Delta, US Airways Close Deal to Transfer Flying Rights in New York and Washington, D.C.

I would love to know whose bright idea it was for the layout of DCA, with each concourse having its own sterile area.
At the time it was designed, no airline operated from more than one pier. Given the slot restrictions, I guess the designers figured no airline would ever have half of those slots or need more space than one pier could provide. Remember that during construction US converted the hanger into a temporary terminal with something like 6-7 gates plus a small Express operation at the north end of the ramp...

Jim

I know the ramp space is small but I wonder if there is any way for a connector to be built between the two concourses.

It appears to be all Express. All those RJ's flying in/out of LGA have to go somewhere...

Jim

Does anyone know what additional gates US will be taking? This morning's press release indicated there would be new gates and a new US Airways Club. With Delta shrinking, could UA now fit on the concourse wth CO, and US take UA's current gates at DCA? Just wondering.

Did US get any DCA mainline slots in the slot swap? My understanding was all of the slots were commuter/express slots.
The slots can be used for any type of operation. US so far has chosen to only use them for commuter/express operations... but that could change in the future and the 2nd round of additions could also include mainline flights.

I didn't expect anything but additional Express flying in this deal. This company rarely adds any new Mainline flying, as the Mainline fleet numbers have remained stagnant for years now. You can't grow or expand with the same number of A/C without cutting from somewhere else.
Whenever I see a post about "New" flying, I pretty much can count on it being done by Express before reading it. If there was an Express A/C capable of making the trip across the pond, they would be using it....
Express is a bad word to me for many reasons...Lots of jobs and stations have been lost ever since the day Express A/C went from 30 pax props to 70 seat Mini 737's. In my opinion, Delta opened the flood gates on this one with their rapid expansion of Comair years ago.

Yeah! That's the ticket! The back bench junior senator from IL pretending to be leader of the free world will save you. Look how well he's done so far.

Gas Price 1/21/2009 = $1.83/Gal
Gas Price Today = $3.18/Gal (Down from $3.99/Gal)

Unemployment rate 1/21/2009 = 7.8%
Current Unemployment rate = 8.6% (Down from just under 10%)

Credit Rating 1/21/2009 = The highest possible
Credit Rating now? = Downgraded

So how is the "Hope & Change" thing workin' for ya? Food prices up 20% due to commodity inflation caused by his massive run up of the debt.

Well I have to go cling to my guns and religion now.
Good one!

The slots can be used for any type of operation. US so far has chosen to only use them for commuter/express operations... but that could change in the future and the 2nd round of additions could also include mainline flights.

I thought DCA had two classifications. Slots for aircraft <= ~70 seats (which used to be <= ~50 seats) and slots for aircraft > ~70 seats. I remember Dave Siegel lobbying back in the day to have the number changed from 50 to 70 (or thereabouts) and made a big deal about it at the time.

Back