Regional Elite Ground Handling Shutting Down

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]You were also eligible for a one-time, lump sum amount of money to be used for insurance premiums. Retirees will pay full COBRA rates. Depending on your age, the payout ranges from 30k-120k. The younger you are, the higher the amount, since the gap between now and becoming eligible for Medicare is longer.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that many at ORD would qualify for the highest amounts in each category. There's lots of seniority there, especially on the NW side...

The insurance piece is funded via the government. DL applied for/received $29M to fund it, IIRC.

We will receive another pay increase come 1/1/13. IMO, it's testament to the momentum of each group's card drives that his is occurring. The company knows it's both cheaper and effective to throw $$$ at the masses. The pay restoration is a step in the right direction; I certainly have no issue with it. My main reasons for continuing to be a labor activist here are the lack of scope, and consistently inconsistent way policies and procedures are applied. Not sure about any other newly announced enhancements.

When determining base rates, DL uses what they consider to be an "industry standard" amongst peer airlines. That might be okay too, except the carriers they pick/exclude don't always match that. [/background]
a couple questions and comments.

I know several people who are taking the package as well.... it has succeeded at moving people who were sitting on the fence... DL moved ENORMOUS numbers of people off the payroll in the early 2000s with subsidized health care coverage. This accomplished much of the same thing. I'm not sure if AA is using the government subsidies at all - not sure if you do - but there is enormous uncertainty w/ health care coverage for Americans and any certainty will be welcome.

Isn't the pay raise in January largely - if not entirely funded by a rollback of profit sharing?

DL has thrown a lot of money at labor to "buy" labor peace - indications are that UA pilot's euphory about a new contract that was rumored to be comparable to DL's is fleeting as the details that UA is willing to sign up for aren't as rich as what UA/CO ALPA thought they would get.

What airlines would you like to include in DL's competitive set that aren't there now, esp. w/ regard to scope? Aren't we seeing WN move toward contract ramp in some cities such as Branson which was just announced. It is highly doubtful that WN will remain as in-house on the ramp as it has been.

I have long believed that DL employees have benefitted from the threat of unionization without having to pay the union dues - in part by riding on the coattails of the DL pilots (even grasping just a small corner of the coat) and partially in staying above the competition.

thanks Kev3188,
what is the top out pay right now? BTW, many from NW took this buyout in ORD. I want to say maybe 50 employees.

regards,

Current base rate works out to $22.06/hr. The January increase will bring it to $23.16/hr. Crew Chief override is $1.59/hr. Shift differential is between .45- .52/hr., depending on your start time. 11.5 year scale, with huge disparities in the middle steps for those hired post '09...

50 people?! Wow. I figured there'd be a bunch, but...

I know several people who are taking the package as well.... it has succeeded at moving people who were sitting on the fence...

Not as many as they were expecting, though...

DL moved ENORMOUS numbers of people off the payroll in the early 2000s with subsidized health care coverage. This accomplished much of the same thing. I'm not sure if AA is using the government subsidies at all - not sure if you do - but there is enormous uncertainty w/ health care coverage for Americans and any certainty will be welcome.

I no longer have medical benefits through the airline.

Isn't the pay raise in January largely - if not entirely funded by a rollback of profit sharing?

Yep.

DL has thrown a lot of money at labor to "buy" labor peace

Yes they have. Too bad most of it has been mooted by people in mgmt. positions that really are in above their heads.

What airlines would you like to include in DL's competitive set that aren't there now, esp. w/ regard to scope? Aren't we seeing WN move toward contract ramp in some cities such as Branson which was just announced. It is highly doubtful that WN will remain as in-house on the ramp as it has been.

WN's scope is good; certainly better than DL's, which obviously has none.

I have long believed that DL employees have benefitted from the threat of unionization without having to pay the union dues - in part by riding on the coattails of the DL pilots (even grasping just a small corner of the coat) and partially in staying above the competition.

Gross.

Why should the "world's best airline" rely on OAL employees to do the heavy lifting? It'd be nice for us to set the pace for once. As for everyone else getting what the pilots get, that's a myth; all one needs to do is compare what they just negotiated with what everyone else gets- especially IFS.

I no longer have medical benefits through the airline.

Excellent! Congratulations, Kev. Hope you are getting better coverage and service.
Presumably your better half works for a company that recognizes the value of good health care coverage – based on the local market – than a multi-national company.

I have long believed that DL and other companies should give you credit for opting out of their health care coverage –cafeteria style - but I’m also presuming that didn’t happen.

Why should the "world's best airline" rely on OAL employees to do the heavy lifting? It'd be nice for us to set the pace for once. As for everyone else getting what the pilots get, that's a myth; all one needs to do is compare what they just negotiated with what everyone else gets- especially IFS.
I can’t argue with your point… other than in a free market, sometimes the “push” comes from a competitor.

I guess you are aware that DL is testing automated boarding machines :angry2: to keep up w/ its European counterparts… any word on similar technology for the ramp?

It's existed for a while now, but has never really caught on...

RS_clip_boom_bags_cmyk_noBG_760x580.jpg

I've seen the automated boarding in use at JAL. Still requires an agent to monitor, but hey, someone finally figured out that self-scanning isn't rocket science, especially with a tech-savvy customer base. The stuff they're done with NFC is downright cool. Even allows you to pass thru the security checkpoint without having to present or your BP.

I have used NH's automated boarding gates in Japan right alongside JL's - perhaps it is common use equipment and both airlines used the same thing?

NH had staff monitoring each lane of the boarding process - but with 3 or 4 boarding lanes and 2 jetways they boarded a 773 w/ 500 passengers in about 20 minutes.

The stadium where I watch soccer games as a season ticket holder uses a similar system - also monitored at each lane - but if high-energy soccer fans, some of whom are already partially inebriated - can figure out how to use the automated boarding lanes, I'm sure 98% of airline passengers can manage as well.

How technology is used is far more significant... for NH, the primary purpose of their automated boarding lanes seems to be efficiency and accurate flow of data. You use the same boarding card at the beginning of the security checkpoint line and then one more time as you put your materials through the x-ray machines. Undoubtedly a security move, but also one that allows the airline to know exactly where every passenger is in the departure process. Important to help get the right bags and passengers on the right airplane with a high degree of accuracy.

In contrast, the Kroger company, one of the world's largest grocers, has perfected automated checkout lanes in many locations that allow a single employee to monitor 6 automated checkout lanes and make whatever attendant inputs are necessary from a handheld, wireless device that gives the freedom to that one person to move throughout the area. Five unionized cashier jobs were lost - along w/ whatever baggers those lanes had as full-service lanes. And some of those self-service lanes have the ability to handle a full basket load of groceries - far more than the original designs.

I don't know how DL will use their self-service lanes if/when they open - but I'm sure it will result in fewer heads, although the boarding process can't be totally automated - and I'm sure it is not DL's intention to try.

As for the Ramp Snake, part of the lack of success may be due to the fact that it appears to me that it doesn't do much to reduce headcount - looks like it needs a person on both ends of the system anyway.

continuing to the discussion above about scope, if we may.

Scope is and will always be an issue for airline employees. I appreciate that Kev has long recognized it and holds it as an issue. Without people looking - and speaking, there is little incentive to not slowly take away what protection one has.

But scope seems to be composed of two components - correct me if I am wrong - any of you: protecting the jobs of those employees who currently do that work and future jobs that could be lost if the work is not retained.

It appears to me that DL does a good job now (post 7.5) of the former w/ little regard for the 2nd half.

The pilots say that DL has probably carried about 1000 too many pilots for the last several years - in part to not rock the boat. I am sure there is a certain amount of that occurring in other parts of the company, as evidenced by the fact they can remove a couple thousand people via voluntary packages and not replace them. (although I concur that the chances of those jobs being replaced in the future as FT jobs are slim to none). Some estimates are that DL can staff the 717 fleet with the excess pilots - part of the reason the deal makes financial sense.

Add in that DL has taken an approach to protect jobs of its own employees while forcing cuts on its regional carrier partners, and there is a different treatment of DL and DCI people.
Outsourced labor at most companies is not treated the same as in-house labor.

Some work groups at some companies need scope protection or people WILL lose their jobs. I'm not sure that true at DL today, esp. comapred to at other airlines. OTOH, DL is reducing the number of FT jobs in the future - and that is most definitely a part of their focus to reduce costs.

Others may agree or disagree...

Ramp snake is nothing more than a novelty in my opinion. It's been around for the past 10 years, but hasn't really caught on outside of a few hubs in Europe.

I've seen it in use shipside, and didn't find it to be much more effective than a sliding carpet. Where it does have an advantage is that there's not a payload hit like you have with the carpet. But the carpet goes where the airplane does, and having a Snake in every airport gets really expensive quickly.

Josh,
although your question presents an answer that would be a matter of opinion, we already know that the IAM encourages RR. At Hawaiian airlines, the IAM entered into an agreement with Hawaiian airlines to bring RR to Hawaiian under the following conditions:
1. No benefits other than flight travel
2. $10 top out
3. RR would not be included under the regular part time cap of 45% part time
4. Have to pay full union dues.

The mutual agreement benefited management with the increased flexibility and it benefited the collective bargaining agent with the increase in dues. My assumption is that a similar arrangement would be at DL.

regards,

Interesting thanks for sharing Tim. I didn't know about this but I can't say I'm surprised. Didn't the IAM produce YouTube videos centered around a theme of "Ready Reserve Airline" leading upto the election? Going to search for the link I know it's out there. #4 isn't surprising, all the IAM and other unions want is more dues paying members they'd sell everyone out just to preserve jobs to collect dues. Bob has posted about this too, he thinks the standard of living and benefits should be preserved and people should get furloughed and ultimately recalled when staffing needs change. How many members has the IAM shed since 2007?

Josh

Or perhaps AS said the option was to outsource it all in which case the IAM loses everything.

AS is on the upper end of the industry in terms of profitability and customer service. They cannot be accused of being clueless.

While labor unions often insist on preserving FUTURE jobs and in the process kill CURRENT JOBS, the IAM might have been smart enough to realize that preserving what they have w/ respect to full-time current jobs makes more sense than losing what they do have.

That is not chasing dues revenue. It is living pragmatically and giving the company the flexibility to succeed.

It is also the system philosophy that DL uses with RRs and DGS mechanics. The option w/o that flexibility would probably be to outsource all of the work - at the expense of current jobs.

Ready Reserve:

Starts at 11.07/hr.
Tops out at 11.27/hr. after 1 year (goes to 11.75/hr. eff. 1/1/13)

No benefits at all, save pass travel.

REAS and/or DGS:

IIRC, it starts at $8.50/hr. Not sure what it tops out at.

For as much as you dislike ready reserve at DL, it looks like UCH compensates their part time sUA workers similarly under an IAM contract. Not only that but it looks like at some stations UA even cross utilizes ramp and customer service employees, does DL to this practice? I know you place a high value on having a contract and union representation but it doesn't appear the terms UA is offering, negotiated by the IAM are really any better. Although they do get medical, dental, and life insurance benefits its not clear how much those benefits cost

Customer Service Representative - Line Station/Ramp Duties - Part-time - Raleigh / Durham, NC (Airport Operations)-RDU00000013-SR

Description

Now taking off: Your career.

Where do you want your career to take you? Chances are, you can get there with United Airlines. Our environment is open, honest, and focused on your success. So choose a career path. And rediscover what it's like to enjoy your job.

Customer Service Representative - RDU
Raleigh / Durham, NC
Starting Salary: $10.09 per hour

Equal Opportunity Employer by Choice.

Invitations to interview may be sent via email. Please be sure to check your mailbox frequently and ensure that communications from Taleo.net are not blocked.

Travel subject to service charges/restrictions. Bonuses awarded only under terms of United's policies.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE

Please note that this position will be hired under the subsidiary United Airlines collective bargaining agreement or divisional work rules until a joint agreement or combined divisional work rules are obtained.
Overview

The customer service representative (CSR) acts as the main customer contact at an airport and will be responsible for assignments that may consist of work in the following areas: ticket counter, lobby, gate, baggage services, international departures and arrivals, air freight, ramp and cabin service, automated check-in-control, operations center, premium services, red carpet room and customer assistance. Permanent employees are eligible for medical, dental and life insurance benefits, as well as flight benefits on the first day of employment.

Responsibilities:
  • Receiving/delivering air freight shipment weights/dimensions
  • Loading/stowing & unloading mail/cargo/baggage from conveyor belts, carts, trucks and aircraft
  • Work in the baggage arrival and Lost and Found areas and be required to lift items up to 70 pounds
  • Performing various aircraft servicing duties: cleaning windshields, fueling & de-icing functions
  • Receiving aircraft and operating passenger loading bridges
  • Perform aircraft weight.balance calculations, crew dispatching, passenger/ramp planning & related station operations control tasks
  • Assisting customers with quoting fares/schedules
  • Making reservations
  • Issuing tickets
  • Baggage check-in
  • Helping with flight check-in/boarding
  • Resolving customer concerns
To accommodate the airport's operations, a wide variety of work shifts are required. Schedules may be bid several times during the year and are awarded according to seniority. The workweek consists of 5 days with two consecutive days off. Days off may rotate weekly or monthly.

Qualifications
Education:
  • Must have a high school diploma/GED or equivalent
Skills:
  • Valid state driver's license, a good driving record and be at least 18 years old
  • Dependable and the ability to work entire assigned shift as well as ability to work all types of shifts, including nights, weekends and holidays
  • Strong communication skills
  • Great conflict-resolution skills
  • Courteous, caring and respectful
  • Excellent typing ability
To accommodate the airport's operations, a wide variety of work shifts are required. Schedules for this assignment will be bid in training. Part-time schedules are normally four to six hours per day, 16 to 30 hours per week. The workweek consists of five days with two consecutive days off. Days off may rotate weekly or monthly.

Starting salary is $10.09 per hour. New employees are required to join the union within 90 days of employment. United is an equal opportunity employer: M/F/D/V
Click here to view a video describing the job duties of a Line Station CSR with Ramp responsibilities

Job
Customer Service

Primary Location
United States-NC-RDU - Raleigh / Durham

Organization
United Airlines / Continental Airlines

Schedule
Part-time

Job Posting
09/03/2012

Josh

Josh, did you miss the NO BENEFITS part? Over my working life I have worked my share of jobs, and benefits have always been an option. You can pay a lot more if not offering them, but those extra wages can vaporize the second you have any medical issues. If your going to slam unions and their wages, try to at least make a fair comparison.

Josh, did you miss the NO BENEFITS part? Over my working life I have worked my share of jobs, and benefits have always been an option. You can pay a lot more if not offering them, but those extra wages can vaporize the second you have any medical issues. If your going to slam unions and their wages, try to at least make a fair comparison.

The job description did not have any details on the benefits, it simply said "medical, dental, and life insurance" but at what cost is unclear. I'm not slamming the union, I'm just sharing an example that what DL is providing is not too far out of line. Factor in the IAM dues the workers will pay too. Also, why would a union want a company to cross utilize workers in ramp and customer service? Makes perfect sense but they are two entirely different job functions. Must only be done at smaller stations, doubt UA does this at DEN, IAD, ORD, etc. I don't even think they do it at BOS but I could be wrong.

Josh

Josh--

I actually have no problem w/cross utilization in small cities-especially if the alternative is outsourcing. DL does not cross utilize, but NW did fairly extensively.

As for the UA payscale, the starting wage is similar to DL's. The difference is the the UA employee will progress up the scale; the Ready Reserve will not...

Josh--

I actually have no problem w/cross utilization in small cities-especially if the alternative is outsourcing. DL does not cross utilize, but NW did fairly extensively.

As for the UA payscale, the starting wage is similar to DL's. The difference is the the UA employee will progress up the scale; the Ready Reserve will not...

Does anyone know what the benefits at UA cost? I'm curious to know, would it say in the UA IAM CBA?

Josh

DL used to have some ACS small station personnel work both above and below wing as well.... but found - as I believe you have attested to - that few people are really proficient in both areas and have an equal desire to work in both areas.

DL does allow free movement between AW and BW in stations where DL has both - and also DOES allow movement to other areas of the company.

which means it is all about expectations.
If RR personnel at DL understand the chances of being promoted to FT are not great, then they should approach the job w/ that expectation.

Same thing applies to benefits. Many workers in the US work w/ little to no benefits - for some because they receive benefits elsewhere and for some because working for a salary w/o benefits is more important than not working at all.

You and others continue to have expectations of moving from a new hire PT employee to a FT, career employee over time when it is clear that most airlines do not intend to create a long-term career.

Back