How Will This Effect Us Airways?

Doc said:
I would think that all Dave had to do was watch our wonderful Republican president.
I bet he is just wall papering his house with money he is making on the oil prices.
Does anybody think we went to war just because of WMD I think not. It’s always about the money and those who have a lot get to play the game. Dave should of hedged more fuel... money was tight but he could of done a little more. I think most of just want that little extra effort from our leaders instead of all these blundering mistakes.
Bush and Kerry, Kerry Bush... when you look at that them like this, it's the same thing.

insp89 said:
ITRADE said:
To all the nay sayers out there, keep the following point in mind.

US is about 20% hedged.

Northwest, Continental, and United are ZERO percent hedged.

So, if Dave is a thief, what does that make Anderson or Bethune?
Dave doesn't like comparing U to the other "legacy" carriers, He compares us to the "LCC" carriers.. What percentage is Southwest Hedged ?
As others mentioned it takes a lot of up front cash to hedge.

Moreover, it was clearly the opinion of not an insignificant number of airlines that fuel prices were going to be lowerer than they were in the past several months.

So, hedging was viewed as a significant risk.

IIRC, Southwest is about 75-80% hedged for 1st quarter at between 80 & 85 cents per gallon. A little less hedged for remainder of year. Saw somewhere they're supposed to save up to $240 million due to hedging.

Jim

THANKS Doc, Boeingboy,........I guess fuel hedging is not that big of deal.... Just the difference between a PROFIT or a LOSS !!

part of the bankrupcty process requries all derivative type contracts be concluded.

which includes fuel hedging which you can not do during bankrupcty and if you are already in contracts they are completed. thus upon exit you have 0 hedging just like UAL is right now.

True enough JB, (or is that Neo? ;) ). I think the frustration is U didn't do such a hot job hedging for some time prior to BK.

Back