Us Airways Expects To See Profit In 2006

It all comes down to value. Do enough customers value these things sufficiently to pay the extra fares necessary to more than offset the additional costs? To complicate it any further than that is to ignore the fundamental point.

i'm one of those that used to really appreciate nice meals and fancy service, but somehow that feels so 20th century. Yes, in transcon or int FIRST class do it up. But in a business class transcon, give me a nice sandwich and maybe some hot soup or something... but no haute cuisine.

Here is what I find to be the most significant passage of the article:

The company yesterday would not confirm the figures, which the Post-Gazette obtained from participants at a meeting last week between executives and labor officials at the airline's Arlington, Va., headquarters.

The new estimates differ from public bankruptcy court testimony delivered two months ago by former Chief Financial Officer Dave Davis, who predicted the airline would lose $200 million in 2005, $25 million in 2006 and not be profitable until 2007, even with the $1 billion in labor concessions then sought by management.

Have conditions really changed this dramatically in two months? Or is management's story changing? My gut says that not much has changed since mid-December (concession targets were in place, fuel backed off of the record highs set in October).

Hope777 said:
Agreed there is savings, but at what costs? Our F/C passengers are not happy with our Transcon Service and are booking away. Remember you MUST spend money to make money.
[post="246880"][/post]​
These same passengers have to realize that what they once had is NO LONGER. Those on this board keep telling US employees that we need to accept the changing industry (i.e. lower wages to stay alive and company strategy changes), well they too need to realize that the "services" in the industry are changing as well. It is sad, but true.

Just out of curiousity, name a US carrier with a real first class that is profitable nowadays...

Not saying it is time to get rid of such, but I am saying that it is time to readdress everything and anything we do, to offer better value (meaning something the pasenger is willing to pay for) rather than just sticking with the way things are.

IMO, a good expample migt be to look at Midwest Airlines, long known, and still known as the "best care in the air". They too have cut back, yet found a happy medium between offering what the customer wants, and what the customer will pay for.

Well, I guess it would depend on the definition of "real first class" and "nowdays", but there's AirTran....

Jim

Rico said:
Just out of curiousity, name a US carrier with a real first class that is profitable nowadays...

Not saying it is time to get rid of such, but I am saying that it is time to readdress everything and anything we do, to offer better value (meaning something the pasenger is willing to pay for) rather than just sticking with the way things are.

IMO, a good expample migt be to look at Midwest Airlines, long known, and still known as the "best care in the air". They too have cut back, yet found a happy medium between offering what the customer wants, and what the customer will pay for.
[post="247053"][/post]​

How do you explain the profitability of BA, CX, QF, SQ, LH and the others? They are profitable because they are foreign?

Could their profitability be the result of a lack of overcapacity in their markets?

There's far too much capacity here in the USA.

If a couple large carriers shut down tomorrow, the passengers who are willing to pay higher fares would be shared among fewer airlines. Additionally, the reduction in capacity could not be instantly restored by the hated LCCs - leading to a long-overdue rise in fares. Those unwilling to pay higher fares would thus be left home (since capacity would be reduced). Voila - profits for the industry.

FWIW, First Call Earnings Valuation Report reflects roughly the same numbers for 2005 but they don't go beyond that.

With only one broker's estimates, they say an EPS loss of $3.60 in 1Q, profit of $1.32 in 2Q, loss of $1.20 in 3Q, and loss of $2.28 in 4Q. That nets to a loss of $5.76 per share for the year.

Presumably these are based on the 56-58 million shares outstanding.

Jim

Didn't US report a $1 billion+ profit upon emergence from Bankruptcy #1? IIRC, it was due to balancing of accounting entries made while in Ch 11.

The short answer is "Yes" and "Yes".

Operating loss of $207 million turned into a net profit of $1.6 billion thanks to $1.9 billion of "reorganization items, net".

Those "reorganization items" were composed of:

Discharge of liabilities $3,938 million
Restructured aircraft financings $967 million
Termination of pension plans, net $387 million
Damage and deficiency claims ($2,167 million)
Revaluation of assets and liabilities ($1,107 million)
Professional fees ($51 million)
Other ($50 million)

Total = $1,917 million

Jim

ps - and FWIW they learned from their past mistake with the "temporary 5% war pay cut". I don't think it's any accident that profit sharing is based on annual profits excluding one time items.

jack mama said:
funguy,
dave davis is gone now...i'm sure the new guy has new numbers...
[post="247049"][/post]​

Perhaps... But the fact that there is a new person in charge is really irrelevant. This suggests that the company believes something has changed. I am curious as to what that is.

i'd say may be Midwest Airlines which has first class service and may be profitable now but i am not 100% sure though and may be america west as well with the first class service

Midwest is not what is was. They have cut back on their hot meals. I think the only item that is warm are their choc. chip cookies. They may have wide seats in the DC-9's and 717, but no leg room. The airline has also started an "airline within an airline" as well.

They may still offfer the best care in the air, but it is at a lower standard than pre 9/11

From the article: "The company also told labor leaders last week that it was still searching for ways to cut another $500 million through operational savings, a process that involves the review of thousands of vendor contracts."

Maybe they will dump Mesa? Is that why JO has been pushing for narrow boby rates from the Mesa pilots recently? Mesa becomes ACA/Indepedence #2. With the only difference being no one will feel bad seeing Mesa put through the ringer.

Back