Boston Hub

BOS is a major DL market-they fly to all hubs, PTP routes, operate F/A base, Tech Ops, and had a state of the art terminal built in 2005. WT can correct me if I'm wrong but I think in the Mullin days the plan was to make BOS a true hub. Notably they planned to build a FIS facility in Terminal A but Massports wants/wanted all int'l arrivals in E and apparently that influenced DLs plans.

Josh

737823 said:
BOS is a major DL market-they fly to all hubs, PTP routes, operate F/A base, Tech Ops, and had a state of the art terminal built in 2005. WT can correct me if I'm wrong but I think in the Mullin days the plan was to make BOS a true hub. Notably they planned to build a FIS facility in Terminal A but Massports wants/wanted all int'l arrivals in E and apparently that influenced DLs plans.

Josh
Not sure I would say "hub" but some TATL flying for sure. 

Delta still wants FIS in A. 

Massport dowsn't want multiple FIS. And they are renovating E (again-last renovation was 2003-2005) to accommodate EK for A380 capable gates. Personally I think that's too much considering their load factors on the 77W are in the 60% range but when you have bottomless pockets, subsidized fuel and cheap labor somehow it all works out.

Josh

700UW said:
They have line maintenance not TechOps, TechOps is ATL.
Are you that ignorant? TechOps is the DL term for maintenance. The ATL facility is TOC. Try again, stick to what you know.

Josh

737823 said:
Are you that ignorant? TechOps is the DL term for maintenance. The ATL facility is TOC. Try again, stick to what you know.

Josh
You make this way too easy:

http://www.deltatechops.com/

Delta TechOps is the largest airline MRO in North America and the third largest worldwide. Delta TechOps serves more than 150 aviation and airline customers from around the world, specializing in high-skill work such as engines, components, avionics, airframe and line maintenance. Delta TechOps employs more than 9,600 maintenance repair & overhaul professionals and is one of the most experienced aircraft MRO providers in the world with more than seven decades of aviation expertise.

700UW said:
You make this way too easy:

DeltaTechOps is the maintenance department of Delta Airlines. It includes the MRO, Support Shops, Line Maintenance, etc.

"Josh" is correct. In your zeal to prove him wrong you overlooked this from your link:

http://www.deltatechops.com/mro-capabilities/view/category/service-locator

"Line Maintenance - Service Locator
Line Maintenance Solutions Provided All over the World
Delta TechOps provides a complete range of line maintenance services. And it's easy to find exactly what you need. Just click on one of the tabs below to search from a list of services available at each of our 49 aircraft maintenance stations across the globe. You can search by airport code, geographic location, aircraft type or engine type.

Line Maintenance Services and Station Details

Download our Line Maintenance Station Capabilities Overview to find more information on:
Aircraft Types Covered
Aircraft Engine Types Covered
MTC Levels (L2, L3, L4)
Non-destructive Testing (NDT)
Engine Change
Service Checks
Defect Rectification
Layover Checks & much more"

Boston is one of those station. NWA had a fairly large Line Maint operation there at one time. I also think Delta had quite a few folks and possibly a hangar? It was the old Northeast Airlines HQ.

If you read my post once again, you will see where what I posted included line maintenance, but as you know TechOps is mostly Heavy and shops.

how about you read the link you posted. and what others have posted.

DL Tech Ops is the name for DL's entire maintenance division.

Tech Ops includes Line Maintenance of which BOS is listed as a station at which DL sells its services.

"When it comes to Line Maintenance, Delta TechOps is at the forefront of the industry with a comprehensive range of flexible services. From routine turnaround and overnight checks, to rectification of non-routine aircraft log entries and the most complex in-service repairs, we can customize our services to your specific needs."

Josh
Mullin was from New England so he wanted to develop BOS over NYC. DL is the byproduct of a merger with Northeast Airlines in the early 70s.

the whole conversation about BOS as a hub validates that DL considers BOS a major market for which it is willing to fight for its role in the market. other carriers - esp. B6 of late - have started service into key DL markets which has led DL to push to grow its own markets.

DL is the largest int'l carrier at BOS - which is why dawg is correct that DL still wants to have its own FIS facilities.. and the chances are high that if Massport allowed DL to have FIS at its own terminal, DL would likely add more int'l flights.

it is highly likely that DL will continue to grow at BOS and may choose to push to regain the title of the largest legacy carrier at BOS.

Maybe southwind or topdawg (current active DL employees) will weigh in but TechOps is DLs maintenance division both line and overhaul.

Josh

they can weigh in but the website specifically says so.

Delta TechOps is the largest airline MRO in North America and the third largest worldwide. Delta TechOps serves more than 150 aviation and airline customers from around the world, specializing in high-skill work such as engines, components, avionics, airframe and line maintenance. Delta TechOps employs more than 9,600 maintenance repair & overhaul professionals and is one of the most experienced aircraft MRO providers in the world with more than seven decades of aviation expertise.

jcw said:
remember all the vitriolic we got when someone said boston is not a hub.

here is the sentence from the last press release:

"with key hubs and markets including Amsterdam, Atlanta, Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York-JFK, New York-LaGuardia, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Salt Lake City, Seattle and Tokyo-Narita."

Now if it is not a hub why would you list 11 hubs and one non-hub?  notice CVG or MEM are not on the list

I guess BOS is the only non omnidirectional hub in the DL network

Well of course BOS isn't a Delta hub - that's just the type of marketing P.R. spin (much like "end-to-end networks," "all hubs are safe," etc.) that Delta has become so good at overusing.

In reality, BOS is just a very large station for Delta catering almost entirely to O&D - just as is the case for JetBlue (the market's largest carrier), AA (now with USAirways the market's second largest airline) and United.  Now sure, Delta certainly caters to some connections at BOS from people traveling to/from LHR, AMS, CDG, etc., and even some domestic markets no doubt - but that doesn't make it a hub, just as it doesn't for those other carriers who also surely handle some limited connections there.

Airlines - not just Delta - use and misuse the term "hub" very loosely to suit whatever particular marketing needs they have on that day, in that particular press release, etc., but "hubs" in the strictest sense are large stations where flights and passengers are scheduled to logically, and purposefully, connect on a large scale.  Delta's operation at BOS that is not.

perhaps you can give us a definition of hub... but be careful cuz I'm not sure we can find a million reasons for your definition not to be valid.

or you can accept what I said all along that BOS is a key market which for some reason DL decided to include in its boilerplate PR language but not include other cities

and it also doesn't change that DL is as interested in growing and defending its position as AA is. BOS is, along with LAX, one of the last major coastal markets that don't have a large difference between the size of one legacy relative to the others.

unlike LAX, AA and UA aren't interested in serving BOS with its own metal while DL is.

Back