American Won't Make Peanut Allergy Announcement And Won't Let Family Board

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
American Airlines trails competitors in accommodating passengers with peanut allergies, allergy activists say contributing to an unfortunate incident early this month at Southwest Florida International Airport in Fort Myers.

In the Jan. 4 incident, a British family of four was denied boarding after seeking the same accommodation it was granted on its flights to Florida: a pre-flight crew announcement advising passengers not to eat nuts during the flight. Eleven-year-old Daniel Levitan has a peanut allergy.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2015/01/14/american-wont-make-peanut-allergy-announcement-and-wont-let-family-board/?partner=yahootix

It would seem that all eleven year old Daniel Levitan had to do was not eat peanuts while on the AA flight.

Is that so hard?

No, you're missing the point.  What the peanut allergy folk want (and in some cases demand) that no one on the flight can eat peanuts or open a bag with peanuts in it.  We are supposed to do everything we can to "guarantee" a peanut-free environment.  American does not serve peanuts, but we do not make PAs asking other passengers to refrain from eating the peanuts they have purchased and brought on board themselves.

Next thing you know, they will be demanding that anyone wearing cologne or wool or whatever the poor soul is allergic to must get off the airplane.  I've had a passenger before demand that a woman with a cat in a carrier (for which she had paid a fee to bring on board) had to "be removed from the flight" because the guy talking to me was allergic to cats.  No medical statement.  No nothing.  Just because he said so.

Making an announcement REQUESTING passengers from consuming nuts is not such a huge burden for an airline, and it should be in company policy to allow agents and flight crews to make such an announcement.

But, when a passenger makes a request for such an announcement, there should be a hold-harmless agreement signed by the requesting passengers making it clear that the airline is not responsible for making the airplane allergen-free, nor can it be held liable in any way if another passenger ignores the announcement.  Other stipulations should require the allergic passenger to be fully equipped (epi pen, antihistamines, etc.) to handle any adverse reaction in flight.

Airlines are mass transit, and not private conveyance.  While it is good that airlines be required to make reasonable accommodations for people with special needs, it is more important that those people with special needs understand and accept full responsibility for any unique dangers they face when in a public conveyance, or even a public space.

nycbusdriver said:
Making an announcement REQUESTING passengers from consuming nuts is not such a huge burden for an airline, and it should be in company policy to allow agents and flight crews to make such an announcement.

But, when a passenger makes a request for such an announcement, there should be a hold-harmless agreement signed by the requesting passengers making it clear that the airline is not responsible for making the airplane allergen-free, nor can it be held liable in any way if another passenger ignores the announcement.  Other stipulations should require the allergic passenger to be fully equipped (epi pen, antihistamines, etc.) to handle any adverse reaction in flight.

Airlines are mass transit, and not private conveyance.  While it is good that airlines be required to make reasonable accommodations for people with special needs, it is more important that those people with special needs understand and accept full responsibility for any unique dangers they face when in a public conveyance, or even a public space.
Couldn't agree more. But your scenario is too simple to follow. It's too reasonable. But should a peanut-related allergic reaction occur, it is a good chance that a lawsuit will follow regardless, win or lose.
I sympathize with children and even adults with these allergies, but there is no guarantee that wherever they choose to go will be peanut free. We can't expect them to stop living and just stay in a bubble, but living with the allergy requires more vigilance on their part.

Nycbusdriver, at what point do you draw the line?  You name a substance or animal and someone will be allergic to it.  Couldn't we just make a blanket announcement that if you are allergic to anything, any time, any where, let us know and we will tell the rest of the passengers to stop wearing it, breathing it, or carrying it.

I hate to sound like an old coot, but when I was in school there was one kid in my class who had allergies, and he looked sick.  Today, you see these people who look like they should be down linemen for the Packers whining about their allergies and how the rest of the world must rearrange itself every 5 minutes to accommodate their particular idiosyncrasy.  A lot of these allergies are simply the person doesn't like the smell, feel, taste or whatever; so, they declare they are allergic.  It's the same issue as the passengers who seem to think that whatever they want to do is their by god Constitutional right to do--people are spoiled today.  Their personal space must suit them at all times.  The slightest discomfort is not to be tolerated.  They must be entertained 24 hours/day.  Therefore, their electronic device must never be turned off.  Etc.  Etc.  Etc.

Years ago when I lived in Houston, my late wife and I were at the Alley Theater (the only professional theater in Texas ever to win a Tony award) in our season ticket seats.  The woman seated in front of my wife, turned around and announced that my wife would have to move because "I (the woman) am allergic to your perfume."  Note she didn't say to just any perfume.  It was the perfume my wife was wearing.  Margie pointed out to her that these were our Gold Circle season tickets, had been for years, and if anyone was going to move it would have to be her.  Somehow the woman and her allergy made it through the entire performance without even a sniffle.

There are some elementary schools which BAN all kids from bringing in a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich to class... Does that seem fair?

MetalMover said:
There are some elementary schools which BAN all kids from bringing in a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich to class... Does that seem fair?
No, that seems ridiculous.

I disagree with jim on a few things but not this issue

it is not any company's responsibility to tell the general public to use or consume a product which they don't serve for the benefit of someone who has a personal need.

I don't like some types of colognes but I sure don't expect any airline to make an announcement to tell women to wipe it open before I board. (and then it would only be certain scents - others are just fine. :)

AA does serve nuts on its aircraft, however.

but they owe no one any responsibility to tell the public not to eat nuts.

People who are that sensitive to nuts should not be on public transportation.

WorldTraveler said:
I disagree with jim on a few things but not this issue

it is not any company's responsibility to tell the general public to use or consume a product which they don't serve for the benefit of someone who has a personal need.

I don't like some types of colognes but I sure don't expect any airline to make an announcement to tell women to wipe it open before I board. (and then it would only be certain scents - others are just fine. :)

AA does serve nuts on its aircraft, however.

but they owe no one any responsibility to tell the public not to eat nuts.

People who are that sensitive to nuts should not be on public transportation.
I have to say I agree...As selfish as it might seem. Trying to change the attitude of the masses to accommodate one is impossible in my opinion.

it's not selfish to expect someone who is an exception (the one with peanut allergies) to figure out how to live in a world where the majority of people are indifferent or can eat them.

MetalMover said:
Schools are not exactly an institution I'd look to for rational thought. One of my kids' teachers actually had a rule that Fox News couldn't be used as a source because it's not credible, but CNN and MSNBC could.

If you're worried about airborne particles, bring a mask.

Back