UA cuts PDX- SEA/RDM/EUG/LAX

Kev isn't PDX a relatively large station for UA still? IIRC they serve all te hubs m/l and have a club too.

Josh

737823 said:
Kev isn't PDX a relatively large station for UA still? IIRC they serve all te hubs m/l and have a club too.

Josh
Depends on your definition of "large," I guess. I 'spose adding back in the few sCO flights to the count helps, but it's still a shadow of what it once was-all the more so if you factor in the UAX operation, and non-flight stuff (mtx backshops & the like)...

I may be off, but I coulda sworn the club closed years ago???

PDX club is still there. Unfortunately for UA a station that sees mostly m/l service is the exception not the norm. Believe PDX has cinderella date scope.

Josh

right now, UA and DL are about the same size in PDX - and 1/3 the size of AS. WN is about 25% larger than either DL or UA.

given that the flights that UA is cutting are small aircraft flights, the change in UA's size won't be huge.

The bigger impact will be that UA will lose connecting traffic; 80% plus of the passengers from the turboprop operations that are being cut are connecting passenger from UA's other hubs. Unless UA can replace those passengers, the size of the rest of their operation that remains will also shrink.

The impact of a reduced operation including one that is point to point and not connecting will dictate the future of their club.

Kev3188 said:
Happy to hear it. That's a bet I would've lost...
Funny you selectively quoted me leaving out my point on the Cinderella date scope language.

Josh

Getting a little more information on this, the flying being cut seems to have been mostly pro-rate flying OO was doing at their own risk, as opposed to being something UA was asking them to fly under a capacity purchase agreement. The only CPA flying being cut is LAX-PDX.

Skywest dropping it is simply part of how they deal with the pilot shortage, and now the question becomes what cascading impact is there on the rest of what UA has in PDX.

Not sure if all, but most of their turboprop flying is pro-rate which means the risk is largely with OO, not UA.

But it still doesn't change that UA will suffer from the loss of connectivity at PDX and that the flights have to make money which will be harder and harder to do as pilots are harder to find and the salaries for those that remain will have to go up - that is the law of supply and demand.

you can look at the carrier that have the most amount of flying on the smallest aircraft and see where the impact will be the greatest.

UA has its code on 482 peak day flights this week that operate with less than 49 seats; for AA it is 348. For US it is 206. For DL it is 36.
Conversely, DL has 1419 peak day flights/day operated on large RJs. UA has 910. US has 742. AA has 390.

where is your analysis?

I have consistently said that UA is the most exposed carrier with turboprop and small RJ flights.

The only real surprise in pulling the data is to see that on a combined basis, AA/US is actually worse than UA.

The only real difference is that AA has been more aggressive in dealing with the problem but the problem is still there nonetheless.

AA also has far fewer small RJ/turboprop flights outside of large hubs which makes it easier to rework the schedules to retain the service... exactly what AA is doing with SBA and MRY, IIRC.

By the end of this year, the pilot shortage at the regional carriers will reach a fever pitch and there will be accelerated cancellations of markets that cannot be sustained.

after the peak summer season, it will be even harder to justify keeping many smaller markets.

what is happening here with these markets will increase. And like CLE there will be hub closures and it will involve both AA and UA.

Stuff like RDM and EUG to PDX is easy stuff. The decisions will get tougher.

737823 said:
Funny you selectively quoted me leaving out my point on the Cinderella date scope language.

Josh
Gee, I'm sorry I was happy to see that the RC club still existed. Next time I'll try and be a bit more surly, and be super sure to rehash something that's already been discussed into the ground.

Kev3188 said:
Gee, I'm sorry I was happy to see that the RC club still existed. Next time I'll try and be a bit more surly, and be super sure to rehash something that's already been discussed into the ground.
Happy as well. No need to discuss further just pointing that out as well because that's another unique aspect of PDX since many UA stations are being contracted out.

Josh

Back