More layoffs are coming. Now it's GIG and GRU

missing link

Jan 20, 2008
Employees at GIG were told yesterday during a meeting with US Airways representatives that all flights from CLT to GIG and GRU will be transferred to MIA by January 2015 and will be operated by American Airlines and all employees at both Brazilian stations will be laid off. 

They were given the choice to apply to AA and start a new career. 

This mega merger is showing its face sooner than expected.

Looks like those employees should collect those Blue "Let US compete TOGETHER" braclets, and mail them back to DFW, with a Thanks for Nothing message.  

No cuts in CLT due to one flight, airlines cut flights all the time, and US is going to grow CLT from 650 flights to over 700, did you skip that part of the article?

Parker and both Kirby stated so in the last earning call.

Parker and Kirby will not lie to Wall Street, and PHL-TLV wont get moved, and there is a reason why no one flies MIA-TLV, as its not profitable.

I live in MIA go to Aventura, Hallandale, Sunny Isles huge Israeli community (not just Jews) it would be profitable LY simply doesn't have suitable aircraft and was barred from resuming the route due to category II status. MIA-TLV will happen its not a question of if but when.

Josh

737823 said:
I live in MIA go to Aventura, Hallandale, Sunny Isles huge Israeli community (not just Jews) it would be profitable LY simply doesn't have suitable aircraft and was barred from resuming the route due to category II status. MIA-TLV will happen its not a question of if but when.

Josh

El Al flew and pulled out of the route, because they didnt make money, they have 777s which could fly it and if they wanted to they could lease or buy a plane to fly the route, but they dont.

If it was a great route, you would have carriers flying it.

El AL cut the flight in 2008, its six years later and no one is flying it.

And your wrong there, they can resume the flight, they got their higher rating back:

Jan. 30, 2013, 3:27 p.m. EST
El Al to resume American Airlines partnership
By Doug Cameron
El Al Israel Airlines Ltd. plans to resume its partnership with American Airlines in March, a move allowed by Israel regaining its top-tier aviation-safety rating from U.S. regulators last November.

They got their rating back in November of 2012.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/el-al-to-resume-american-airlines-partnership-2013-01-30

Dont let the facts get in your way.

I knew that, LY does not have suitable aircraft available to reopen MIA that is why it hasn't happened, why do you care?

Josh

737823 said:
MIA makes much more sense than CLT, hopefully TLV gets moved from PHL.

Josh

You are the one who brought it up.

They could have bought or leased a plane to fly the route if they wanted too.

And you said they lost their rating, I pointed out they have had it back for over a year.

And you are the one who refused to fly US from PHL-TLV and started a thread about it last year.

http://www.airlineforums.com/topic/53204-what-to-expect-usair-phl-tlv/?hl=%20tel%20%20aviv

Taking a trip to Israel this summer and am considering taking US BOS-PHL-TLV. People seem to be raving about the new Envoy seat and I'm beginning to consider giving it a try. For some background, I've flown Continental and El Al before from EWR and JFK and have been fairly satisfied with both of their business class products. The attraction to US is having direct aisle access and not being disturbed by a seatmate due to the 1-2-1 configuration. How is the in-flight catering? Is it on par with UA Chelsea catering from EWR or El Al? Secondly how are the FAs? I know this is the longest route in the US system and likely a coveted route for senior FAs. I don't want to be stuck with senior disgruntled FAs for a 12 hour flight. US fares BOS-PHL-TLV are about $1000 cheaper than UA BOS-EWR-TLV for my dates and there must be a reason.

Also considering redeeming CO miles to fly Lufthansa or SWISS first class through Frankfurt or Zurich, respectively. Perhaps the cold but professional service on Lufthansa or SWISS will be better than senior USAir FAs.

Any suggestions?

Josh

You sure know how to make friends!

737823 said:
Makes sense, no one in their right mind would fly US to FRA when there are two flights on LH. Similarly, AA to LHR is on its last legs, the morning flight is being cut. I guess when given a 777 or 744 on BA people don't want AA's trAAshy 757.

Josh
You just love to bash:

737823 said:
Taken DL before on the 777-200LR from ATL, that flight has since ended don't want to fly on an antiquated 747 with PM-NW crews from JFK.

Josh

737823 said:
True but while the JFK-TLV route may be scheduled for a refurbished 744 they do swap aircraft and I don't want to be stuck with the old product. Don't get me wrong, I'd usual take non-union DL (I realize the pilots and dispatchers are union, no need to attack me) any day over US but I don't want the old seat or the surly disgruntled PM-NW FAs that I avoid like the plague. From ATL I was guaranteed 777-200LR and non-union ATL based PM-DL crews. While AFA may now be decertified and integrated the FAs are still around.

Josh

737823 said:
Yep, I know but I answered etops1 why I didn't want to take DL given the possibility of an antiquated aircraft with surly and disgruntled PM-NW crews. Assume most things from JFK are largely staffed with PM-DL crews, although everything has since been integrated so who knows.

Yep, I know the European airlines are unionzed too. So is Southwest, Cathay Pacific, El Al, Singapore Airlines and many other airlines I've flown that I didn't list. The difference is the carriers I listed above do not allow employees to be unprofessional in the presence of customers and for the most part provide consistently good customer service (except El Al perhaps). I had great service in LX F from union FAs, same on LH and BA. Not sure why the US based unions and employees can't get their act together and realize the customers who pay their salaries aren't the enemy nor is management.

Great, you've proved you can't/neglected to read my post. I said the route is scheduled for a refurbished 744, although substitions do happen. Still possible on US, UA, BA, LY, etc it does happen. On US as you've posted and is indicated on the Envoy website all 330s have the new product so its more likely and near certainty my flight will have the Envoy Suite.

Josh

You are the one who brought it up.

They could have bought or leased a plane to fly the route if they wanted too.

And you said they lost their rating, I pointed out they have had it back for over a year.

And you are the one who refused to fly US from PHL-TLV and started a thread about it last year.

.............References not included .....................

You sure know how to make friends!

You just love to bash:
Beautiful !!
Old AA MIA Fan Boys have been wrong about this merger from Day 1.

CLT-GIG is a money loser on an A330. It also takes two aircraft to service the route. The 767s won't be around forever and there are much better places to deploy an A330 than GIG. The last A330 delivery is in May...there are no more on order until the A350s come on line in 2017. I have flown GIG and will not miss it in the least. I hate people losing their jobs but I haven't seen a merger where it didn't happen to some degree and it seems that Parker and crew are getting their house in order right away. I heard rumors months ago that the route would move to MIA.

zethya said:
Beautiful !!
Old AA MIA Fan Boys have been wrong about this merger from Day 1.
CLT is profitable under the USAIR low revenue, low cost model. Miami is a premier global destination and gateway to Latin America, Charlotte not so much. There will be adjustments to CLT post merger.

Josh

Latest posts

Back