Wisconsin Protesters Target Special Olympics Ceremony

Ms Tree

Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
What kind of twisted idiot has a protest at the Special Olympics? I mean really?

The silent protest immediately brought to mind the ongoing fight over union rights that led to three weeks of rowdy demonstrations at the state Capitol in the spring that paralyzed Wisconsin's government as Senate Democrats fled to Illinois in an unsuccessful attempt to block a vote.

Yet the protest on Wednesday appeared to be unrelated. Earlier in the day, a statewide student organization held what it calls an educational event on the opposite side of the Capitol on a new voter ID law that it says will make it harder for students to vote. The United Council of UW Students provided zombie makeup and T-shirts that read, "Students are as good as dead."

I understand that the right to vote is important. It is one of the corner stones of our republic. I get that. But these kids have a hard enough time as it is. Seems like there are more appropriate ways of showing your irritation to your governor.

What kind of twisted idiot has a protest at the Special Olympics? I mean really?

I understand that the right to vote is important. It is one of the corner stones of our republic. I get that. But these kids have a hard enough time as it is. Seems like there are more appropriate ways of showing your irritation to your governor.

You actually answered your own question as to why? In a word, "Publicity". We live in that kind of world were there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Atheists

• Banned
You actually answered your own question as to why? In a word, "Publicity". We live in that kind of world were there is no such thing as bad publicity.

I understand the why. I jut don't get the why. At some point you have to put the needs of others above your own. These folks worked hard to get to the Olympics. Let them have their moment.

Protesters appear anywhere that Walker goes. Anywhere.

Walker shouldn't have sullied these kids' big day. If I was a parent of one, I'd be pissed.

Special Olympics spokesman was quoted as saying that this was peaceful, and no "disruption" occurred.

Walker shouldn't have sullied these kids' big day. If I was a parent of one, I'd be pissed.

Special Olympics spokesman was quoted as saying that this was peaceful, and no "disruption" occurred.

So now you blame it on Walker for your liberal progressive buddies acting uncivil? Seriously? :blink:

You really have sunken to a new despicable low Kev. I think that may warrant a "GTH" for you over that.

• Banned

I think I tend to agree. If Walker knows he is a protest magnet then he should consider where he is going. Protesting is a 1st amendment right so there is no way to stop them if the even is on public property. So if he knows he is going to be protested, he should be a bit more careful where he goes. Special Olympics would be one of them. I think this would fall in to that category of placing the needs of others above your own. Especially true of political figures. There are very few who are capable of doing that it seems.

I think I tend to agree. If Walker knows he is a protest magnet then he should consider where he is going. Protesting is a 1st amendment right so there is no way to stop them if the even is on public property. So if he knows he is going to be protested, he should be a bit more careful where he goes. Special Olympics would be one of them. I think this would fall in to that category of placing the needs of others above your own. Especially true of political figures. There are very few who are capable of doing that it seems.
Figures a dolt like you would also lay blame elsewhere besides those that perpetrate it.

Personal responsibility be damned, its always someone else's fault.

In a liberals world of twisted reasoning: Millions of Jews died because they "should be a bit more careful" where they went?

In a liberals world of twisted reasoning: JFK shouldn't have rode in convertible and "be a bit more careful"?

Unbelievable. you people are sick in the head.

1392985-091128_derp_super.jpg

Does this look like "no disruption" to you? Standing directly in front of the Special Olympics participants and blocking their view?

You really are a piece of work Kev.

Exactly, except that Walker is such a megalomaniac that he never thinks of the repercussions of his actions (or maybe just doesn't give a f***).

... And let's not forget that while Walker showed up at this ceremony, he's at the very same time trying to eviscerate programs in special education & health that directly benefit these kids.

Exactly, except that Walker is such a megalomaniac that he never thinks of the repercussions of his actions (or maybe just doesn't give a f***).

... And let's not forget that while Walker showed up at this ceremony, he's at the very same time trying to eviscerate programs in special education & health that directly benefit these kids.

So you equate honoring the participants of the Special Olympians with megalomania? :blink:

Wow, that's a pretty dark and ugly place you live in your mind there Kev.

Bravo in joining the likes of Tree/Garf and the rest of the pathetic liberals here.

• Banned

Most voters are not going to read an article that says he is cutting funds. They are much more likely to see him at the event so he can say he supports them while he is pulling the rug out. Its a win win for him.

I disagree. Nobody should let some protester stop him from going to an event to honor some deserving group. Should he stop going to veteran ceremonies because someone might show to protest the wars....

I think not.

• Banned
I agree that it should not happen but it does. The protesters have a 1st amendment right to be there. So there are two options as far as I can tell. Either show up with the protesters and ruin the kids event or dont show up. Which is better?

Walker did not sully these kids day at all. It was agenda driven self centrists who marginalized the children.

Back