Is It A Good Thing Labor Kept Usair A Float?

Is it a good thing labor kept USAir a float?

• Yes, long term it will be worth it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I can't work for LCC pay & working conditions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

UseYourHead

Veteran
Apr 1, 2003
So the day has come that a new chapter begins for all of the US Airways (and AWA) who hung in there through these terrible times!

The reason we are here today to see this merger happen is the sacrifice that labor has made numerous times, even in the face of mis-management and reason to doubt. I know for me, I felt that if this place was to stay afloat, it would be on our backs for a time.

Many here said it didn't matter what we did, were toast. They said we were scared, cowards, we should fall on our sword for the rest of the industry and so on. I always maintained that the people were courage were the ones who could make a very tough choice and vote yes for each of our consessionary contracts. I also stated repeatedly that the just say no folks were cowards, and that was the easy way out. I continue to maintain that today.

Are those of you that were NO voters happy that enough folks had the courage to do the right thing and vote yes (and at this point it is a tough road to go down to whine that we would have been better to just shut it down)?

For this pilot, it is a happy day, and I welcome all the the AWA employees as fellow employees! I will look forward working together with you to build an awesome new airline!

there were many reasons we are still here today labor being a major part. There are many other components that a few on here will never agree to

UseYourHead said:
So the day has come that a new chapter begins for all of the US Airways (and AWA) who hung in there through these terrible times!

The reason we are here today to see this merger happen is the sacrifice that labor has made numerous times, even in the face of mis-management and reason to doubt. I know for me, I felt that if this place was to stay afloat, it would be on our backs for a time.

Many here said it didn't matter what we did, were toast. They said we were scared, cowards, we should fall on our sword for the rest of the industry and so on. I always maintained that the people were courage were the ones who could make a very tough choice and vote yes for each of our consessionary contracts. I also stated repeatedly that the just say no folks were cowards, and that was the easy way out. I continue to maintain that today.

Are those of you that were NO voters happy that enough folks had the courage to do the right thing and vote yes (and at this point it is a tough road to go down to whine that we would have been better to just shut it down)?

For this pilot, it is a happy day, and I welcome all the the AWA employees as fellow employees! I will look forward working together with you to build an awesome new airline!
[post="271125"][/post]​
aw i'm so touched........

Local PIT news is reporting Airbus work returning, but check news headlines with Ace Aviation (Air Canada parent) announcing a five year, $1.5 billion deal for maintenance and other services for their $75 million investment. Doc Bronner and 'bama all over again!

I agree, and I agree! :)

I do believe the bottomline is without labor consessions, you would have been interviewing for jobs...by the way, the same is true for America West. They have been through bankruptcy once or twice and had to suck-it-up to see this day come too.

usfliboi said:
there were many reasons we are still here today labor being a major part. There are many other components that a few on here will never agree  to
[post="271132"][/post]​

Where's that A320 pilot? this has got to be humiliating... I mean, he's not taking over United and US is now the acquired instead of the acquirer.

WorldTraveler said:
Where's that A320 pilot? this has got to be humiliating... I mean, he's not taking over United and US is now the acquired instead of the acquirer.
[post="271221"][/post]​

Planning that move up from a 320 to a 350. :p

You guys hung in there and did what you do best. WTG!!! (now let's just pull United through!)

Fly said:
You guys hung in there and did what you do best. WTG!!! (now let's just pull United through!)
[post="271275"][/post]​

Thanks Fly! United will make it, UAL has too many good things going for it.

airknocker said:
Local PIT news is reporting Airbus work returning, but check news headlines with Ace Aviation (Air Canada parent) announcing a five year, $1.5 billion deal for maintenance and other services for their $75 million investment. Doc Bronner and 'bama all over again!
[post="271136"][/post]​
ACE, through Air Canada Technical Services (ACTS), is entitled to provide all available outsourced maintenance, repair and overhaul services for the merged entity with a combined fleet of 361 aircraft consisting of the Boeing 737, 757 and 767 and the Airbus A319, A320, A321 and A330 for which ACTS has significant existing expertise. This agreement will provide ACTS with a large volume of attractive new MRO work covering component and airframe maintenance. The new work will result in estimated additional revenues of CAD$1.5 billion for ACTS over the five-year term of the agreement. ACTS has the ability to undertake this work with a minimal capital investment of approximately $20 million utilizing capacity currently available at existing ACTS facilities. The agreement also includes the possibility of extending the work to cover engine maintenance and supply chain management.
copping a baad rush off the crytstal ball tonite folks.... :(
outa here

USEYOURHEAD,

I wouldn't be too excited yet. How many planes will be removed from the UAIR fleet?? Isn't employee headcount usually associated with fleet size??

If you think the employees are finished being screwed you have another thing coming <_< .

I wish you luck, just the same.

Signed, a once dedicated X-employee.......free by my own will.

E,

Congrats to you on your change to a different employer!

I am excited becuase this is a step in the right direction (it appears) vs what we have been exposed to for a while now. Yes, there is probably a fair amount of pain ahead, but I consider what is happening a BIG change. I have no doubt this is better than shutting the airline down, or current U management running this thing any longer than we have to put up with.

I hope that it is the first in many positive steps along the way!

Good luck to us all, and good luck with your new position!

E-TRONS said:
USEYOURHEAD,

I wouldn't be too excited yet. How many planes will be removed from the UAIR fleet?? Isn't employee headcount usually associated with fleet size??

If you think the employees are finished being screwed you have another thing coming <_< .

I wish you luck, just the same.

Signed, a once dedicated X-employee.......free by my own will.
[post="271825"][/post]​

Didnt Pan Am and National merge? It worked out well for them I see.

The concessions didnt stop with the merger, in fact they only started. The concessions still werent enough to save Pan Am.

Good luck, you people are dreaming if you think that this will save your careers.

Kind of reminds me of how you guys were praising Seigal, where is he now? Probably home counting what used to be your money!

Thomas Paine said:
Didnt Pan Am and National merge? It worked out well for them I see.

The concessions didnt stop with the merger, in fact they only started. The concessions still werent enough to save Pan Am.

Good luck, you people are dreaming if you think that this will save your careers.

Kind of reminds me of how you guys were praising Seigal, where is he now? Probably home counting what used to be your money!
[post="272175"][/post]​

Tomas Paine you're my kind of guy...a straight shooter.

It's my opinion that anyone left who actually believes things will become rosy after all that has happened throughout the industry and obviously what happened to U and what is coming is totally delusional and in need of severe and imminent help as they are in danger of hurting themselves and anyone around their person. LUV will eat them alive and spit them out. Becoming a new low cost coast to coast airline took LUV 30 plus years to build and now all of a sudden some 43 year old self appointed genius is going do it with a stroke of a pen... :p

Say good night Johnny.............Love Curt

Latest posts

Back