Delta, US Airways Close Deal to Transfer Flying Rights in New York and Washington, D.C.

DCA is 15 minutes from my front door, and US' flight selection is a big reason I made US my primary carrier for the coming year. That said, the last thing DCA appears to need is a bunch more CRJ's blocking in at 35A. :)

DCA is 15 minutes from my front door, and US' flight selection is a big reason I made US my primary carrier for the coming year. That said, the last thing DCA appears to need is a bunch more CRJ's blocking in at 35A. :)
As know by now US operates on two concourses when transferring between the two on foot requires security rescreening as well as a very busy express busing operation. Adding more flights is going to be interesting

This is probably an accurate picture of where all those dearly "won" DCA slots are going. Nothing mainline at all. It's Delta/ComAir at Cinncinatti redux.

Sounds more like a Pentagon/DC connection to large military bases: VPS, PNS, SAV, OAJ, FAY and TLH. Something that CVG did not have as a draw.

So Views Jester.

Sounds more like a Pentagon/DC connection to large military bases: VPS, PNS, SAV, OAJ, FAY and TLH. Something that CVG did not have as a draw.

So Views Jester.
so far call me unimpressed with the use of the slots or the markets with which the slots will be used for.... government business is not typically high yielding although it is reliable.
If the intention is merely to sit on the slots using the smallest jets possible, competitors including WN will make every case possible whenever any changes to DCA slots become available - perimeter exemptions, new Air21 slots, or future asset swaps/mergers.
Based on the most recent data, DL has continued to maintain a consistent share of the CVG local market despite pulling down alot of flying... in other words, the capacity that has come out was what was used to carry connecting passengers THROUGH CVG.
If DL can use those same assets to produce new revenue such as at LGA while routing the connecting traffic that used to go through CVG through other hubs such as DTW and ATL, then they are using their assets better.
IN order to make the slot swap work, US needs to produce more revenue and do so in somewhat close to the proportion of new slots they gained.

As know by now US operates on two concourses when transferring between the two on foot requires security rescreening as well as a very busy express busing operation. Adding more flights is going to be interesting

At least US finally got the okay from MWAA to use the fixed fire stairs instead of the rickety jetway stairs with open grating in the steps. Now they are asking MWAA for its blessing to have a canopy over the stairs. Of course, customers who can't do stairs still have to exit the sterile area and be screened again. No fun on 30 min connection and ten minute door close.

I would love to know whose bright idea it was for the layout of DCA, with each concourse having its own sterile area.

Back