United Revenues Increasing

Well folks, while Chip is chronically repeating his negative opines and so-called personal analysis on UA, the company is reporting how employees are being stranded for an additional 4 to 5 days in Latin America due to the full flights. The full flights is unprecedented in the eyes of the Latin American manager. Pass travelers across the system are experiencing delays in getting to their destinations due to revenue customers filling the flights. Fancy that Chip, UA is making money au contraire to your negative spin.

Chip Munn said:
Cosmo, in regard to United's second quarter results, I said United's loss would have been the numbers discussed if the airline had not received the IRS tax refund and the federal bailout. I believe you neglected to point that out.
One last time, Chip.

THE INCOME TAX REFUND RECEIVED IN THE SECOND QUARTER OF 2003 WAS A CASH FLOW ITEM, NOT AN INCOME STATEMENT ITEM. THIS MEANS THAT IT HAD NO/NONE/NADA/ZILCH IMPACT ON UNITED'S QUARTERLY NET LOSS.

And if you don't believe me (and you obviously don't), take it verbatim from United's press release:

UAL's second-quarter loss was $623 million, or a loss per basic share of $6.26, which includes a net $(147) million in special items described in the notes to the financial tables. This performance compares to a second-quarter 2002 tax-effected loss of $341 million, or a loss per basic share of $6.08, including special items. Excluding $300 million received from the government in compensation for losses related to the Iraq war and $(447) million in special items, UAL’s loss for the second quarter totaled $476 million, or a loss per basic share of $4.79.

And BTW, it's only fair that if you're going to take out the one-time credits in an attempt to arrive at United's "real" quarterly net loss, you also must remove the one-time charges as well -- something else you neglected to do.

My God, man, what is so difficult about this concept that you still don't understand it? Are you that accounting-challenged? Or is the truth simply that it doesn't agree with "The World According To Chip"?

Unfortunately for UAers, Chip is telling the truth.

There's little doubt that UA has done well during Q3 2003; however, the problem starts this month, as mutiple industry insiders and observers have made clear that September and Q4 2003 loads and yields are likely to be as weak IF NOT WEAKER than during the same period last year. While this doesn't pose a critical problem for most airlines, UA was already on track to likely miss the October and November 2003 DIP targets. IMHO, I believe that UA will dodge the DIP bullet this year, but it will not be pretty: In order to obtain relief from its lenders, I expect that UA mgmt. will force a "sudden" ultimatum upon the workgroups: either give the company IMMEDIATE cost/pension plan savings or else we'll liquidate.

avek00 said:
UA was already on track to likely miss the October and November 2003 DIP targets.
Do you have proof for this claim, that you have posted as fact and not opinion?

I didn't think so. Tilton, as well as several other sources have already been quoted saying that UAL is on track to meet all of it's DIP targets for the remainder of the year.

Be careful junior, or you may end up on the disavowed list. :unsure:

Avek, we know you are pro scabinfested CAL <_< , which is freightening considering your activism in the "new" democratic party (you on the Dean bandwagon yet?), but a few points. UAL posted an operating PROFIT in july and will post an even LARGER operating profit for Aug. UAL's CASM will likely be BELOW CAL's. UAL has enjoyed a HUGE yield turnaround, which probably will put them ahead of CAL in RASM. UAL WILL meet Oct and Nov DIP even with fairly conservative revenue forcasts. Even if they didn't, not the end of the world, U missed ALL it's DIP targets, yet got a government loan (despite the anti-labor admendmends inserted by your pal limosine liberal John Corzine (D-NJ)). :down: You say meeting dip targets, but won't be pretty? DIP targets are a Cumulative EBITAR PROFIT DESPITE a WAR! Sounds impressive to me.

Back