A350 Scrapped?

What does US need more widebodies for in the future, other Star airlines will be more than happy to carry passengers on long-haul sectors. That is why US is in the alliance in the first place, to feed the rest of the alliance.
It works both ways. If US left all their long-haul flying to the * partners, it would be completely disadvantageous to them. Instead, each airline offers long hauls where it can generate good revenue and feed it's partners in their hub cities, and vice versa. It's very symbiotic for all parties involved.

The A350/370/whatever is turning into an A330/340 replacement, so it would make little sense to get the A330's in 2009/2010 just to see them made obsolete a few years later - unless we really need the lift they'd provide.

Boeing once leased PI 727-100's to fill a void until the first 737's were delivered. Maybe Airbus could do something similiar, as some have mentioned in this thread.

Jim

700, You're correct on the A332s.

DCA, There are a couple of problems with your scenario. Boeing is not making the 757 anymore and many of the US 757s are already pretty long in the tooth. Second, the A332s were supposed to replace the 767s, which are also aging. IIRC, the A332s were ordered before the A350 was announced. After the announcement, it has been pretty widely assumed that there was a good chance US would convert all of its orders to A350s.

With the delay of the A350 program, it may not be practical to wait. That leaves US with the choice of going with A332s that it doesn't really want, waiting even longer for the "all new" A350, or finding a way out of the financing deal.

None of these are good options. It probably means the fleet will have to look different in 2010 than the folks in the Sand Castle had hoped.

Titan,

I am aware that the 75s aren't being made any more, but we still have plenty of them. The reason I suggested puting leaving them in the fleet was because, from my understanding, the 321's dont function well in the desert. The only other option, going forward, is the 373-900, I believe, which would provide the seating options left behind if we were to dump the 75s.
As for the 76s, I'm aware that they are getting old, but, again from my understanding, ours are still in pretty good shape (appearance notwithstanding) with relatively low cycles, as opposed to UAL, DAL, and AA, who use/used them domestically.

In any event, I believe it's time to begin thinking about switching our widebody fleet to Boeing.

That $90 million "special item" in the quarterly report was part of the $250 Airbus loan. Our not having to repay it (hence the "special item") was contingent on getting the A350. So it would seem that we're more tightly hitched to the ebbs and flows of the A350 program than ever.

So in exchange for the paper profit, US gets stuck with the inferior aircraft.

Brilliant!

From the 6/27/05 issue of Aviation Week:

"Airbus has raised list prices across its product line. The prices, which typically are above what airlines actually pay, increased about 3% on average. For the new A350-800, the list price has gone up to $158.6 million from $153.5 million. The most expensive aircraft, the A380, now commands a list price of up to $302 million."

Wonder what will happen to the price this year, expecially if Airbus does a complete redesign...

Jim

That's comical! It shows just how little list prices actually have to do with reality.

If anyone really paid more for an A350 than a comparable 787, he should be looking for a new line of work right about now.

I think US needs A332 for growth and replacement of 767's. They also help for Phoenix and Las Vegas service to Europe which I hope comes in 200. A333 don't have west coast to Europe range, Aer Lingus bought A332 so they could fly to LAX. Also one day, Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires will be flown from Charlotte or PHL, international airplanes are what wuld fly that too.

Lets do the math, if you have 10 767s and you replace them with 10 A330-200, they are replacement a/c not growth, PHX and LAS are not slated for widebody service as there is not enough widebodies for European service, ie the three ETOPS 757s so they can add service.

All the PHX and LAS people are dreaming if you think you will see Non-Stop European flights anytime soon, and your Executives have even state such.

All the PHX and LAS people are dreaming if you think you will see Non-Stop European flights anytime soon, and your Executives have even state such.

Agreed. It's been a long time since HP flew those 747s, but someone in Tempe probably remembers that debacle. Nonstop flights to Europe from PHX and LAS would already exist if they made any sense. As in, HP would have been flying them during the 1990s to now.

Well, I don't pay attention to LCC's Europe plans, but considering Airbus's position re the 350, coulen't LCC say, "hey, Airbus give us some 332's on a favorable lease, we'll use them as growth/replacement for the europe service for a few years and we'll see if we like them. When the 350s eis we'll take some of those as true replacements for the 67s and see if we want to keep the 332s'

Airbus has been very responsive to the requests for a re-thinking of the A350. I've seen pictures of some of the mockups and redesign in the cockpit/nose area. The aircraft as it stands today is a little slower than the dreamliner at Mach .83 cruise but will lift more payload with a better range. I think it will remain a competive alternative for the dreamliner and shares a common type rating with the A330 fleet. Airbus is still not of of the running for this class aircraft. Some competive leases on A330s until we can get the aircraft would be nice.

A320 Driver

Airbus 'Guessed Wrong' On A350, McArtor Says
By James Ott and Martial Tardy
05/23/2006 10:23:25 AM

Airbus North America Chairman Allan McArtor said the European manufacturer "guessed wrong" in the initial design of the A350 and that by summer it will develop an aircraft that will be more competitive and even dominant against Boeing's 787.

Summer also appears to be the timeframe for French, British, German and Spanish governments to decide if they plan to resume support for the A350 development program, said French Transport Minister Dominique Perben in a May 22 interview with French daily Le Figaro. "We will make a common decision before the opening of the air show in Farnborough," Perben said.

In the meantime, Perben and his colleagues will be informed about the intentions of European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS) on the future of the A350. "We believe in this project, and we have no intention to continue wasting time," Perben said. European governments suspended launch aid for the A350 program last year as a token of good will to settle their dispute with the United States on state aid to the aircraft industry, which is now pending at the World Trade Organization.

McArtor, meanwhile, said in an interview Monday that Airbus thought the A350 would be successful if it was "put on steroids" and powered by the GEnx engine. But "customers said we want something a little bit different than that, [and] be more aggressive with your innovation."

The former FAA administrator said Airbus is obliged to develop and innovate with each aircraft. He said new design elements will be known in a few months, but he wouldn't comment on development costs. He mused that manufacturers should not "fall in love with legacy programs."

McArtor's assessments follow comments by Airbus CEO Gustav Humbert that a decision on relaunch of the A350 has not been made (DAILY, May 18). At that time, Humbert also said some comments made by his colleagues in the French press regarding the A350 were "not helpful." He made it clear that relaunching the plane would only happen if it increases market ability and improves market acceptance.

Previously, industry sources have said that Airbus management is divided on an A350 revamp, but that supporters of an estimated $3 billion investment are gaining strength (DAILY, May 10).

Airbus North America CEO Barry Eccleston and McArtor joined GE-Aviation President and CEO Scott Donnelly, at the Evendale, Ohio, plant to observe the 35th year of the GE-Airbus partnership that began with the CF6 engine powering the A300. Donnelly said the partnership has meant $30 billion revenues for GE, which has provided, along with SNECMA, 7,300 CFM and GE engines to the airframe maker.

Back