DL to start ORD-LHR

• Banned
and that research undoubtedly includes noting that DL and VS have tried to get certain accounts and they don't have them yet and thus the route won't work without them..

For those who remember, DL loaded LAX-DEN, an equally crowded market and pulled the flights months before the service started.

DL will continue to look for opportunities to grow in key industry markets.  The fact that DL has succeeded in growing its network into other carriers' key markets more than other carriers have done into DL's key markets is part of providing the most robust network possible.

WorldTraveler said:
DL will continue to look for opportunities to grow in key industry markets.  The fact that DL has succeeded in growing its network into other carriers' key markets more than other carriers have done into DL's key markets is part of providing the most robust network possible.
I know this will incite a response or two, but I would imagine that one of the reasons other carriers have not bothered to enter into many DL markets is because many of the DL markets suck.  CVG & SLC do not have the population (just over 2 and 1 million, respectively).  DTW, while a great facility suffers from the economic depression in MI.  NRT is restricted.  That only leaves ATL and MSP to some degree as a market anybody would love to expand in.

WorldTraveler said:
and that research undoubtedly includes noting that DL and VS have tried to get certain accounts and they don't have them yet and thus the route won't work without them..
Is that a common thing for airlines to do?
Looks like DL being a sore looser, taking their airplanes home if some corporations don't want to play with them.

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:
I know this will incite a response or two, but I would imagine that one of the reasons other carriers have not bothered to enter into many DL markets is because many of the DL markets suck.  CVG & SLC do not have the population (just over 2 and 1 million, respectively).  DTW, while a great facility suffers from the economic depression in MI.  NRT is restricted.  That only leaves ATL and MSP to some degree as a market anybody would love to expand in.
LMAO!!!

you must be from CLT

yoyodyne said:
LMAO!!!

you must be from CLT

No, I'm not from CLT. 
I was actually trying to be serious.  One can also lump CLT into markets such as CVG and SLC and perhaps MSP - markets where there just aren't that many carriers hoping to break into.  Again, not meant to be derogatory, but CLT is not NYC, or ORD.  The population isn't there and neither are the corporations.  I'm sure 700UW will reply with his standard-issue statement lauding CLT, the airport and NC ... ... ...

That would be 10 if you count Mooresville, and just over the border in SC.

Chiquita moved their headquarters here also.

and 270 Fortune 500 companies have a presence in CLT.

Your information is from 2011.

• Banned
the size of the actual travel market is what matters, not the number of corporations and population.

In fact, DL's revenue in the DTW market, based on DOT data, is larger than EVERY OTHER AA hub except DFW and LGA/JFK if the two are considered one airport. UA handedly beats AA/US even when AA/US is considered a single airline in the local ORD market.

It won't make the CLT fans happy to hear that DL's SLC hub carries the same amount of LOCAL revenue than US does from CLT. US may have hundreds of flights more than US has but when it comes to local revenue, DL's SLC hub gets the revenue that makes a hub work.

• Banned
Is that a common thing for airlines to do?
Looks like DL being a sore looser, taking their airplanes home if some corporations don't want to play with them.
no, DL goes after revenue opportunities and develops them where they can and does it such that business travelers are willing to give more of their money for DL to provide its services than any other airline gets.

700UW said:
That would be 10 if you count Mooresville, and just over the border in SC.
Mooresville is part of the greater Charlotte area, just north of Charlotte. If you live in CLT you should know that, I mean heck even I know that having only visited a few times. Your post isn't well written but you are suggesting it is near South Carolina.

700UW said:
Chiquita moved their headquarters here also.

and 270 Fortune 500 companies have a presence in CLT.
So what, you could say the same of about any metropolitan area.

700UW said:
Your information is from 2011.
Pretty sure you have quoted that very same source before.

Josh

700UW said:
You can tout all you want, CLT makes money, and thats the bottom line.
There will be changes at CLT with the merger, international flying has been moved to MIA.

Josh

WorldTraveler said:
It won't make the CLT fans happy to hear that DL's SLC hub carries more LOCAL revenue than US does from CLT. US may have hundreds of flights more than US has but when it comes to local revenue, DL's SLC hub gets the revenue that makes a hub work.
That's an interesting fact. I imagine Park City area contributes a good amount of that. The area draws people globally for the amazing ski areas and Sundance. CLT? Meh there is a nice Ritz-Carlton with cheap rates and few good restaurants but otherwise no thanks.

Josh

Latest posts

Back