What's Your Shift?

Skywrench

Mar 13, 2003
My employer is looking into altering the AME shift, and have hired a consultant to help with the task (where do I get a job like that). Just curious to see what kind of shifts everyone else works, or what you felt the best shift you ever worked was. Currently, we are working a 5 on/5 off shift, alternating between 12hr. days and 12hr. nights. They are looking for input from us, but due to the aircraft's flight schedules, we are pretty limited in options.

Best shift I ever worked on aviation-related was at Buttonville. We mimicked the MOH schedule at that time based on 4 different crews. I still say if I could ever work that shift again, doing whatever, I would. It was great.

Found I had a lot of time and it worked out quite nicely. Especially the 6 days off each month. I will always remember it....

Beginning Monday Night...

Mon 6pm - 6am
Tue 6pm - 6am
Wed 6pm - 6am
Thu 6pm - 6am

Fri - off
Sat- off
Sun - off
Mon - off

Tue - 6am - 6pm
Wed - 6am - 6pm
Thu - 6am - 6pm (24 hours off till next shift)
Fri - 6pm - 6am
Sat - 6pm - 6am
Sun - 6pm - 6am

Mon - off
Tue - off
Wed - off
Thu - off

Fri - 6am - 6pm
Sat - 6am - 6pm
Sun - 6am - 6pm
Mon - 6am - 6pm

Tue - off
Wed - off
Thu - off
Fri - off
Sat- off
Mon - off (start all over again at 6pm)

Spent about four years working 7pm till 4am. Monday thru Thursday. Then also work day shift every second weekend. Tough changeover. I was on night time schedules even during my days off. Hard on family also.

Best shift 8 til 5pm Monday to Friday. That was my reward for all the night shifts I guess. :rolleyes:

I find twelve hour shifts real long. They seem to get less productive after seven or eight hours. Especially if you wind up working overtime after that. One of the advantages to twelve hour shifts is, as Kyle says, you wind up with a bunch of days off.

If you go from days to nights there should be a stretch of time off between to get your body acclimatized to the night shift. If you can manage it. B)

My shift is, get up in the morning,check hrdc for jobs,let the dogs out to pee,get something to eat and go back to bed!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :rolleyes: :lol:

So louie, what you are really saying is that things aren't much different than when you do have a job??? :p

There was some twinkle toes from YOW at last year's WAMEA that presented this dat, she seemed surprized about the findings, everyone in ht eroom with some time in was thinking "Yup, so what's new?" <_<

Funny how it's "News" that AME's put in long hours..

It's all tied in with their Human Factors push..

What they have to learn is to train the owner/operator about this.. It's always a tough one cause, if the airplanes don't fly, the company doesn't make any money.. If they don't make any money, we don't have a job..

Of course, if we work too many hours, get too fatigued and miss something.. Airplane crashes and we don't have a job either..

Catch 22...

Mine is "supposed" to be 5 on, 5 off. Sometimes it 14 on 3 off, 21 on 5 off, 30 on 1 off...... :wacko:

Depends where the machine is, how many spares, what check, where the check is done, the time off year, the number of people sick, on vacation..... :wacko: :blink:

Of course that's the plank world! As per that Transport study, never really minded the hours in the Fling wing world. After workin all nite I could sleep like a baby in the truck between hot refueling! :up: :up:

The shift I always liked best was the 4+4.. Lot's of time off, days off in the week are always good because if you want to do something, chances are the crowds are less. It does however make it hard to commit to a hockey or baseball team, but that's usually pretty easy to get around.

Another shift that I worked that was not to bad was when I was flying for Bill McCully, we worked a 4+2.. It worked pretty good too..

Twotter

Quote" Another shift that I worked that was not to bad was when I was flying for "UnQuote

the key word there Twotter, ya ol red neck is "worked" somehow I can't imagine dat!! :shock: :wacko: :D

OK.. I'll change it to showed up and collected a paycheck... :p

Thanks for pointing out my mistake mr. louie... ;)

So what's happening out east?? Are you on day parole now?? :shock: :p

Cheers.. :D :D

Hey Twotter,

That's better... ;)

Slower than the second coming of Christ out this way!!! :(

All thats out here are min wage jobs and thats at least a buck less than BC. :unsure:

Have a Happy Day
:up:

If you work nights ( as I did for years) A 7 on/ 7 off shift is great. The worst part about nights is the change to nights, and the change back to days. With 7 off, the 1st couple days are shot getting used to daytime life, then you still have 5 more days to do something. I really liked it. It is simple too- all shifts start on a Wednesday, which guarantees you every 2nd weekend off, important if you're trying to fit in with the rest of the world. :up:

Back