Your First Set of Wheels

those winged Dodge and Plymouths bring crazy money, I seen a Dodge version recently reached 290k and didnt meet reserve

The older I get the less I value sports cars. Too low, too tight (I am 6'2''), and too hard to get in and out of. I mean the point of a Corvette is not to be comfortable after all, it's to haul ass.

To be honest I wish bench seats were more common these days. Hard to snuggle with your woman in bucket seats.

447931dd4f658452e063083e0cf37693.jpg

Understood and largely agreed with, save for being a "bit" more "vertically challenged" myself at a whopping 5'7"...but sanity aside...well...methinks a man simply must indulge himself with the occasional toy anyway. One gift of advancing age for me is the "realization" (or at least justification) that simply enjoying a fine "toy" car/whatever doesn't really have to make any actual sense anyway. Why else would anyone of us ever even eat ice cream if our actions always had to "make sense"? ;)

Last edited:
Yes...they were even expensive back then....almost $3,000

In "relative" economic fairness a '65/327 Vette tagged in at little more than 4.4K new with all the trimmings, and one could purchase a brand new-built house in even the SFO Bay Area's extended suburbs for approx 16-18k at the time, so adjustments for inflation are always, if painfully required.

My currant toy. 1968 Chevrolet Camaro, 250 inline six, with torque drive semi-automatic transmission. Only 3099 were built with this option..Has 25,000 original miles, it is unrestored, out of Southern California. I'm the second owner. A different kind of Camaro!
14355528_1378036135543165_4359486578898732170_n.jpg

Last edited:
When I took my Dad down to show him the car I wanted to buy for my first car. He took one look under the hood of the 1952 Olds, shut it and told me it was too much car for a youngster like myself. Consequently, I ended up with this. Minus the sun visor, and fender skirts.
s-l1600.jpg

My currant toy. 1968 Chevrolet Camaro, 250 inline six, with torque drive semi-automatic transmission. Only 3099 were built with this option..Has 25,000 original miles, it is unrestored, out of Southern California. I'm the second owner. A different kind of Camaro!
14355528_1378036135543165_4359486578898732170_n.jpg

Totally "speaks to me"....save for the auto trans part, which is clearly the result of communist agents intent on the destruction of America from within during the sixties. ;) Seriously though; she's a beauty.

When I took my Dad down to show him the car I wanted to buy for my first car. He took one look under the hood of the 1952 Olds, shut it and told me it was too much car for a youngster like myself. Consequently, I ended up with this. Minus the sun visor, and fender skirts.
s-l1600.jpg

Sheesh! I must now wonder if my own father wasn't secretly seeking my destruction. ;) As my 16th birthday fast approached (and he being briefly at home before once more shipping off on USS Midway with the VNam war at it's height) took me to the local Harley shop and simply said; "Happy Birthday. Pick one out son." The highways in neighboring Nevada then had NO speed limits and life was good for a kid. Of course "politicians" had to naturally FK that up along with any aspect of essential Freedom a few years afterwards. 55mph?...Are you kidding me? What happened to "The Pursuit of Happiness"? Everyone knows one could at best only feebly pursue, but NEVER actually catch "Happiness" at 55mph? What is it about spineless "politicians" that makes them so much HATE cheap thrills/high velocity and personal Freedom?

Last edited:
Sheesh! I must now wonder if my own father wasn't secretly seeking my destruction. ;) As my 16th birthday fast approached (and he being briefly at home before once more shipping off on USS Midway with the VNam war at it's height) took me to the local Harley shop and simply said; "Happy Birthday. Pick one out son." The highways in neighboring Nevada then had NO speed limits and life was good for a kid. Of course "politicians" had to naturally FK that up along with any aspect of essential Freedom a few years afterwards. 55mph?...Are you kidding me? What happened to "The Pursuit of Happiness"? Everyone knows one could at best only feebly pursue, but NEVER actually catch "Happiness" at 55mph? What is it about spineless "politicians" that makes them so much HATE cheap thrills/high velocity and personal Freedom?

Montana never really enforced the 55mph limit...the signs used to be "reasonable and proper". But....if they didn't enforce the double nickle, they wouldn't get highway funds. So they did....my dad got pulled over for going 80 in a 55...got a ticket for "wasting energy"...not a moving violation. The fine was low and it didn't impact his insurance. And the state met all the requirements.

Montana never really enforced the 55mph limit...the signs used to be "reasonable and proper". But....if they didn't enforce the double nickle, they wouldn't get highway funds. So they did....my dad got pulled over for going 80 in a 55...got a ticket for "wasting energy"...not a moving violation. The fine was low and it didn't impact his insurance. And the state met all the requirements.

Still and all; WHAT possible excuse is there for guv-mint idiots to so abusively restrict personal Freedom at all?....Especially when even the very police know such to be just a "scam" of sorts?

"The fine was low"...? So that magically made "everything all right"? WHY should he have been even subject to such a "fine" in the first place, especially when that 55 limit was likely just some newly minted and entirely mindless whim of utterly worthless/power-drunk politicians anyway? You folks of the "liberal" persuasion have an amazing capacity to dismiss guv-mint from any notions of accountability.

Still and all; WHAT possible excuse is there for guv-mint idiots to so abusively restrict personal Freedom at all?....Especially when even the very police know such to be just a "scam" of sorts?

"The fine was low"...? So that magically made "everything all right"? WHY should he have been even subject to such a "fine" in the first place, especially when that 55 limit was likely just some newly minted and entirely mindless whim of utterly worthless/power-drunk politicians anyway? You folks of the "liberal" persuasion have an amazing capacity to dismiss guv-mint from any notions of accountability.
Um...the fine was $5. If someone was willing to give you a million dollars a year to keep the roads in decent enough shape that you could drive at a "reasonable and proper speed"...all they had to do was "enforce" a 55 mph speed limit....would you prefer that they slap you with a $300 fine and put it on your insurance rates for 2 years?

Not sure where you got that I supported the 55 mph limit (enacted under a conservative republican btw)...You had extremes...states like Ohio that would stop you for driving 56....put it in as a "moving violation" and bump your insurance rates up for 2 years...or a state that didn't give a damn how fast you were driving but issued a $5 fine for a non-moving violation to keep the federal money rolling in?

Or....if you had a strictly enforced 70 mph limit, but had the option to take a toll road for $5, but could drive as fast as you wanted...which one would you choose?

Latest posts

Back