Regional Flights To Be Tackled

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
Regional flights to be tackled

If industry patterns hold true, the pilots negotiations could lead other US Airways work groups to agree to bargain, too

PITTSBURGH (Tribune-Review) - Leaders of US Airways pilots' union agreed Tuesday to begin bargaining immediately with management over terms of flying new regional jets, which the struggling carrier says are critical to its future.

See Story

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

The Pittsburgh Tribune reported, US Airways ALPA spokesman Captain Jack Stephan said, "US Airways is concerned about financing these jets because the financiers (GE Capital) are concerned about unresolved issues at the airline". "These negotiations are to provide the flexibility for them on the deployment, operation and staffing of these aircraft," he said.

USA320Pilot comments: Who first predicted the RJ problem on this message board and the ALPA reaction? Who first predicted the IAM-M would lose the appellate court ruling and suggested the mechanics negotiate a deal before the union lost its leverage with an adverse court decision?

The Pittsburgh Tribune reported, if negotiators can reach a tentative agreement with management, the pilots union governing body would decide whether to endorse the pact. Then, union members would have to cast ratification votes. The entire process will take between one and two months.

USA320Pilot comments: That's not totally correct. After a tentative agreement is reached, electronic balloting can be done in about one week.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

"USA320Pilot comments: Who first predicted the RJ problem on this message board and the ALPA reaction? Who first predicted the IAM-M would lose the appellate court ruling and suggested the mechanics negotiate a deal before the union lost its leverage with an adverse court decision?"

And who would have predicted that the same person would be on here answering his own posts? <_<

USA320Pilot said:
Who first predicted the IAM-M would lose the appellate court ruling and suggested the mechanics negotiate a deal before the union lost its leverage with an adverse court decision?
Get back into your own fight.

This decision is not as meaningful as you, your informed sources, or the media thinks, because:

(1) It does not change the fact the IAM has stronger language on their side when/if it goes to arbitration that work is contractually theirs.

(2) Previous decisions (Airmotive for one), dictate the company may not sell assets just to escape a contractual obligation under a CBA

(3) The IAM can still go to the entire circuit (IMO, the 9 Wisemen in DC are unlikely to look into this matter).

(4) When/If the arbitrator rules in the IAMs favor, the company will have to pay a grievance to the union for aircraft 700 and any other Airbus work that is done, hurting the company more financially when it can ill afford additional cash expenditures.

Maybe since the EMB170 is not yet ceritfied, they can get Embraer to filing paperwork to certify it as the EMB 168 with 68 seats, give them all to Mesa, and say that aircraft type is not specifically addressed in the contract, so we can sub the flying out. I am sure you'll be all over that one. As always, if it doesn't cost you that fourth stripe on your shoulder, it is okay.

So, once again in an effort to protect the senior pilots, the MEC of USAir will sell out the junior guys and cave in on the E-170. Nice.

michael707767 said:
So, once again in an effort to protect the senior pilots, the MEC of USAir will sell out the junior guys and cave in on the E-170. Nice.
Exactly. The current MEC would sell their mother to keep their seat.

The way I see it, they have 25 days to get this done, since come 3/1, I don't see the future MEC giving the company a dime.

So what does this mean? MidAtlantic, and all of the furloughed folks will be sold down the river in favor of contracting again? :angry:

Light,

I claim no "inside sources", but my take is that PSA may not be getting as many CRJ-700's as they thought. Whether the MEC will cave on the E-170's staying at MDA is another question.

What I find fascinating is that the MDA contract is being negotiated (away?) by a MEC that any MDA pilots had no voice in electing since they were furloughed.

Of course, equally fascinating is the company getting the FAA to reduce training for the MDA pilots by claiming that they are not new hires, then insisting that for contract purposes the MDA pilots are new hires.

Jim

Back