Teamsters at the GOP Convention

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
IBT Pres. Sean O'Brien just wrapped up addressing the RNC in Milwaukee, which is the first time they've appeared on that stage, and he was the last speaker of the night, which is usually a fairly significant slot. Trump and Vance were in the audience, and O'Brien gave glowing praise to both along with Hawley and others.

Not the most conventional speech and it might have been a bit uncomfortable for a few, but it's a pretty big acknowledgement by both the GOP and the IBT that union workers are indeed shifting to the right.

His message to politicians on both sides: "What are you doing to help the American worker?" was met with thundering applause...

The IBT has already hinted they might not endorse Biden. I wouldn't expect that they'll endorse the GOP, but if they sit on the sidelines, that's a huge shift in itself.

Last edited:
And when they find that the Republican party will do nothing for them, they will change again. Republicans have been anti union for quite some time. A union guy thinks of a good job and thinks high pay good benefits. A Republican hears Union and thinks "they are paying a guy $75 per hour to put a bumper on a car". In other words, while they are the party of the blue collar worker, they think they are overpaid and "you are lucky to have a job" . They will pass a tariff on cars not made in the US, but will still support using money saved on tax cuts on stock buybacks and not pay increases for workers.

And when they find that the Republican party will do nothing for them, they will change again. Republicans have been anti union for quite some time.

As usual, KFC loves to live in the past, yet won't admit that working class folks both union and non‐union were much better off five years ago.

The makeup and goals of the GOP base has shifted whether you want to admit it or not, so while the Party of Reagan might have favored corporations, the Party of Trump seems to favors leaving more money in everyone's wallet.

As usual, KFC loves to live in the past, yet won't admit that working class folks both union and non‐union were much better off five years ago.

The makeup and goals of the GOP base has shifted whether you want to admit it or not, so while the Party of Reagan might have favored corporations, the Party of Trump seems to favors leaving more money in everyone's wallet.
I would call a historic tax cut where businesses bought back stock instead of raising employee pay, upgrading facilities or hiring more people, pretty darn business friendly. But how easily the suckers are bought off...the companies, flush with cash, gave them a $1,000 bonus. No significant pay increases and that was a one time bonus..

Should Trump succeed in a 100% tariff on foreign made products...even products made by American companies, he will hurt everybody, including the unions. Because a tariff is a tax and we all know that businesses don't pay taxes - consumers do.

I would call a historic tax cut where businesses bought back stock instead of raising employee pay, upgrading facilities or hiring more people, pretty darn business friendly. But how easily the suckers are bought off...the companies, flush with cash, gave them a $1,000 bonus. No significant pay increases and that was a one time bonus..

Should Trump succeed in a 100% tariff on foreign made products...even products made by American companies, he will hurt everybody, including the unions. Because a tariff is a tax and we all know that businesses don't pay taxes - consumers do.

Sorry but I have to be honest here. 5 years ago my Union was still in negotiations with AA but AA and our Industry after Trump got into office and passed the TCJA were raising our pay like crazy. It was almost an industry competition who was going to give the most amount of raises.

Those raises gave me the ability to raise my 401K up to where I now have it at 30% on top of the other 9% I get from the Company.

My Taxes did go down and I’m not a Corporation either.

Under Biden whether he can really be blamed or not my pay raises slowed and inflation is eating away my gains. I’m only keeping it where I want by working overtime.

My 401K sucked in 2022 but recovered the next year and is admittedly on fire this year. Is that because of any policies Biden introduced? I don’t really think so. More so probably due to AI and the continuing effects of the Tax cuts and Jobs Act.

Trump during Covid never wavered with saying “We have to help the Airlines” And he was a huge help. Kept me floated through the Pandemic.
Biden did not include any further Airline aid in his American Rescue Plan. Thankfully a bipartisan Congress put it in.

Trump’s DOJ approved the NEA which was going to help my Company fill gaps it needed to compete with Delta and United.

Biden’s DOJ came in and screwed us. Now look at how well Delta and United are doing while AA flounders. Thanks a lot Joe.

Biden seems to constantly be going after the Airlines. I work for the Airlines. Joe goes after them he goes after me.

Biden has not been good for me personally. I’m sincerely hoping when Trump gets back in that things will once again start looking up. ⬆️

Last edited:

“America” 🇺🇸 First!!! The weird thing is how ANY American or someone who lives and works here can have any problem with that? I just can’t understand it?

IMG_0894.jpeg

IMG_0895.jpeg

Sorry but I have to be honest here. 5 years ago my Union was still in negotiations with AA but AA and our Industry after Trump got into office and passed the TCJA were raising our pay like crazy. It was almost an industry competition who was going to give the most amount of raises.

Those raises gave me the ability to raise my 401K up to where I now have it at 30% on top of the other 9% I get from the Company.

My Taxes did go down and I’m not a Corporation either.

Under Biden whether he can really be blamed or not my pay raises slowed and inflation is eating away my gains. I’m only keeping it where I want by working overtime.

My 401K sucked in 2022 but recovered the next year and is admittedly on fire this year. Is that because of any policies Biden introduced? I don’t really think so. More so probably due to AI and the continuing effects of the Tax cuts and Jobs Act.

Trump during Covid never wavered with saying “We have to help the Airlines” And he was a huge help. Kept me floated through the Pandemic.
Biden did not include any further Airline aid in his American Rescue Plan. Thankfully a bipartisan Congress put it in.

Trump’s DOJ approved the NEA which was going to help my Company fill gaps it needed to compete with Delta and United.

Biden’s DOJ came in and screwed us. Now look at how well Delta and United are doing while AA flounders. Thanks a lot Joe.

Biden seems to constantly be going after the Airlines. I work for the Airlines. Joe goes after them he goes after me.

Biden has not been good for me personally. I’m sincerely hoping when Trump gets back in that things will once again start looking up. ⬆️
I am one of the lucky ones whose taxes went UP under the tax cut. I am single, I used to itemize deductions and the total was just over what the standard deduction was. But I lost my personal exemption. Granted, they didn't go up a lot, but they didn't go down either.

I wouldn't hold your breath about getting better under Trump. The only thing he can do tax-wise is make the 2017 cuts permanent, but you reach a point of limited returns...we really can afford further tax cuts.

As for the stock market - yep...the Fed raised rates to stem inflation. One has to wonder if inflation would have been so bad had they raised rates early..like they tried to do in 2017. In 2016 Trump was ranting in a debate that the Fed was being "very political" in artificially keeping rates low and correctly pointed out that if you raise them a little, the stock market would take a hit. And it did, and he squealed like a cut pig, in essence asking the Fed to continue being "very politial" . Had he endured that "short term pain" back then, HIS stock market would have taken off after a few months too. As for inflation - I pin that more on supply chain issues stemming from the pandemic. The same pandemic that gave us $1.80 gas and low inflation - since people weren't spending money.

I am one of the lucky ones whose taxes went UP under the tax cut. I am single, I used to itemize deductions and the total was just over what the standard deduction was. But I lost my personal exemption. Granted, they didn't go up a lot, but they didn't go down either.

I wouldn't hold your breath about getting better under Trump. The only thing he can do tax-wise is make the 2017 cuts permanent, but you reach a point of limited returns...we really can afford further tax cuts.

As for the stock market - yep...the Fed raised rates to stem inflation. One has to wonder if inflation would have been so bad had they raised rates early..like they tried to do in 2017. In 2016 Trump was ranting in a debate that the Fed was being "very political" in artificially keeping rates low and correctly pointed out that if you raise them a little, the stock market would take a hit. And it did, and he squealed like a cut pig, in essence asking the Fed to continue being "very politial" . Had he endured that "short term pain" back then, HIS stock market would have taken off after a few months too. As for inflation - I pin that more on supply chain issues stemming from the pandemic. The same pandemic that gave us $1.80 gas and low inflation - since people weren't spending money.

There are other ideologies that the “currents” highest profile Democratic Party members agree with and over-promote that I’m personally insulted by. I won’t say what they are even here but it doesn’t take a Rocket Scientist to figure them out.

Bill Maher keeps asking where the Moderate Democrats are (Like himself) and I’m asking the same thing. We know where they are. They’ve all been pushed down to the absolute bottom of the Party and are being ignored. They have no voices. Moderate Democrats aren’t even on the Bus.

If someone is ignored long enough they’re just not going to have a reason to stick around any longer when another group is offering them a ride and have been pretty nice at making room for them.

I like the sound of “Economic Populism” It has a nice ring to it if it can take root.

I don’t believe this is the same Democratic Party of Bill Clinton as much as I know this isn’t the same Republican Party of either George Bush’s. There’s been shifting in both Parties.

“Many labor leaders and rank-and-file members, inside and outside the Teamsters, are upset and feel betrayed by O’Brien’s speaking at a convention of the party that has been vehemently anti-union,” said Kate Bronfenbrenner, director of labor education research at Cornell University, citing conversations with union officials. “We have the Teamsters now endorsing, whether directly or indirectly, a Republican candidate that is very antilabor.”

“The Democratic Party is pro-labor union and pro-worker,” said Rep. Brendan Boyle (D-Pa.), the son of a Teamster, responding to O’Brien’s address. “Every single Democrat in Congress voted to save the pensions of hundreds of thousands of Teamsters workers. And every Republican voted against it.”

“Many labor leaders and rank-and-file members, inside and outside the Teamsters, are upset and feel betrayed by O’Brien’s speaking at a convention of the party that has been vehemently anti-union,” said Kate Bronfenbrenner, director of labor education research at Cornell University, citing conversations with union officials. “We have the Teamsters now endorsing, whether directly or indirectly, a Republican candidate that is very antilabor.”

“The Democratic Party is pro-labor union and pro-worker,” said Rep. Brendan Boyle (D-Pa.), the son of a Teamster, responding to O’Brien’s address. “Every single Democrat in Congress voted to save the pensions of hundreds of thousands of Teamsters workers. And every Republican voted against it.”

The Teamsters have 1.3 Million Members. “Many” will support Democrats, Republicans, Independents and many won’t care at all who Sean O’Brien speaks to.

As much as many don’t care at all what George Clooney wants either.

There are other ideologies that the “currents” highest profile Democratic Party members agree with and over-promote that I’m personally insulted by. I won’t say what they are even here but it doesn’t take a Rocket Scientist to figure them out.

Bill Maher keeps asking where the Moderate Democrats are (Like himself) and I’m asking the same thing. We know where they are. They’ve all been pushed down to the absolute bottom of the Party and are being ignored. They have no voices. Moderate Democrats aren’t even on the Bus.

If someone is ignored long enough they’re just not going to have a reason to stick around any longer when another group is offering them a ride and have been pretty nice at making room for them.

I like the sound of “Economic Populism” It has a nice ring to it if it can take root.

Speaking of being pushed to the absolute bottom of the party. Sadly there is a very good chance that the Democrats have done such a good job of rescuing the GOP that we may have a president and both houses of Congress along with the Supreme Court. When Roe v Wade was overturned, many on both sides were shocked when red states such as Kansas held a vote on abortion and voted overwhelmingly to keep it legal. Despite that, Kansas GOP lawmakers are trying their hardest to ban it and the national GOP is hoping for a national ban. So if you are a conservative that believes in the old conservative value that less government is better, be ready for them to ramrod a national abortion ban thru....and likely get it. Despite what the people actually want.

Speaking of being pushed to the absolute bottom of the party. Sadly there is a very good chance that the Democrats have done such a good job of rescuing the GOP that we may have a president and both houses of Congress along with the Supreme Court. When Roe v Wade was overturned, many on both sides were shocked when red states such as Kansas held a vote on abortion and voted overwhelmingly to keep it legal. Despite that, Kansas GOP lawmakers are trying their hardest to ban it and the national GOP is hoping for a national ban. So if you are a conservative that believes in the old conservative value that less government is better, be ready for them to ramrod a national abortion ban thru....and likely get it. Despite what the people actually want.

I have no clue why these parties think every voter gives a damn about abortion? I’m 59 years old. Who the hell am I planning on getting pregnant. I’m assuming you’re not a youngster either so what the hell does abortion have to do with you either.

Newsflash: Not everyone cares what a woman wants or doesn’t want to do with their bodies.

I care about money. I care about inflation, raises, the Market and Social Security. I care about seeing Wars end because we’re spending money on them. Not to mention the slaughter which people who support the Biden Government don’t seem to give a rats ass about.

I care about not having my ass blown to smithereens in a Nuclear ☢️ War.

That doesn’t bother you?

Latest posts

Back