Uncertainty Prompts Travelers To Study Alternative

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
By Tim Schooley
Pittsburgh Business Times
Updated: 8:00 p.m. ET Aug. 22, 2004

With US Airways signaling it could go into bankruptcy for a second time next month, local travel agents find themselves booking flights away from the airline amid worries it might not be there when it comes time for their customers to take off.

Paul Busang, the president of Gulliver's Travels Inc., a Shadyside based travel agency that focuses mainly on leisure travel, quickly counted up $4,600 US Airways lost in the span less than two hours last week.

One set of four clients who expected to use US Airways to take a January vacation to Panama had their flights switched to America West. Mr. Busang said he has other examples of clients actively avoiding flights on US Airways and expects more.

"It's a self-fulfilling prophecy," he said. "If you keep telling everybody you're going to go out of business, they will go out of business."

Currently, US Airways' main investors and corporate leadership are negotiating for $800 million in concessions from its labor unions as part of an effort to make $1.5 billion in cuts it says it needs to remain solvent.

A report developed by a firm called Glanzer & Co. for the pilots union of US Airways predicts that the airline may need to file for bankruptcy by Sept. 15, in part because of looming pension obligations. If that happens, industry observers and even US Airways leadership predict the airline will find it very difficult to emerge from bankruptcy court. Getting more financing to stay in business would be just as unlikely.

With Sept. 15 less than a month a way, travel agents are scrambling to make sure their clients get the flights they need on other airlines.

Jeffrey Underwood, president of Carlson Wagonlit Travel/Underwood Travel Associates Inc., sees the biggest issue in group bookings. "If and when they go bankrupt, all of a sudden you have a problem of how to reroute people," said Mr. Underwood. "What we've done is we've tried to place as many groups as we could with other airlines."

For Mr. Underwood, group bookings represent 30 percent of his business. They include bookings for many of the athletic teams at the University of Pittsburgh.

"Are you safe through September or October?" he asked. "The biggest gamble right now is the group (bookings)."

To avoid such a risk, Mr. Underwood said he had changed the plans for a group of 60 heading to Denver in the upcoming months.

Instead of booking a US Airways flight that may not exist by the time of their trip, he booked the group on a flight by America West, through Phoenix.

"I chose not to gamble," he said. "I tell my clients if we have to fly a connection, we fly a connection." That can mean, Mr. Underwood added, he might council clients to pass over a lower fair on a direct flight to avoid flying US Airways.

"You can have a ticket for $29, but if it's on a shaky airline, you're probably not going to spend $29," said Terry Trippler, an industry consultant based in Minneapolis. "Somebody should sit down with US Airways brain trust and explain that to them."

Mr. Trippler saw such a self-fulfilling prophecy as a possible "nail in the coffin" for US Airways as it had been before for other airlines such as Eastern and Vanguard

"The cash spigot is just shut off, and that's what they need to operate," he added.

Beyond concerns over whether the flights will be available, Mr. Underwood's group clients must pay a group deposit to reserve their flights. He wonders if his clients will be able to get their money back from a US Airways flight.

"If they go out of business and close their doors, are you ever going to see a group deposit returned?" he said.

Mr. Underwood added that he began to consider the possibility that US Airways won't exist to serve his clients five or six months ago and has been making his plans accordingly since then.

He's sure he's not alone.

"You're just getting the results of one agency," he said. "But I have to believe that everyone is doing the exact same thing."

Mr. Trippler noted that travel agencies remain a powerful sales force for airline flights, booking more than half the flight tickets in the United States.

That depends on what kind of business the travel agency does.

While leisure and group tours depend on advance bookings, corporate travel booked in the short term continues to pick up, said David Arendes, principal of Travel Systems Inc., based in Robinson.

"The whole situation is a wait-and-see proposition. Something will be resolved by the middle of September," said Mr. Arendes. "All we can do is go on with business as usual."

The irony is, at least for some travel agencies, business is booming. Mr. Arendes said his company's revenue this year is up over the year before; he sees the industry as now out of the hole it was in after Sept. 11, 2001. Mr. Busang reported that his business, a relatively small firm that does $6 million in yearly revenue, is up 37 percent over last year through the month of June.

"The phone stated ringing Dec. 26 last year and it has never stopped ringing," said Mr. Busang. "There's this pent up demand. We've just been sending them in droves."

Douglas Millar, the president of Downtown-based Travelers Service Co. Inc., the region's ninth largest travel agency, said he believes presidential politics could keep US Airways planes in the air until well after the election season.

With Republican President George W. Bush behind his Democratic challenger John Kerry in the polls, Mr. Millar suspects the president may need to get involved to improve his standing with Pennsylvania voters.

"Pennsylvania is a huge swing state," he said. "In my opinion, in the short term, I just can't imagine the Bush administration letting this airline go down."

i wouldnt count on the bush admin trying to rescue this airline. i could be wrong and I hope and want this airline to succeed but i dont think bush will be doing anything to save this airline and the 28000 employees, even if it means penn is the battleground state

I do not believe management cares about the negative press because if new agreements are not obtained with the majority of the unions the company will liquidate.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

• Banned
USA320Pilot said:
I do not believe management cares about the negative press because if new agreements are not obtained with the majority of the unions the company will liquidate.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="171279"][/post]​

So now you say you know more then Lakefield?

From Lakefield on August 19, 2004:

While Chapter 11 is a possibility, the talk of an imminent shutdown, a disruption of service, or impending liquidation is simply not true. If Chapter 11 becomes necessary, our survival will remain dependent upon transformation. One way or another, we need new labor agreements.

USA320Pilot said:

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="171279"][/post]​

YOU GIVE ME A HEADACHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USA320Pilot said:

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="171279"][/post]​

Thanks for reminding everyone captain because without your constant drum beat everyone would be totally clueless......

In case you didn't get it: This is what is termed, sarcasm.

Now here is something that is not sarcasm: This airline could very well disappear due to the employees being empty shells from being gutted to the bone from a management team whose batting average is zero. And by the way, my reference to management is very kind.

The truth is out there someplace......perhaps.

1. Management has planned for BK and has no concern about the press disclosing such information.
OR:
2. Is just so totally inept at running an airline, they dont realize how much business is being driven away by such remarks.
OR:
3. Both of the above

There is only 1 union mgmnt wants to cave in and it the PILOTS! If they refuse the deal-GAME OVER! Mgmnt will deal with the other unions accordingly thru layoffs etc. Also, Dr. B is telling the govmnt if they dont work with mgmnt , then game over and 28,000 people on the street. TIME will TELL!!!

Frontier69 said:
There is only 1 union mgmnt wants to cave in and it the PILOTS! If they refuse the deal-GAME OVER! Mgmnt will deal with the other unions accordingly thru layoffs etc. Also, Dr. B is telling the govmnt if they dont work with mgmnt , then game over and 28,000 people on the street. TIME will TELL!!!
[post="171511"][/post]​

That's been my preferred speculation also.

USA320Pilot said:

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="171279"][/post]​

Why don't you retire and save us a few pennies.........You never stand with us but you sure know how get in the way.....

Dear 320 guy......well the loss of revenue does not help....and if we get an agreement then Mr. Bonner's statement cost us millions going forward...Sir your statement is flat out wrong... That kind of logic over the last 15 years is what got us here in this position today...BusFlt321

USA320Pilot said:

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="171279"][/post]​

The f[deleted] liquidate already.

Truthfully,
NYCBusDriver

700UW said:
So now you say you know more then Lakefield?
[post="171280"][/post]​
700, do you really believe the last quote you posted by Lakefield?? ;) Sometimes it seems as though you try to refute ANYTHING 320 says! For that matter, almost ALL posters to these boards try to badmouth 320. Maybe I'm missing something here, but to me 320 is correct when he says without labor agreements, the company WILL LIQUIDATE!!! You don't agree with that???? Don't misunderstand, I am not saying we as employees should cave! Just the opposite, I say liquidate, and get this freaking mess over with so we may move on. This is easy for me to say, because I am moving on regardless of U!! My point here is I just dont get all the 320 bashing by most posters here!! I happen to think he is simply stating the FACTS, and the TRUTH!!! You know what they say, people dont like to hear the truth when it's not good news!!!! GOOD DAY!!!! :up:

• Banned
I would believe Lakefield before the munndane information of a certain pilot.

ell let me let you in on something.

See the propaganda pilot has been proven to post false information hundreds of times, and when you call him out on it he ignores it, can't admit it and still posts the same diatribe.

See it has been six months at least and we are still waiting for his explanation of the "painful" clause in the IAM mechanic and related contract.

Just ask anyone on here about the pilot and you will get the numerous reasons why. See when you post false information and get caught it ruins your credibility, which the pilot basically has none.

Go back to the July of 2002 when the pilot wrote a op-ed piece in the Charlotte Observer filled with false information about the CWA and IAM.

He tries to intimidate and threaten employees of other unions to take concessions to save his lifestyle.

NeedForSpeedNFS said:
700, do you really believe the last quote you posted by Lakefield?? ;) Sometimes it seems as though you try to refute ANYTHING 320 says! For that matter, almost ALL posters to these boards try to badmouth 320. Maybe I'm missing something here, but to me 320 is correct when he says without labor agreements, the company WILL LIQUIDATE!!! You don't agree with that???? Don't misunderstand, I am not saying we as employees should cave! Just the opposite, I say liquidate, and get this freaking mess over with so we may move on. This is easy for me to say, because I am moving on regardless of U!! My point here is I just dont get all the 320 bashing by most posters here!! I happen to think he is simply stating the FACTS, and the TRUTH!!! You know what they say, people dont like to hear the truth when it's not good news!!!! GOOD DAY!!!! :up:
[post="171548"][/post]​

You know Doctor Speed, your post will go over like a lead balloon because you said the "liquidate" word, and that somehow will have a profound affect on the final outcome, IF, you believe what some posters write on here about staying positive even when the sky is falling.

Honestly, I hope for the ones who want to stay, U makes it some miraculous way so they can.

Back