PHX-FRA And PHL-TLV?

cut them some slack...they were an international carrier--they flew to mexico and canada...apparently, when the globe was moved from ccy to tempe, they just sat around and stared at it for days in wonderment.
don't forget hawaii, us1! come on now, credit where credit is due... :lol:

What do you mean by too much airplane?

Too many seats?

AC puts 3 fewer seats on on their A345s than their A333s, FWIW.

I agree. Depending on the model, the 340 and 330 can outsize each other.

But I'm certain management looks at the 340 as "too much" airplane in the sense that a 4-engine airplane is inherently much more expensive to operate than a 2-engine airplane, even if the fuel usage is neutral between the two. Having 4 engines complicates things from the time the blueprints are drawn up until the airplane goes under The Blade in the deserts of Arizona.

Each engine is a huge expense to maintain. When you opt for a 4- vs. 2-engine version, you've basically doubled this huge overhead, and appreciably upped your CASM on any route served by that model airplane.

It will be interesting to see what, if anything comes from this. I thought Doug said a few days ago we weren't looking at international expansion, other than two or three new European cities per year. Now, we are trying to get to China and Israel? Phx-Fra non stop would be great too.
He was in a daze due to recent events.

HP, as you may recall, was a small regional carrier with very little capital and extremely limited means with which to raise it. What aircraft should have been used to reach the same destinations as those other carriers from PHX and LAS? The A320?

Um, let me guess, here. ETOPS 757, the same a/c AA flys to SA? Or, are you simply being duplicitous?

The difference, of course, is that the majority of the Asian carriers flying into LAS are carrying Destination, not Origination passengers. There aren't enough local LAS passengers, nor feed from the Midwest, to fill a LAS flight to Asia. Likewise, Koreans aren't going to fly America West from Korea when the alternate choice is Korean Airlines.

Same situation w/ BA to PHX. Those planes are nearly full of British citizens coming to PHX, not the other way around.

Someone needs to "gong" you.

I am certain the sandbox rationalizes their bad decisions that way but in reality, Koreans, as well as the rest of the world, make their decisions on cost/service ratios. HPs has always stunk and unless the pax were trapped into a "package" deal, most would always go elsewhere. Perhaps the "sandbox" might _start_ thinking of "trapping" Koreans. :)

The trailer park mentality will survive as long as employees keep buying into the propaganda. When the employees start demanding real management, then USAirways _might_ become a factor. Until that happens cheap beer is always available.

Air Canada has approached US Airways to see if the Tempe-based airline would be interested in acquiring A340s from the Canadian-based company.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

The Tempe-based airline is also in contract negotiations with its pilots. Expect to see all kinds of aircraft dangled in front of them in the hope they'll take the bait and get hooked into yet another concessionary contract.

It worked before.

The A340 is a great for for PHL-ATH and PHL-TLV. Yes the company would like to fly to TLV and two other destinations next summer. Don't look for anything other than a PHX-FRA or PHX-LHR or LGW in the short term. PHX is not an international powerhouse.

The Tempe-based airline is also in contract negotiations with its pilots. Expect to see all kinds of aircraft dangled in front of them in the hope they'll take the bait and get hooked into yet another concessionary contract.

It worked before.

...And it looks like it's working again already.

From another web board:

Dear Fellow Pilot,

There is no pilot more supportive of our MEC and JNC's efforts to land us the best possible contract, although, as I have said before I see a big benefit in not obtaining a new contract. The purpose of this post is not to debate this issue again, but the list of benefits appears to be growing by not obtaining a new deal to our contract is amendable. Here are the benefits:

- Potential international service from to China

- Other new long range destinations from PHL

- US Airways East A340/B777s East pilot bid positions

- The ability to maintain East DOH for about 4 year's

- The ability capturing all of the attrition-based carrier expectation

- Capture all of the EMB-190 flying

- Increased recalls for East flying positions to cover new widebody/EMB-190 growth because no West pilot could bid east

Therefore, I continue to remain unsure if a new contract is in our best interests.

Nonetheless, is it me or does anybody else agree that the WAR report is an unprofessional term and makes us look like a second class union? I have a strong feeling that we are getting less sympathy from outside constituents because the acronym WAR makes us look like thugs and an unprofessional Association.

Regards,

XXXX [USA320Pilot's real name]

The A340 is a great for for PHL-ATH and PHL-TLV. Yes the company would like to fly to TLV and two other destinations next summer. Don't look for anything other than a PHX-FRA or PHX-LHR or LGW in the short term. PHX is not an international powerhouse.

When did we score LHR rights??? :rolleyes:

Honey, how many times have I told you I'm junior... I'm stuck on the Mumbai route.
please, I haven't even started my 10th yet. What position do you want? Meals or drinks... :lol: Oh wait were gonna have the A380....do you want upstairs or downstairs. :lol:

Back