Delta, US Airways Close Deal to Transfer Flying Rights in New York and Washington, D.C.

Winners and losers in the slot swap:

http://crankyflier.com/2011/12/19/winners-and-losers-in-deltas-big-expansion-at-new-yorks-la-guardia-airport/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CrankyFlier+%28The+Cranky+Flier%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

What Delta is really trying to do here is offer frequent nonstop service in top business markets. That’s good for travelers but not for other airlines. The biggest likely loser? American.

The US/AA merger will fix it ..... ;)

Is it me or did Bone-Brain Parker shoot himself in the foot with this whole slot-swap thingy??? I was shocked to hear about this deal involving Delta, whom Parker tried to take over. Did Delta lead him to believe that there would be a merger? That might explain why he helped Delta get what it wanted.

To me it looks like Delta wins and guess who LUSes :lol:

Just paving the way for the AA deal. They would have to shed some LGA stuff anyway, and by doing it in advance they get the DCA slots in return...

Just paving the way for the AA deal. They would have to shed some LGA stuff anyway, and by doing it in advance they get the DCA slots in return...
just one more reminder that AA already holds about 15% of the slots at DCA... the DOJ threatened to block the DCA part of the slot swap because it resulted in US holding more than 50% of DCA's slots... the chances of US being able to engage in any transaction that adds more slots at DCA is somewhere between slim and none. If AA is of value to US using US' now existing slot portfolio at DCA, then I suppose the deal could move forward....
let's remember that WN was shut out of the slot deals at LGA and DCA and isn't going to sit by quietly should anymore opportunities to acquire slots arise.

just one more reminder that AA already holds about 15% of the slots at DCA... the DOJ threatened to block the DCA part of the slot swap because it resulted in US holding more than 50% of DCA's slots... the chances of US being able to engage in any transaction that adds more slots at DCA is somewhere between slim and none. If AA is of value to US using US' now existing slot portfolio at DCA, then I suppose the deal could move forward....
let's remember that WN was shut out of the slot deals at LGA and DCA and isn't going to sit by quietly should anymore opportunities to acquire slots arise.

WN was not "shut out" the deal, they just chose not to bid enough money to win the slots at auction.

WN was not "shut out" the deal, they just chose not to bid enough money to win the slots at auction.
whether they chose not to bid higher or were outfoxed by other bidders doesn't really matter... and I do think that WN very thoughtfully decided on an upper limit price for the slots.
But it doesn't change that WN has about 20 slots each at EWR and LGA with which it must serve the largest market in the US - and then a few more ISP flights if you want to include them. As for DC, their presence will be equally as small proportionately.
But it does mean that WN's expansion into the NE will not be near as aggressive as some might have predicted and it also means that whatever plans network carriers and B6 have for the NE do not terribly need to be altered because of WN.

Delta received 132 slots or 66 slots pairs from US Airways at LGA. Delta's new LGA schedule when fully implemented in Phase II will add 15 round trip mainline and 51 round trip RJ LGA flights. Delta will not operate any turboprop flights. The 15 additional mainline round trip flights will be operated between LGA & MIA, ATL, MSY, DTW, and MSP.

US Airways is expected to announce its expanded DCA operation on January 3 or 4.

Delta received 132 slots or 66 slots pairs from US Airways at LGA. Delta's new LGA schedule when fully implemented in Phase II will add 15 round trip mainline and 51 round trip RJ LGA flights. Delta will not operate any turboprop flights. The 15 additional mainline round trip flights will be operated between LGA & MIA, ATL, MSY, DTW, and MSP.

No, Delta received 132 slot pairs from US at LGA.

In exchange, US received 42 slot pairs at DCA from DL, plus cash and GRU access.

(Sorry if this had already been posted)

Not part of the slot swap per se, but I just found out that US will start CLT-OMA service (Express, not mainline, of course. Also about the OMA-DCA flight that will start. IIRC, OMA was one the cities that HP started on its first day of service. Glad that it will connected to the East.

Is it me or did Bone-Brain Parker shoot himself in the foot with this whole slot-swap thingy??? I was shocked to hear about this deal involving Delta, whom Parker tried to take over. Did Delta lead him to believe that there would be a merger? That might explain why he helped Delta get what it wanted.

To me it looks like Delta wins and guess who LUSes :lol:
It's you.

Does anyone know what cities will receive new or additional service in both rounds of the increases at DCA? Someone over on Flyertalk posted the first round will include:

BDL 1x E70
BGR 2x CRJ
BHM 3X CRJ
FAY 1X CRJ
IND 1X E70
ISP 2x CRJ
LIT 2x E70
MEM 3x CRJ
OAJ 1x CRJ
OMA 1x E70
PNS 2x CRJ
SAV 1x CRJ
TLH 1x CRJ
VPS 1x CRJ

Does anyone know what the second round will bring?

Also on Flyertalk, it was posted that CLT will start two CRJ's to DSM in March, two CR7's to OMA., and one PHL to SLC.

Apparently US has loaded the first part of their new DCA schedule and it is predominantly 50 seat RJs with no mainline flights with new flights to the midwest and the east coast.

Thanks for the market list, CLTRob. Looks like we posted about the same time.

(Sorry if this had already been posted)

Not part of the slot swap per se, but I just found out that US will start CLT-OMA service (Express, not mainline, of course. Also about the OMA-DCA flight that will start. IIRC, OMA was one the cities that HP started on its first day of service. Glad that it will connected to the East.

I believe it is a "return" to OMA from the east. I think it was served years ago, probably from CLT, by the F100.

Does anyone know what cities will receive new or additional service in both rounds of the increases at DCA? Someone over on Flyertalk posted the first round will include:

BDL 1x E70
BGR 2x CRJ
BHM 3X CRJ
FAY 1X CRJ
IND 1X E70
ISP 2x CRJ
LIT 2x E70
MEM 3x CRJ
OAJ 1x CRJ
OMA 1x E70
PNS 2x CRJ
SAV 1x CRJ
TLH 1x CRJ
VPS 1x CRJ

Does anyone know what the second round will bring?

Also on Flyertalk, it was posted that CLT will start two CRJ's to DSM in March, two CR7's to OMA., and one PHL to SLC.

This is probably an accurate picture of where all those dearly "won" DCA slots are going. Nothing mainline at all. It's Delta/ComAir at Cinncinatti redux.

Back