sick to have holiday's off and shift the brunt of work to their peers. Also it is winter and cold and flu season is upon us.

Given low morale, lack of morals, and true sickness you get a doubling of the sick lists every Christmas/New Years.

Copaired with a moral problem, in that some people with lack of morals call in sick to have holiday's off and shift the brunt of work to their peers. Also it is winter and cold and flu season is upon us.

Given low morale, lack of morals, and true sickness you get a doubling of the sick lists every Christmas/New Years.

===========================================================

AirLUVer,

Your absolutely correct, (YAWN) It's the cost of doing business, at AA. !!

Speaking of the "problems" that you first mentioned, I've got a few $$ bucks to wager, that when the "MORAL" improves, so will the "MORALS" !

What do you think ?

NH/BB's

===========================================================

AirLUVer,

Your absolutely correct, (YAWN) It's the cost of doing business, at AA. !!

Speaking of the "problems" that you first mentioned, I've got a few $$ bucks to wager, that when the "MORAL" improves, so will the "MORALS" !

What do you think ?

NH/BB's

Well, I don't think the employee/management relations will ever improve significantly at AA. At least not to be on par with Southwest or Continental.

We already tried that back in 1994-1995. Very low yields. We didn't attract the premium traffic in the market, and the Premium cabins went empty. Coach was full in high season, but the fares were too low.

The crewing costs were very high also as they had to schedule it as a "double crossing," though, if the yields had been high enough, the extra costs would have been easily absorbed.
OK, I understand that better now. I also heard that AA does not have the rights any more to PHL-LHR. They shifted it up to EWR fro what I was told.

Bermuda II allows BA, Virgin United and AA to fly from Baltimore, Boston, Chicago O'Hare, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, Miami, New York-JFK, Newark, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington-Dulles. They are allowed to mix as needed. AA has moved a number of frequencies around.

Bermuda II allows BA, Virgin United and AA to fly from Baltimore, Boston, Chicago O'Hare, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, Miami, New York-JFK, Newark, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington-Dulles. They are allowed to mix as needed. AA has moved a number of frequencies around.
Your quote typifies what is the mind-set of most of the employees at AA, that is if we don't think about the 800 pound gorilla ( Asia/China ) it will just go away. Let's just keep things simple, we've done great without Asia, so far, wright, wrong.

Yet, those in DFW have not forgotten about this profit making region. They've read the economic reports about China, they know about the population explosion there, and the thirst W(a )merica)lmart has. Meaning thousands of business class and F/C travelers to this area daily.

So we ( AMR ) will sit on the side lines, and watch the outcome of the airline merger playoff '07, and meet the winners in the Superbowl of mergers '08.

We don't have 747s, but we will when we buy up NWA.

Your quote typifies what is the mind-set of most of the employees at AA, that is if we don't think about the 800 pound gorilla ( Asia/China ) it will just go away. Let's just keep things simple, we've done great without Asia, so far, wright, wrong.

Yet, those in DFW have not forgotten about this profit making region. They've read the economic reports about China, they know about the population explosion there, and the thirst W(a )merica)lmart has. Meaning thousands of business class and F/C travelers to this area daily.

So we ( AMR ) will sit on the side lines, and watch the outcome of the airline merger playoff '07, and meet the winners in the Superbowl of mergers '08.

What on earth does my previous quote about moving flights from PHL and EWR to JFK quote have to do with China?

I also seriously doubt AA will buy NWA out right, even for access China. Many possible scenarios exist DAL looking to fend off U, could strike up a deal with AA. Americans cash for Pacific operation Dal merge with the remaining parts of NWA. no more U hostile take over. With UAL and CAL talking would leave DP and U alone in the cold.

Why would anyone fly AA to China when you could fly Cathay or JAL and still get AA miles and status?

Both airlines are far superior products, well worth any additional time.

Sadly, it is not that simple. Not all airlines can fly all routes (UA cannot fly MIA-LHR, for example, and AA cannot fly SFO-LHR). Also, a US airline cannot fly BWI-LHR, DEN-LHR or PHX-LHR, only a British airline can, and only if a US airline is not flying the route. So, for example, if United starts DEN-LGW, then BA has to switch to DEN-LGW, they will have no choice. Baltimore, Denver, or Phoenix are not Bermuda II cities. They are allowed Heathrow flights under a special exemption.

Bermuda II is extremely complicated.

Back