American Needs US Air Merger: Analyst

:lol: PHL the "Crown Jewel"? PHL may be profitable and have great O&D numbers but...

Well, in the context of an airline hub that offers these benefits, could you please explain what a "Crown Jewel" is?

referring to PHL as a "Crown Jewel" is sorta like giving the school tramp the title of Prom Queen (and a Crown) just because she had sex with every member of the Senior Class. US has a lot of value but pitting one hub against another is senseless and really tarnishes any value of the Company as a whole.

You don't have to like the City of Philadelphia to recognize it makes money. A lot of folks don't like Newark for many of the same reasons that you attribute to Philly, but as far as CO is concerned it rocks because it's profitable. It's a business, so profitability is the name of the game. Now as far as the "school tramp" is concerned, if her objective was to win the title of "Prom Queen" and if she won by sleeping around then more power to her. She reached her objective so don't hate, congratulate. Like it or not, as ugly as you say Philly is it is indispensible to US Airways. I do agree with your comment about the senselessness of trashing hubs not being good for the company, so take your own advice and stop doing it.

didn't I just read something about the city of Philadelphia just approving over 500 million dollars for a total Airport redo?? If so, let's just hope US is still around in PHL to benefit from that makeover!

You don't have to like the City of Philadelphia to recognize it makes money. A lot of folks don't like Newark for many of the same reasons that you attribute to Philly, but as far as CO is concerned it rocks because it's profitable. It's a business, so profitability is the name of the game. Now as far as the "school tramp" is concerned, if her objective was to win the title of "Prom Queen" and if she won by sleeping around then more power to her. She reached her objective so don't hate, congratulate. Like it or not, as ugly as you say Philly is it is indispensible to US Airways. I do agree with your comment about the senselessness of trashing hubs not being good for the company, so take your own advice and stop doing it.
FIRST of ALL, DON'T PREACH to ME. My comments about PHL were in reference to some people on here that think PHL is "so special" and is where money is printed faster than the Frat Boys can load it into a Brink's Truck. These same people always have a smart tongue when it comes to CLT and PHX......so it IS DIRECTED at them. But referring to PHL as some great prize where ANY airline would want to deal with the "philly factor" is laughable. (Let's NOT forget the infamous PHL Meltdown of 2004............MANY Customer's haven't and that served as not only a BLACK EYE for The City of Philadelphia but employees EVERYWHERE .) Maybe You don't remember the facts but there are plenty of people that will still shun not only PHL but the airline altogether. That was the point. So referring to PHL as some Crown or "Bastion of Air Service" is where the joke lies.

didn't I just read something about the city of Philadelphia just approving over 500 million dollars for a total Airport redo?? If so, let's just hope US is still around in PHL to benefit from that makeover!

The plan released earlier this month calls for $5.2 billion over the next 12-15 years:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/business/20100507_Airport_planning__5_2_billion_expansion.html#axzz0p9H2gZFe

Figure with cost overruns and construction delays, it should be done by 2030 at a cost of $12 billion or so.

FIRST of ALL, DON'T PREACH to ME. My comments about PHL were in reference to some people on here that think PHL is "so special" and is where money is printed faster than the Frat Boys can load it into a Brink's Truck. These same people always have a smart tongue when it comes to CLT and PHX......so it IS DIRECTED at them. But referring to PHL as some great prize where ANY airline would want to deal with the "philly factor" is laughable. (Let's NOT forget the infamous PHL Meltdown of 2004............MANY Customer's haven't and that served as not only a BLACK EYE for The City of Philadelphia but employees EVERYWHERE .) Maybe You don't remember the facts but there are plenty of people that will still shun not only PHL but the airline altogether. That was the point. So referring to PHL as some Crown or "Bastion of Air Service" is where the joke lies.

Not preaching to you at all. Just pointing out your conflicting and hypocritical statement. I do remember the Christmas fiasco of 2004. Apparently you don't, because it wasn't the City of Philly who screwed up, but as the government later found out it was MANAGEMENT who screwed that up. You don't have to believe me. As they say: LOOK IT UP! PEACE. OUT.:rolleyes:

CLT makes money primarily because its airport fees are subsidized and approach Zero. If the "crown jewel" isn't the airport that produces the most revenue and profit - what is a "Crown Jewel" ? CLT's history is that it has difficulty making most long haul, year round flights successful unless their subsidized or go to LGW or *HQ at FRA

Huh? The airport fees are most certainly not "subsidized", whatever that was supposed to mean. If you are implying the local governments contribute you the airport, so that taxpayers are helping run the airport, then you would be incorrect. CLT operates and expands based on its own revenue streams. All bonds are backed only by airport revenue (landing fees, gate rentals, and parking).

Also, what long haul, year round flight is subsidized? The answer is none, though BofA did used to guanantee revenue on the CLT-SFO flights back when NationsBank bought BankAmerica....I doubt they still do, as US has increased the frequency of the flight.

PHL I heard is the #1 money maker for US, CLT, is the cheapest hub to operate.

I don't know, but last I heard PHL was 3rd most profitable US city, with CLT being 1st.

LMAO!!!!!!!!! Where did you hear that? PHL is by far the biggest revenue generator, and highest O&D. DCA/Shuttle is high O&D and commands a high premium. CLT is a fantastic hub made better by it's low costs.

We have gone way off topic. The topic was not about PHL 's strength but what USAirways has to offer American or anyone else in a merger.

I say with all the reported losses that AMR has been going through, a bankrupsy for them may eventually happen. Approach them then with a potential merger, with US as the dominant carrier. Then US calls the shots. We have all seen what happens when AA calls the shots when combining airlines.

Unfortunately, we have seen what happens when both extremely unlikely partners called the shots.
Point taken. But the point that I'd like make is that it is better for the employees and communites of US to remain a stand alone carrier, than possibly face what may become US if AA dominates a merger.

Point taken. But the point that I'd like make is that it is better for the employees and communites of US to remain a stand alone carrier, than possibly face what may become US if AA dominates a merger.

IF (and that is a big if) a merger were to happen, it would almost require (at least on paper) that US be the dominant carrier. If American were to aquire US, all the US employees (Pilots and FA's especially) would be screaming to be brought up to AA pay levels and work rules. GOODBYE US cost advantage.
If US were the dominant carrier (especially if AA were in bankruptcy), the AA contracts could be brought down to US levels and !viola! problem solved.

Back