PHL planning $5.2 billion expansion includes 5th runway

here is a link...

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20100507_Airport_planning__5_2_billion_expansion.html

Airport planning $5.2 billion expansion

By Linda Loyd
Inquirer Staff Writer

A $5.2 billion expansion plan for Philadelphia International Airport over the next 12 to 15 years is designed to accommodate dramatic growth and help alleviate delays.

The proposal released by the Federal Aviation Administration, sifted from 29 options considered in 2000, would lengthen two of the airport's four runways and build a fifth runway along the Delaware, where UPS now operates.

Finally relocating UPS

here is a link...

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20100507_Airport_planning__5_2_billion_expansion.html

Airport planning $5.2 billion expansion

By Linda Loyd
Inquirer Staff Writer

A $5.2 billion expansion plan for Philadelphia International Airport over the next 12 to 15 years is designed to accommodate dramatic growth and help alleviate delays.

The proposal released by the Federal Aviation Administration, sifted from 29 options considered in 2000, would lengthen two of the airport's four runways and build a fifth runway along the Delaware, where UPS now operates.

Finally relocating UPS

OK OK! Now help a dumb customer out here.

Since forever I keep reading about the restricted airspace over PHL because of being sandwiched betwen New York and Washington, DC. So if the airspace is narrow and congested how exactly does another runway help? I must be stupid because clearly I'm missing something somewhere.

OK OK! Now help a dumb customer out here.

Since forever I keep reading about the restricted airspace over PHL because of being sandwiched betwen New York and Washington, DC. So if the airspace is narrow and congested how exactly does another runway help? I must be stupid because clearly I'm missing something somewhere.
I've never been to PHL, but I would imagine having the extra runway would shorten the line for aircraft waiting to take off, and should enable PHL to have triple takeoff and/or landings at the same time...

Whether you have a 5th runway or not the a/c are STILL taking off into the same restricted airspace. While another runway may look fancy and fabulous on paper it won't allow more a/c into the air. Philly can have all the runways it wants but if the airspace those a/c are landing out of or taking off into isn't fixed what's the point? I seem to be missing something as well. Rebuilding the terminals so there is more room for a/c movement on the ground along with taxiways would help.

I believe it has to do with the space BETWEEN the runways and not being able to have simultaneous take off and landings currently because of the spacing. By adding another runway further away they can use the outer runways to take off and land at the same time limiting ground time or inbound holding delays or atc holds, especially in bad weather. Currently you take off, wait, land, wait, take off, wait, land, etc (or something similar). Now it will be take off, land, take off, land without having to deal with as much in between time waiting.

More space between the parallel runways will help greatly. The current layout is too close for simultaneous ops in IFR conditions (SFO has the same issue). Right now PHL has both airfield and airspace problems. Next Gen ATC -if it ever happens - will help with the latter.

If they would or could reconfigure the concourses to allow two a/c in an alley that would reduce a lot of ground time. I agree the runway configuration currently available makes for trying times. With that said I have always wanted to know how the two runways in SFO can be so close together yet allow dual landings but PHL can't. I'm sure there is a technical reason but those landings are SUPER close in SFO.

This is a 10 year project. Imagine how different the airline industry will look then....

If they would or could reconfigure the concourses to allow two a/c in an alley that would reduce a lot of ground time. I agree the runway configuration currently available makes for trying times. With that said I have always wanted to know how the two runways in SFO can be so close together yet allow dual landings but PHL can't. I'm sure there is a technical reason but those landings are SUPER close in SFO.

From the diagram http://www.phl-cep-eis.com/pdfs/ALTERNATIVE-A.pdf it looks like they will demolish and rebuild concourses B-F as part of this project.

Is that a train track crossing the southern runway? Before shot or after to the fuel farm. Cant imagine that would turn out to be a good thing. :blink:

In the 1983 the Havana airport had a railroad track crossing the mid point of the only runway.

That's central planning for you.

Back