Hall Beach

Thanks for the replys.

got a little off topic but that would appear to be normal hear ;)

Do all you guys on the east coast know each other? :rolleyes: :shock:

Thanks for the geography lesson CTD ,the closest I've been to that area was Sallult(northern tip of "La Belle" province).

:elvis: :cold: :elvis:

Way back in the Cold War days when DND just couldn't allow mere civilians to support the dew line sites (it's a joke guys, relax) Tac Hel guys used to make the crossing in 212s with two fuel bladders in the back and taking sun shots while flying VFR on top, of course Chinooks did the distance easily. Wow, remember being up there always running short of gas and no Omega, no Loran and certainly no GPS. :( :unsure: That could go with the other post about things we used to do but never killed us.

As for the East coast thing, that's funny, hey CTD I guess youre on the East coast man :p

AAAHHH,
CTD,RDM I wish you both could have been there. Finest conditions I have ever experienced. Nine and a bit weeks and cried when I left.

REALLY I WHISH YOU WERE THERE!!!!

You cried when you left? What happened? did the freight shift and pinch your toes ??

I spent a tour there, or more correctly, about an hour north on Baffin (Fury and Hecla Straights) We'd fly into Igloolik or Hall for a break. After my tour was finished, my flight to Montreal was cancelled, so instead of burning a week of my time-off waiting for the next flight, I hitch-hiked a ride on an old DC-3 to Churchill and Winnipeg.

Did a few tours there myself in the winter time and I must admit the old sphincter muscle got a workout more then I care to admit. Some of the worst conditions I have every flown in and I have flown from coast to coast. Have a good friend who was up there before I was and is still there but he's a newfie so go figure. I guess its what you get used to. I'm flying in the Gulf of Mexico these days and the only thing we have to look out for are Hurricanes. The lesser of Two Evils.
SOB

The Arctic is for pussies, real men fly the Sahara Desert during the Harmatten sand storms...... :up:

And real men come from N.F.L.D. :up:

Chas W. ( Reverend )

CTD

Single pilot in the summer, two-pilot quasi-IFR (night VFR) in winter. Tough job. Long distances, always on the edge of your fuel, long waits, poor wx reporting and forecasting.

Not for the faint of heart.

Now listen to this guy, he did one tour in which him and BR tried to get to Rowley Island and turned back, never to venture outside for the next 3 weeks.

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :up:

tag your it.

Was it Rowley Island? I thought it was Unpronouncable Lake between Longstaff and Dewar. At any rate, I've been trying to forget it.

I knew we shouldn't have left that day - talk about an exercise in stupidity and lousy PDM. Snowstorm on the way, almost no chance of getting home, but 'we' decided to launch anyway because the lads were stuck with a dead machine. It was snowing, dark, 55 miles offshore at 6000' over Foxe Basin with the contrast of the water and broken ice just barely visible through the chin, and we started getting autopilot hardovers. You bet we turned around, on my insistance, and we arrived in Hall Beach shooting an illegal IFR approach on the RadAlt and GPS, and got the runway strobes at 0.8 DME.

One of the stupidest things I've ever done in a helicopter.

I don't think we were there for an additional three weeks, we left a couple days later. You're right, I never went back, but that was because I landed the job at Bell.

So you did a illegal approach, just curious as to what the amount of the fine was. How much did the captain get dinged with, and you must know. I would quess that you helped him pay it.

Cusssssss, I know you would have reported it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :up:

Yup - imagine that. Sadly, it's not the only illegal thing I've done to save my stupid ass. How about you?

You seem to know a lot about the place, why start a thread asking about it? Is there a point to this little exercise, or just trying to have some fun?

Anyone who has not broken the rules because they fu..ed up hasen't flown long enough to learn how to stay alive.

I have never met CTD but I think I'm getting to know him....

Sounds like he has a lot of this business figured out, and I for one would fly with him.

Rev. Chas W.

Back