New CS Policy?

BonTemps

Aug 31, 2005
Well..hearing about the new CS policy that goes into effect, no more than 24 hours can be worked in 2 consecutive days with CSW. ...here come the sick calls...

It's not the first time that's been proposed... But it is the first time I've seen it mentioned outside HDQ...

If the percentages on CSW vs CSO haven't changed much in the past five years, and the 50% cap is still being enforced, then the number of people who'd be affected by this is probably ~ 100 or so systemwide.....

The STL commuters at LGA are more than a little bent out of shape about this.The majority of them do a week of doubles,CS off for a week and fly home.

I dont think it will go over well especially in MIA and Chicago where back to back doubles are condoned... Just another way to twist your nuts. How far can they push before you push back?

It's not the first time that's been proposed... But it is the first time I've seen it mentioned outside HDQ...

If the percentages on CSW vs CSO haven't changed much in the past five years, and the 50% cap is still being enforced, then the number of people who'd be affected by this is probably ~ 100 or so systemwide.....
And just where did you get this information? Unless you have a large cash reserve, or have three incomes at you household. A single person who is seven years away from topping out has to work,
all the hours he or she can. Or be forced to look for a second job with very flexible schedule, and finding such employer is virtually impossible. When we bid 5 times a year, you never know what to expect from bid to bid. Personally, if hindsight is 20/20. I would have told AA to stick-it 3 years ago. I’ve never worked harder at a job that takes such a large physical toll on me for the promise of a retirement and flight benefits that might not be in existence if I retire in 8 years. You claim 100 or so people might be effected by this new CS rule, I’m still wondering on just where you got this info. Did you audit each station and inspect every stations exception log?? Please enlighten us. And just for the record, I do like nights and don’t give a hoot about weekends off.

I dont think it will go over well especially in MIA and Chicago where back to back doubles are condoned... Just another way to twist your nuts. How far can they push before you push back?
Thats why we need CS language in the contract like Continental and United, true or not current policy is dictated unilaterally. We proposed it, the company would not even consider it. They said "We like it the way it is".

You claim 100 or so people might be effected by this new CS rule, I’m still wondering on just where you got this info. Did you audit each station and inspect every stations exception log?? Please enlighten us.

I went thru the payroll data, and presented the findings to Arpey a little over five years ago, and the data was all after the STL hub was neutered. Is that good enough to enlighten you?...

We already knew that sick calls increased for the people working one week on and one week off, but that was written off as not being able to cover their CS's as opposed to actual injuries...

Had I been able to compare the IOD data, it might have made for a different conclusion. I personally think allowing back to back doubles is counterproductive, if not a liability...

My gut feeling is that the guys pushing themselves for a week of doubles are a lot less aware and productive during hours 12 to hour 16, and they probably also run a higher risk of injury/damage due to fatigue.

Some unionists claim that they fought hard for the five day work-week, and work day limits on the grounds of employee safety.

Pilots still manage to insist on having a lie-flat rest facility when working an 8:01 long flight, and both flight attendants & pilots have requirements for a certain number of hours "behind doors" time when they exceed certain duty-day and duty-time thresholds.

If the above two statements are true, can you explain to me how it is suddenly safe for someone to be working five 16 hour days in a row, and not getting more than about 6 hours of actual sleep each night.

Is it only unsafe if the company schedules you to work a quick turn or back to back?

Please, enlighten me. ;)

Just typing it makes me think I'm writing a sequel to "The Jungle"....

The STL commuters at LGA are more than a little bent out of shape about this.The majority of them do a week of doubles,CS off for a week and fly home.

I am not trying to be sarcastic..But maybe it is time to move closer to one's domicile...I know people have homes and lives nd family obligations, but to endure the continual stress of commuting and worrying about making your assigned trip seems to be never ending.

I am not trying to be sarcastic..But maybe it is time to move closer to one's domicile...I know people have homes and lives nd family obligations, but to endure the continual stress of commuting and worrying about making your assigned trip seems to be never ending.
well tell that to the pilots and f/a there whole commute policy is a joke

Thats why we need CS language in the contract like Continental and United, true or not current policy is dictated unilaterally. We proposed it, the company would not even consider it. They said "We like it the way it is".
you proposed it, and the company said no!!!!!!!!!!! Ok AA, great negotiations. Its really time for binding arbitration.

well tell that to the pilots and f/a there whole commute policy is a joke

How is it that you come to this conclusion?

Can someone also give me the Cliff Notes version of what CSO and CSW stand for and a summary of the issue? Thx

Had I been able to compare the IOD data, it might have made for a different conclusion. I personally think allowing back to back doubles is counterproductive, if not a liability...

My gut feeling is that the guys pushing themselves for a week of doubles are a lot less aware and productive during hours 12 to hour 16, and they probably also run a higher risk of injury/damage due to fatigue.

Some unionists claim that they fought hard for the five day work-week, and work day limits on the grounds of employee safety.

Is it only unsafe if the company schedules you to work a quick turn or back to back?

Please, enlighten me. ;)

Just typing it makes me think I'm writing a sequel to "The Jungle"....

Its only OK to work that long when it benefits the company. Field trips for out of service aircrafy are a perfect example. Its OK to be on the clock for 40 hours when it benefits the company and getting that broke airplane back in service. But when you need to do a back to back double to benefit yourself the company says NO. How about all AMTs go on that field trip for 4 hours then turn around and go home due to time restrictions imposed by the company. I think its time to push back using the companies rules. ARE YOU WITH ME ! ! ! !

As for the 50% cap, I have heard rumors of 80% of your hours will have to be worked. For most, not a problem. For the 50% boys/girls, this could put a cramp in their "outside" interests.

As for the 50% cap, I have heard rumors of 80% of your hours will have to be worked. For most, not a problem. For the 50% boys/girls, this could put a cramp in their "outside" interests.
work 50% and get 100% benefits nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 80% work, come on thats getting tough (although thats 80% just showing up to the job site)

How is it that you come to this conclusion?

Can someone also give me the Cliff Notes version of what CSO and CSW stand for and a summary of the issue? Thx

CSW = change shift work, means you are working someone's shift. CSO = change shift off, you are off - covered by a CSW. Sort of like a trip trade. There are variations to CSing as well, early and late starts etc.. In a nutshell, that's it.

Back