We told you to sit down in turbulence

Seriously, people are CONSTANTLY out of their seats during the sit down and shut the hell up portion of the flights.

I felt bad for this old man though, you could tell he had to have a spill very badly though... The plane hadn't even stopped climbing hahahah!

Morons...I always have my belts on no matter what...Might save your neck from getting snapped into two pieces and you of course know nonrevs don't get coverage...so double these belts...

I can't speak for the Canadian flight but the other day it was really bumpy and the fasten seatbelt sign was on and the captain made an announcement. Then people started getting up and I told them to go sit down that it was too bumpy to be up. Then I made an additional announcement telling everyone they MUST remain seated with their seatbelts securely fastened, this is for their safety and the safety of those around them, we will let them know when it is safe to get up, once again REMAIN seated, yadda, yadda, yadda. What do you know? Some more people get up to go to the lav or get something out of the OHC. I yell at them to sit down and make another announcement. No, people don't listen. Rules don't apply to them, remember?

Another thing that irritates me is when we land and we are almost at the gate but not yet there and a pilot makes an announcement to remain seated since we aren't at the gate yet then two seconds later people stand up to get their things out of the overhead bin. When one gets up they all get up it seems like and here we are yelling at them to sit down and making announcements to remain seated. I know some f/as don't care and they don't make a big deal about it but I hate it when people think they don't have to follow rules and it is fun to yell at them too. :lol:

thats where if there were an accident on ground the folks who got hurt due to not listening to the f/as and pilots shouldnt be allowed to sue

This happens because of "the boy who cried wolf". When you tell people to be seated far too often, the message gets lost.

I know much of this is FAA regs, but nevertheless, requiring people to be seated before the plane can start moving back from the gate, and while the plane is moving 5 MPH toward the gate at the other end, and for the first and last 30 minutes of flight, results in the message being watered down.

635am PBI-CLT had a lot of turbulence on TOD down to exiting the runway...yes we had turbulence (not the ground variety) but the wings were bouncing as we were exiting 23 :) Nothing like two screwdrivers in F and some bumpity bump to start a trip to SJO.

635am PBI-CLT had a lot of turbulence on TOD down to exiting the runway...yes we had turbulence (not the ground variety) but the wings were bouncing as we were exiting 23 :) Nothing like two screwdrivers in F and some bumpity bump to start a trip to SJO.
YV please enlight us all??? What in the heck do you do really? FLy all over the place for the fun of it? Do your parents support your endevours? Must be nice to fly everyway, and anyway you want, I don't get it??? :eek:

This happens because of "the boy who cried wolf". When you tell people to be seated far too often, the message gets lost.

I know much of this is FAA regs, but nevertheless, requiring people to be seated before the plane can start moving back from the gate, and while the plane is moving 5 MPH toward the gate at the other end, and for the first and last 30 minutes of flight, results in the message being watered down.

A sudden stop from less than 5 mph, with people standing, can be pretty entertaining, from experience. Generally, the passengers are reaching for baggage and as they lose their balance they bring not only their bags but others into the mix. While those standing can resist the initial stop, someone losing their footing can bring down four or five of those braced only for themselves.

Remember one hitting the bottom of his jaw on the top of a passenger's head who was properly seated. Spewing blood from his bit tongue, yelling, "I'll thue, I'll thue". Great drama. Better than IFEs anytime. The fist fight that resulted was cute, too. LAX->LAS.

First of all, you better believe that if I'm not supposed to be up, then I'm not going to let anyone else get up. What if that person were to fall and get hurt! Imagine if that pax standing were to fall on other pax or better yet, fall on me as they head to the lav! Oh, and can you imagine someone trying to sue us? Even if they don't sue us, I don't want that complaint letter in my file. I've already received complaint letters about things I didn't do and was told I should have filled out a safety report even though no one was hurt but don't even get me started on that one. Anyway, the person standing up will try and say the f/as didn't say we had to sit down so then the fault all falls on me, no pun intended. At least if I do my job and tell them to take their seats, I have at least done what I am supposed to do and I can write in the report that I told pax to remain seated over pa and verbally told/him face to face, one-on-one to take his/her seat but said pax refused...Have you heard of CYA?

First of all, you better believe that if I'm not supposed to be up, then I'm not going to let anyone else get up. What if that person were to fall and get hurt! Imagine if that pax standing were to fall on other pax or better yet, fall on me as they head to the lav! Oh, and can you imagine someone trying to sue us? Even if they don't sue us, I don't want that complaint letter in my file. I've already received complaint letters about things I didn't do and was told I should have filled out a safety report even though no one was hurt but don't even get me started on that one. Anyway, the person standing up will try and say the f/as didn't say we had to sit down so then the fault all falls on me, no pun intended. At least if I do my job and tell them to take their seats, I have at least done what I am supposed to do and I can write in the report that I told pax to remain seated over pa and verbally told/him face to face, one-on-one to take his/her seat but said pax refused...Have you heard of CYA?

I understand. I'm just saying that CYA is the opposite of effective. Sad but true.

Flight Chic,
Try this: (to the people standing) "You understand that I have told you twice that it is unsafe for you to be standing?" Even better with an audience of those who ARE complying.

I did that to a guy and he looked at me like he wouldn't comply, then thought about it and sat down. Mildly threatening, but you can hear it in court.

Yeah, and most Interstate highways in the U.S. are capable of handling vehicles traveling 80+ mph, but the LAW says 65 mph. I hope you don't try to use your "it's safe so it should be ok" with the cop writing you the ticket. :lol:

More on the incident from The Toronto Star

From the article:
What caused the aircraft to plunge so suddenly was unknown. Canada's Transportation Safety Board was investigating but said it was too soon to determine whether the "control problems" were caused by turbulence, mechanical problems or a mistake by the flight crew.

"They came on the intercom and explained they were flying manually and that the computer had been knocked out. And I don't know if it was knocked out before, and that caused the lurch, or it was knocked out after, because of the plane lurching back and forth."

The flight attendants were amazing, because a lot of them were injured themselves so they had cuts and were trying to dab blood out of their eyes," said Harvey. She described one flight attendant rushing down the aisle of the plane with a cloth pressed to her bleeding forehead as she came to the assistance of injured passengers.

One woman, speaking to reporters outside the Calgary airport, said she was sitting in first class when one side of the plane "went up sort of sideways and then came back down." Her friend was one of those rushed to hospital after flying up and hitting the ceiling.

According to a preliminary Transport Canada account of yesterday's incident, the pilots advised air traffic controllers of an "aircraft upset" that resulted in the Airbus's sudden manoeuvres.

Any comments (turbulance or mechanical, etc.)?

Yeah, and most Interstate highways in the U.S. are capable of handling vehicles traveling 80+ mph, but the LAW says 65 mph. I hope you don't try to use your "it's safe so it should be ok" with the cop writing you the ticket. :lol:

Isn't the rural Interstate speed limit in Texas 75, like it is here in Arizona? Are there any states where the max speed on any highway in that state is still only 65? Maybe a few of those crowded, county-sized little states 'back East'?

Back