Us Airways Expects To See Profit In 2006

USA320Pilot said:
US Airways expects to see profit in 2006
[post="246819"][/post]​

As usual employees lied to so the company gets what they want from them now are they lying to find an investor? Even though I think they are still doomed if USAirways managed to turn around will employees get back what they were ripped off?

Quote from the article:

"The number of passengers filling its planes dropped in the periods before and after Christmas"

Well, I guess a drop off in passenger bookings should be expected when the owner of the airline declares to the traveling public that liquidation may be necessary. You think?

As far as making money in 2006 goes, it sure would be nice, but management has shown no signs in the last several years of being the least bit visionary!

The company also told labor leaders last week that it was still searching for ways to cut another $500 million through operational savings, a process that involves the review of thousands of vendor contracts.

The first head on the chopping block for vendors has been catering. How much could they realistically save by changing catering?

-JC

jcooke said:
The first head on the chopping block for vendors has been catering. How much could they realistically save by changing catering?

-JC
[post="246875"][/post]​

Are we actually changing catering or just dumping them. If I was running this company, and I was changing catering, I'd have the new one on board prior to dumping the old. But then again, that is just me, what do I know about running an airline into the ground?

"How much could they realistically save by changing catering?"

Probably a not insignificant amount by going to boxed meals in F/C.....

I seem to remember that DAL went from 2 or 3 to 1 piece of lettuce under the pasta or chicken salad after 9-11 and said it would save them a few million per year.

Jim

Agreed there is savings, but at what costs? Our F/C passengers are not happy with our Transcon Service and are booking away. Remember you MUST spend money to make money.

RowUnderDCA said:
maybe that was during the iceberg lettuce blight a few years ago.
[post="246879"][/post]​

Maybe not. Now depending on a couple variables such as # of FC meals that use lettuce and cost of lettuce it adds up:

1150 mainline flights per day (per US website)
12 FC seats per flight (average guess with 737 as main plane)
= 13800 FC meals daily.

2 pieces of lettuce/meal
15 pieces of lettuce per head of lettuce
1.00 per head of lettuce (vendors may charge more/less for this)
= ~ 13 cents per meal for lettuce

13800 FC meals
13 cents/meal for lettuce
= $1794 for lettuce DAILY
= $654,810 for lettuce YEARLY

CynicalResAgent said:
Yes, the lettuce is the key.... LOL
[post="246902"][/post]​

lol. agreed, lettuce itself wont make/break the company but some of the negligible things add up fairly quickly on such a large scale that US operates on.

I wasn't kidding about the lettuce, there was a crop failure a few years ago and restaurants were cutting back on lettuce.

I'll admit that the lettuce thing at DAL was back when most of the legacy carriers served a lot more "regular" meals than they do now, so the savings today wouldn't be nearly as much as it was back then.

And I agree that there is such a thing as being "penny wise, pound foolish", like the F/C meals on transcons.

Jim

Back