AA orders yet another 777

Yep, the Boeing website now shows that AA has six 777-323ERs on order.

Looks like they are finally using their delivery rights (using the 18-20 months lead time afforded in the technically non-exclusive exclusivity clause they have with Boeing). Good on 'em. Maybe that rumor of 13 was correct, except that they're new builds and not ex-JAL...

Guess they are pretty close to a deal with the pilots.

That's my assumption. Either that or AA has no immediate plans to fly them on really long-haul flights and is planning to use them to add capacity to slot-controlled airports like NRT and LHR.

IIRC, the sticking point on very long-haul flights is 14 hours of duty day, but I may not be remembering correctly.

Edit: Strike all of that above; I forgot that AA doesn't even have a green book rate for the plane for any flights, according to the APA.

So either AA is planning to ebay some 777s, hoping to flip them for profits, or they must be confident of a deal with the APA.

Maybe, and perhaps AA figured out that ordering airplanes might be the only way to prove to skeptics that they intend to keep flying ultra-long-haul even as the JV's with BA and JL start to ramp up.

That's my assumption. Either that or AA has no immediate plans to fly them on really long-haul flights and is planning to use them to add capacity to slot-controlled airports like NRT and LHR.

IIRC, the sticking point on very long-haul flights is 14 hours of duty day, but I may not be remembering correctly.

Edit: Strike all of that above; I forgot that AA doesn't even have a green book rate for the plane for any flights, according to the APA.

So either AA is planning to ebay some 777s, hoping to flip them for profits, or they must be confident of a deal with the APA.

Nope, they dont.

Things just shifted in our (mechs) favor as well.

http://www.teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/060211UALmechanicsVoteNo.pdf

Dunno, Bob. As I said on the UA forum, for all we know, the UA vote is saying that a growing number of UA's mechanics are as pissed off at the IBT as as AA's mechanics seem to be with the TWU.

When I see people looking back at the IAM and AMFA as being an improvement over the IBT, there has to be a problem. And the IBT appears to be little different from the TWU with their appoint-for-life mentality.

Nope, they dont.

Things just shifted in our (mechs) favor as well.

http://www.teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/060211UALmechanicsVoteNo.pdf

How is this a "plus" in our column?

It's evident their is collusion between the majors and a contest going to see who can hold out the longest (with the NMB's blessings, of course).

Well...the assumption is, the Teamsters will squeeze a bit more out of UA, and set the bar higher for AA to have to come up to.
I know you knew that Frank, but hopefully it will come to fruition for you guys. ;)

Dunno, Bob. As I said on the UA forum, for all we know, the UA vote is saying that a growing number of UA's mechanics are as pissed off at the IBT as as AA's mechanics seem to be with the TWU.

When I see people looking back at the IAM and AMFA as being an improvement over the IBT, there has to be a problem. And the IBT appears to be little different from the TWU with their appoint-for-life mentality.

And what do you think they are pissed about? Let me give you a hint M-O-N-E-Y. If there was $50/hr on the table they would have voted YES and could care less who or how it was run. SWA is the only example of mechanics voting out a Union because of the way it was run and not because of substandard compensation deals they tried to peddle to the members, and that was done after they voted yes on the industry leading contract the IBT brought back to them.

Back