TSA New Directive (CREWS)

Sthrnboy

Senior
Jul 18, 2006
35,000ft above EARTH
Hey Guys/Gals

Now from the other airlines and I am sure ours will get a memo out... Look at this....

All deadheading, commuting, or any other non-working (meaning not working the flight in which one will be taking- hence the inclusion of deadhead crewmembers) uniformed crewmembers must clear the TSA security checkpoint at the airport of their departure. This includes those who have already cleared a TSA security checkpoint at another airport, or the same one from which you began at earlier (if you flew a turn). Before jumping on your flight home or your deadhead, be sure to clear TSA. With how tight our schedules are constructed sometimes, some of our flights may be delayed as there may not be sufficient time for inbound working crewmembers who will be deadheading on a tight connection.

I'm not a paranoid security ninny, but you're gonna want to edit your post to remove the Security Directive - as SSI, posting it is a no-no. Just my opinion.

I'm not a paranoid security ninny, but you're gonna want to edit your post to remove the Security Directive - as SSI, posting it is a no-no. Just my opinion.
I love how the message in CatCrew gives us BIG warnings about NOT posting any of this or speaking of it since it is HIGH security, and here it is almost immediately.

I love how the message in CatCrew gives us BIG warnings about NOT posting any of this or speaking of it since it is HIGH security, and here it is almost immediately.

Hey if you really want to read stuff about security slide over to FlyerTalk & read the "travel safety & security" forum. Or better yet register & post if you havent.

It was in another form... I just copyed it... It did not come from US Airways ... It came from a American Airlines Web site.... Not a company site... just a average site.

Also, I just posted it... :blink:

TSA's WEb site...

TSA Launches Airport-Wide Security Surge – Program Greatly Increases Screening of Airport Employees
March 13, 2007
TSA Media Inquiries Only – (571) 227-2829
All Other Inquiries - (866) 289-9673

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Transportation Security Administration today announced the first in a series of airport employee security operations to flexibly and nimbly increase layered security measures at our nation's airports. The surge operation, launched yesterday, is underway at Orlando International, Tampa International, Miami International, Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood International and Luis Muñoz Marín International (San Juan, Puerto Rico) airports.

TSA has deployed 160 transportation security officers, aviation security inspectors, federal air marshals and other personnel to increase current employee and passenger security capabilities at these five airports. TSA began randomly screening employees working in secure areas of the airport approximately one year ago at 20 airports, and broadened the program early last fall. Now, roving groups of officers screen employees on a random and unpredictable basis nationwide.

“TSA moves in a flexible, nimble fashion to address vulnerabilities with a layered security approach,†said TSA Administrator Kip Hawley. “Every employee should have a reasonable expectation that they could be screened at any time, at any access point within the footprint of the airport.â€

This surge implements security enhancements directly focusing on employees working in airport secure areas. These include:

a sharp increase in random, unpredictable screening of employees in secure areas;
limiting secure area access during non-business hours and auditing door access during those hours for suspicious activity;
deploying integrated teams of federal air marshals, K-9 teams, law enforcement officers and transportation security officers to areas throughout the airport;
conducting random screening of employees and passengers at boarding gates, including behavior detection; and
TSOs randomly inspecting aircraft.
TSA will conduct additional operations in other regions in the coming weeks and months on an unannounced basis. While there is no intelligence that indicates a specific threat to aviation in Florida or Puerto Rico, this mobilization illustrates TSA’s ability to quickly and unpredictably deploy assets based on risk. The agency has developed a longer-term, sustainable plan with our airport and airline partners not only for the Florida/Puerto Rico region, but for the entire U.S. aviation system.

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

A flight attendant or pilot works an incoming flight to PHL let's say. He or she then goes off duty, and deadheads home to FLL, for example. Does this mean that the crew member in question who is already in a secured area must walk out and clear again just because of a change in duty status?

If so makes NO sense.......but then again........

Assuming the person cleared a legitimate checkpoint at the start of the duty day, why would they have to exit and re check just because they are deadheading?

I understand if they are JUST deadheading they should be cleared completely like anyone else, but the way I am reading it just doesn't make sense.

Thank you for any clarification.

That's the way I read it, Art. Plus, it sounds like a crew member with a two leg commute will have to reclear at their connection point.

Jim

Yeah, makes no sense to me. How can they possibly enforce something like this?

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

A flight attendant or pilot works an incoming flight to PHL let's say. He or she then goes off duty, and deadheads home to FLL, for example. Does this mean that the crew member in question who is already in a secured area must walk out and clear again just because of a change in duty status?

If so makes NO sense.......but then again........

Assuming the person cleared a legitimate checkpoint at the start of the duty day, why would they have to exit and re check just because they are deadheading?

I understand if they are JUST deadheading they should be cleared completely like anyone else, but the way I am reading it just doesn't make sense.

Thank you for any clarification.

Art, remember we are dealing with the gummint here. It doesn't have to make sense. But yes, other than your terminology--which I will explain--you have it correct.

As I am a commuter and I'm based in STL, we'll use me as an example.

I cleared security at whatever airport--STL or otherwise--when I came to work this morning. I arrive back at STL at the end of my trip this evening. I have to go outside security and come back through before proceeding to my commuter flight home from the same concourse at which I just arrived.

Now, maybe other airlines do it differently, but at AA we differentiate between deadheading--which is traveling as a passenger on company business--and non-revving--which is all other travel I do on AA whether leisure or commuting. For instance, last Friday night, I flew down to DFW as a passenger to work a flight back to STL--deadheading. Saturday morning, I non-revved back to DFW to come home.

The worst part is that unless I have misunderstood the directive--and since I worked for the government years ago, I'm pretty good at deciphering the gobbledygook--both deadheaders and non-revvers will have to go back outside security and come back through. I had a sequence this month where I worked a flight from STL-LGA, then deadheaded to DFW where I worked a flight back to STL. (In case you hadn't figured it out by now, I'm on reserve this month. :lol: ) Under the new directive, I would have had to go back outside security at LGA before boarding my flight to DFW. This is a pain in the butt. :shock:

I received notice of this from our union. It seems that this has been caused by a crewmember at another airline who used an employees' portal at the airport which did not require TSA screening to sneak handguns and ammunition into the secure area which he then took on a flight out of the continental U.S. (Puerto Rico, I think) to sell at his/her destination. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Ok, I get the idea here, but how will they enforce this? I mean, if I arrive back in base for my commuting flight home to FLL, how will the agent at the boarding door know if I recleared security or not? Will they ask everyone in uniform? What stops me from putting my luggage in the crew room, and then clearing security? I am so confused.... Help!

:wacko:

Well, I know that TSA at STL still does random "at the gate" screening from time to time. Granted, most of the time you could probably get away with not going through re-screening, and unless you are one of the crewmembers that goes out of your way to p*ss off the gate agents when you are working, I'm sure they would not squeal on you. BUT, if you got caught, the penalties would be the same as if a passenger sneaked into the secure area without going through screening--not good.

<SNIP> how will the agent at the boarding door know if I recleared security or not?
How about a rubber stamp on your hand.

You know, like when you go out clubbing?

HandStamp.jpg

Back