Parker accepts blame for something!

US Airways CEO Parker: We can only blame ourselves for new tarmac rules

Thu, Apr 29, 2010

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Thursday is the day that the new rules on tarmac delays begin, the ones that require airlines to let off passengers if a flight has been held on the ground for at least three hours.

The new rule from the U.S. Department of Transportation has upset many in the airline industry. But Doug Parker, chairman and CEO of US Airways, says the airline industry can blame only itself.

Linkage to the rest

1) Tarmac delay incidents have not been a big issue at US.

2) Didn't Tempe seek an exemption from this law, and was denied?

1) Tarmac delay incidents have not been a big issue at US.

2) Didn't Tempe seek an exemption from this law, and was denied?

1) For all of 2009 US had a little over 500 flights with over a two-hour taxi-out time, which includes return to gate and take off over 2 hours after the first gate departure. US canceled a little over 5100 mainline flights in 2009, so if all the 2-hour plus taxi-delays resulted in cancellations there would be only about 10% more cancellations.

2) You are correct, along with AA, DL, and CO.

Jim

If he (Parker) knew "we" should have done something about it, why didn't Parker and team come up with a solution to the problem before legislation came into effect? So much for forward thinking.

If he (Parker) knew "we" should have done something about it, why didn't Parker and team come up with a solution to the problem before legislation came into effect? So much for forward thinking.

Because there was no sense of urgency until the law was passed. And then it was too late.

This is typical behavior for both people and corporations: Don't fix the plumbing: Just patch it, and hope that it doesn't burst. Unfortunately, when it bursts, you have a much bigger and more expensive problem to deal with.

Like Richard Geere who speaks on behalf of all humanity, Parker has become the airline industry spokesman on behalf of all airlines :p Proof that the Sandcastle can't see beyond the sand that surrounds it!

The title of this thread actually sums up what is wrong not only with US Airways but with the entire bunch of Legacy/Network carriers.

It's stone cold arrogance all the way around. Besides his so called "admission" is a Master of the Obvious statement if ever there was one. All Doug Parker does is put a name and face to the unbridled Employee/Customer be damned attitude of his colleagues and members of the Air Transport Association.

During the Wolf Years US used to "Suck Less" than the others now it's the opposite. So I'm thinking that post merger the legacy carrier that will "Suck Less" is Delta.

Oh and while I'm on a good old fashioned rant does anybody really think the new Tarmac rule is going to punish anyone that's isn't a Customer. As a customer all I can say is on the totem pole of importance thank God I have the employees shoulders to stand on as without them I'd be so far down I'd have to look up to see dirt and grass. :D :D :D

Back