Jetblue Is Rooting For Us Airways

EyeInTheSky

Veteran
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
"I've said this for a long time and its kind of an odd thing for a competitor to say. But I'd really like US Airways to stick around for awhile. I don't think it will help our business necessarily or it could help our busines Right now we like the status quo. We like them in the business right now. We're kind of rooting for them a little bit. " Jeff Neeleman, CEO JetBlue on this mornings CNBC Squawk Box.

This smells kinda fishy. My take, Neelman wants US's BOS, LGA, PHL and DCA ops before WN gets them.

USFlyer said:
This smells kinda fishy. My take, Neelman wants US's BOS, LGA, PHL and DCA ops before WN gets them.
[post="179419"][/post]​

Well, Gordo enraged a lot of UA passengers (including me) with some of the comments he made. I swore I would not set foot on a CO plane as a result. He may just be smarter. Why say something bad and piss off customers or employees. It wont effect anything so he gains nothing. If US does liquidate it maybe helps him get good employees and customers. He would have to be a complete fool to say anything differently the more I think about it. And he is far from a fool.

Perhaps Neelman is saying this for two reasons: 1) to save face and be diplomatic and 2) as long as US is around, Jet Blue (B6) fares will always be the cheaper alternative. With no US around, the marketplace in the North East corridor will be flooded with LCC's which means a more competitive marketplace for the likes of B6.

Just my theory...

FA4UA

I am sure there is some "self-serving" reasons for his comments. Nevertheless, instead of being morose like US Airways management, his comments are refreshing.

EyeInTheSky said:
"I've said this for a long time and its kind of an odd thing for a competitor to say. But I'd really like US Airways to stick around for awhile. I don't think it will help our business necessarily or it could help our busines Right now we like the status quo. We like them in the business right now. We're kind of rooting for them a little bit. " Jeff Neeleman, CEO JetBlue on this mornings CNBC Squawk Box.
[post="179398"][/post]​
One thing is a fact: Blue hires tons of U mechanics already trained on the bus and that obviously eliminates their training costs big time so U sticking around actually saves them money in that small example.

In what cities do we hire anyone from U? (Just curious)

cavalier said:
One thing is a fact: Blue hires tons of U mechanics already trained on the bus and that obviously eliminates their training costs big time so U sticking around actually saves them money in that small example.
[post="179454"][/post]​

Cav, that is true and they are also taking a lot of pilots from Mid Atlantic. Hence, this is why the company wants to impose training costs on any pilot that leaves Mid Atlantic within two years of employment. Why not just pay people a livable salary and they won't have to leave. I mean talk about "DUH!"

downline7, I think all the mechanics hired from US Airways have gone straight to JFK. That's all I know.

EyeInTheSky said:
Cav, that is true and they are also taking a lot of pilots from Mid Atlantic. Hence, this is why the company wants to impose training costs on any pilot that leaves Mid Atlantic within two years of employment. Why not just pay people a livable salary and they won't have to leave. I mean talk about "DUH!"
[post="179460"][/post]​

Are you sure about this? I haven't heard of an exodux from MDA to jB on the pilot front... wouldn't that be kind of stupid to hire from MDA for Embraer pilots when they won't even begin taking delivery of those jets until, at the earliest, mid 2005? I think U is just being preemptive in the pilot training cost initiative. I don't see where many, if any, MDA pilots have gone over to jB, but if so, I would venture to say their jB applications were probably already being processed and MDA just came through sooner (knowing that it takes months after submission of your online application just to get even get a phone call (or rejection postcard) from jB).

cavalier said:
[post="179454"][/post]​

I dont understand then. If we hire someone, be it from U or another 320 operator, how does that save us money at all? If U is in business or not, someone is still qualified and still trained on the bus. So what difference does it make and how does U staying in business save us money in that respect?

a little OT .....

Yes, DN's quote is somewhat self serving. If U were to go out of business, we wouldnt have the aircraft to swoop in and cherry pick all that we want (e.g. LGA slots, DCA slots). So if U went out of business quickly, other would get what he wants and thats the basis of his comments.

However with DN ya never know, a good portion of that quote is probably genuine.

DCAflyer, yes, I am sure about this. Think about it: Why would the company impose training costs unless it wasn't getting its full investment back? Clearly, for them to change policy shows it's a big problem. Often times when you get in a MDA plane these days there are two Captains up front because F/Os are bailing to other carriers that offer a better salary.

downline7 said:
I dont understand then. If we hire someone, be it from U or another 320 operator, how does that save us money at all? If U is in business or not, someone is still qualified and still trained on the bus. So what difference does it make and how does U staying in business save us money in that respect?

downline7, JetBlue is gaining the best mechanics in the industry with extensive knowledge of the Airbus Aircraft. That's a huge asset. After drinking the blue water at JetBlue indoc, these folks are able to jump right in.

Eye in the Sky,

"Bailing" is not the term I would use for the pilots that have left MAA. We have approx. 200 pilots and have lost approx. 20 in the last year. Some went to B6, some to FL, some decided thay could not survive on $38/hr., and some reached the mandatory retirement age.

The reason you see two Captains working flights is twofold. We are expanding and with expansion comes the added training of getting pilots checked out. If you come to MAA as a furloughed mainline pilot you will be qualified as an FO and Capt. All the pilots giving this training are Captains. The other reason you will see two Captains up front is because we are short FO's.

Personally I can't wait to bail out of this pig. B6 will be looking for qualified instructors on the ERJ170 sometime around the first of the year. Myself included, I only know 20 people in the world who are qualified to teach in the ERJ170 simulator and qualified to teach out on the line. Supply and demand is a beautiful thing when I have the supply and I am the man.

4lowed

Back