GIG Service - VISA Issue

beachboy

Veteran
Jul 7, 2006
GIG service was operated with only inflight supervisors and training department personnel today. Had something to do with VISAs. I guess the line flight attendants were pay protected at least? I hope. How long will this last and why has it not been worked out in advance?

GIG service was operated with only inflight supervisors and training department personnel today. Had something to do with VISAs. I guess the line flight attendants were pay protected at least? I hope. How long will this last and why has it not been worked out in advance?

I heard it was only an issue for the first flight out as you have to have a visa to deadhead into the country, and the supervisors were exempt. Don't know if that's true or not.

I heard it was only an issue for the first flight out as you have to have a visa to deadhead into the country, and the supervisors were exempt. Don't know if that's true or not.

That was exactly the reason, PI brat, except the supervisors were not exempt from the visa requirement. They got expedited visas for the trip.

Yes, the crew that was originally supposed to work the flight was pay protected.

This information was given to me from one of the supervisors that is working the inaugural flight back to Charlotte so it comes from a very good source.

That was exactly the reason, PI brat, except the supervisors were not exempt from the visa requirement. They got expedited visas for the trip.

Yes, the crew that was originally supposed to work the flight was pay protected.

This information was given to me from one of the supervisors that is working the inaugural flight back to Charlotte so it comes from a very good source.

Nothing like waiting until the last minute to get this done.

As I always say: (see below)

A working crew member does not need a Brazilian Visa, however, if you are deadheading and not working, you need the Visa. The trips were bought from the f/as and Visas were secured for the supervisors, trainers because they were deadheaded down on Delta a few days earlier to get into position for the inaugural flight. Company didn't want to take chances on sick calls or anything because of the visa issue. I learned this from the LODO who was not mgmt.

Nothing like waiting until the last minute to get this done.

As I always say: (see below)

Nobody waited til the last minute. This was being worked on way in advance. Not a 5 minute deal to obtain a Brazilian Visa. This is what the LODO told me.

What happens if they have to deadhead a crew down at the last min because of something? Say a pilot gets sick or whatever. How long did it take to secure the expedited VISA? I would not want to be on a crew that something odd happened- sounds like I would be stuck for a while waiting on the VISA for the D/H crew from CLT to show up. We thought France was bad...geees.

Brazil seems to be getting bad in legal issues (which I classify this) between them and the US lately. I think they're still pissed about the crash last year (or was it two years ago?) with the Embraer.

If deadheading crewmembers need a visa, do regular passengers also need a visa to travel to Brazil?

If so, is that a reciprocal thing? Not a great way to encourage folks from the U.S. to go down there and spend money. Especially if getting a visa is time consuming and, therefore, a pain.

If deadheading crewmembers need a visa, do regular passengers also need a visa to travel to Brazil?

If so, is that a reciprocal thing? Not a great way to encourage folks from the U.S. to go down there and spend money. Especially if getting a visa is time consuming and, therefore, a pain.

"Most" South American Countries require a Visa for non-citizens. I went to Brazil many years ago and needed one. I went on company business (not airline).

I was under the impression working crewmembers do not need a visa. A "Deadheading" Crewmember is "classified" as a working crewmember, though not actually working the flight, but positioning into place "to work" and the airline provided the proper documentation in the GenDecs. I've deadheaded to many visa-required countries for other airlines working charter and never needed a visa.

I would certainly hope the Braintrust would have worked this out well before the Inaugural Flight. So, I'm sure most of us here are just postulating as to the real cause (or even if it did happen at all :ph34r: )

Funny you should mention this. Just prior to my leaving on a trip yesterday I noticed a "hot read" in QIK stating all visitors needed a Visa for entry into GIG. So I stepped into the crew service center and asked about it and to see if it affected our crew members. ( who knows..I might work the flight sometime ) I was told by a supervisor that crew members were exempt.

If that supervisor could be sent to GIG the problem is solved.

Surely our friends in Brazil would believe a supervisor.

Yes.

The Brazilians have always had reciprocity with whatever the US government does to Brazilian citizens traveling to the US. That means visas. It meant pictures and fingerprints upon entry for awhile after the US deployed US-VISIT and did not exempt Brazil. I don't blame the Brazilians for this. The cost of a 5 year Brazil visa was about $120 the last time I got one. The odds of a US citizen being denied a visa for Brazil and the cost of getting one pale in the face of the odds of a Brazilian citizen being denied a visa to travel to the US and/or wasting even more money.

Further, Brazil gets people to head there because of their tourist attractions and growing economy--people will happily get the visas. Heck, people still come to the US from non-visa-waiver countries in droves and that process is both more expensive and more of a PITA.

I wish more countries would do that crap to the US--we'd become serious about our borders again, as opposed to driving away money and investment in the name of protecting the homeland....

Yes.

The Brazilians have always had reciprocity with whatever the US government does to Brazilian citizens traveling to the US. That means visas. It meant pictures and fingerprints upon entry for awhile after the US deployed US-VISIT and did not exempt Brazil. I don't blame the Brazilians for this. The cost of a 5 year Brazil visa was about $120 the last time I got one. The odds of a US citizen being denied a visa for Brazil and the cost of getting one pale in the face of the odds of a Brazilian citizen being denied a visa to travel to the US and/or wasting even more money.

Further, Brazil gets people to head there because of their tourist attractions and growing economy--people will happily get the visas. Heck, people still come to the US from non-visa-waiver countries in droves and that process is both more expensive and more of a PITA.

I wish more countries would do that crap to the US--we'd become serious about our borders again, as opposed to driving away money and investment in the name of protecting the homeland....

Well said.

Latest posts

Back