Overage Leaves

operaations

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
I just heard there were not going to be any overage leaves granted this month. If so I wonder how many that brings back to the line. Does anyone have a number

To the best of my knowledge there are about 1300 out on OVL's. These will end on Jun 30 and will not be extended. The APFA estimates as many as 35% will not return, so that puts those of us out on furlough about 400 numbers closer to getting our jobs back.

MK

kirkpatrick said:
To the best of my knowledge there are about 1300 out on OVL's. These will end on Jun 30 and will not be extended. The APFA estimates as many as 35% will not return, so that puts those of us out on furlough about 400 numbers closer to getting our jobs back.

MK
None "too soon", I might add !!!

NH/BB's

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
None "too soon", I might add !!!

NH/BB's
I agree we need you back. I hope it is sooner than you think.

Problem with the OVLs not returning for us furloughees...
They won't know for sure until 01JUL how many OVLs are not returning. Even if the recall letters went out on 01JUL, it would be 01SEP at the earliest before any of us could start back to work. The CBA, gutted though it may be, requires 60-day notice of recall.

To add fuel to the fire, I heard that some are planning to come back, go on the sick list immediately to burn up their remaining sick leave, then they plan to retire without actually working any after their "return" on 01JUL. I hate to spread gossip, but, personally, I can't think of anything else to do with it. :p

jimntx said:
They won't know for sure until 01JUL how many OVLs are not returning. Even if the recall letters went out on 01JUL, it would be 01SEP at the earliest before any of us could start back to work. The CBA, gutted though it may be, requires 60-day notice of recall.

To add fuel to the fire, I heard that some are planning to come back, go on the sick list immediately to burn up their remaining sick leave, then they plan to retire without actually working any after their "return" on 01JUL. I hate to spread gossip, but, personally, I can't think of anything else to do with it. :p
It would not surprise me if that happens. What do you expect when you work year after year with sick time to burn and the company will not pay you for it. I think I might do the same.

operaations said:
It would not surprise me if that happens. What do you expect when you work year after year with sick time to burn and the company will not pay you for it. I think I might do the same.
operations,

Allow me to compliment you for taking a rational view on "THIS" post.

NH/BB's

kirkpatrick said:

MK
I have a question,why would those people choose not to
come back to work?Does that mean they choose to resign?

jimntx said:

The CBA, gutted though it may be, requires 60-day notice of recall.

Jim

Could you please provide reference to recall notice. All I am finding is Article 16 D part c. requiring only a 21 day advance notice..

Thanks.

What Unity?

Flyboy4u said:
Jim

Could you please provide reference to recall notice. All I am finding is Article 16 D part c. requiring only a 21 day advance notice..

Thanks.

What Unity?
I stand corrected. That's what I get for taking the word of a contract "expert." Unless there is something we are both missing, you are correct. It is a mininum notice of 21 days--that is not to say that the company could not give more notice which (I understand) has been their method in actual practice. Maybe my "expert" was basing their 60-day requirement on actual past practice and had assumed that past practice was following the contract.

AirDude said:
I have a question,why would those people choose not to
come back to work?Does that mean they choose to resign?
It's always dangerous to guess the motives of others, but...

There are a lot of flight attendants who don't actually like to fly--particularly on airplanes that ALSO have passengers on them. So, they go from one type of leave to the next--keeping their benefits other than pay (which evidently, they don't need.)

I met a senior flight attendant at a training session in 2001 that said she had not flown a trip in 4 or 5 years! Problem is that this time, the company has already announced that no additional overage leaves will be offered when the current ones expire. If you are on an overage leave and you do not return to work, then you have forfeited your job; so, if any of them do not wish to return to flying they will either have to resign or retire (if eligible).

My personal favorite Overage leave story is from another bulletin board to which I subscribe. When the company announced that no overage leave extensions would be offered when the current ones expire, a flight attendant was ranting on the other board that a friend of hers was going to be FORCED (her caps, not mine) to resign from a 16 year career at AA. Now this 16 year "career" has consisted of 8 years of flying, followed by leaves of one kind or another for the last 8 years. Seems this flight attendant likes being a flight attendant (or saying that she is one), but doesn't like doing the job of flight attendant. But, AA is forcing her out of her career. I love it! :lol:

There are others on overage leave due to family or personal circumstances beyond their control. For instance, I know of a furloughed flight attendant who is the sole care for a son who was paralyzed in a car accident. I understand that some of those on overage leave have similar family circumstances which prevent them from flying. If their situation has not changed by 01JUL this year, they may have no choice other than to resign.

jimntx said:
It's always dangerous to guess the motives of others, but...

There are a lot of flight attendants who don't actually like to fly--particularly on airplanes that ALSO have passengers on them. So, they go from one type of leave to the next--keeping their benefits other than pay (which evidently, they don't need.)

I met a senior flight attendant at a training session in 2001 that said she had not flown a trip in 4 or 5 years! Problem is that this time, the company has already announced that no additional overage leaves will be offered when the current ones expire. If you are on an overage leave and you do not return to work, then you have forfeited your job; so, if any of them do not wish to return to flying they will either have to resign or retire (if eligible).

My personal favorite Overage leave story is from another bulletin board to which I subscribe. When the company announced that no overage leave extensions would be offered when the current ones expire, a flight attendant was ranting on the other board that a friend of hers was going to be FORCED (her caps, not mine) to resign from a 16 year career at AA. Now this 16 year "career" has consisted of 8 years of flying, followed by leaves of one kind or another for the last 8 years. Seems this flight attendant likes being a flight attendant (or saying that she is one), but doesn't like doing the job of flight attendant. But, AA is forcing her out of her career. I love it! :lol:

There are others on overage leave due to family or personal circumstances beyond their control. For instance, I know of a furloughed flight attendant who is the sole care for a son who was paralyzed in a car accident. I understand that some of those on overage leave have similar family circumstances which prevent them from flying. If their situation has not changed by 01JUL this year, they may have no choice other than to resign.
If forcing these people to resign will bring back those who really want to
be a FLIGHT ATTENDANT.That will be a good news to us,because I really
want to go back to fly.

I know if it not going to be thousands of people to resign,but at least I am
happy to see some recalls for the furloughed flight attendants.

jimntx said:
For instance, I know of a furloughed flight attendant who is the sole care for a son who was paralyzed in a car accident. I understand that some of those on overage leave have similar family circumstances which prevent them from flying. If their situation has not changed by 01JUL this year, they may have no choice other than to resign.
That type of situation is covered by Family and Medical Leave Act. If the employee meets the criteria, the leave must be granted subject to the provisions of the FMLA.

AirDude said:
I know if it not going to be thousands of people to resign,but at least I am
happy to see some recalls for the furloughed flight attendants.
Don't assume that retirements and resignations are going to automatically result in the recall of furloughees. The Conventional Wisdom is that the company will have to recall some furloughees before the end of the year. (From CW's lips to God's ears, as they say.) But, remember that AA is an airline that is a master at flying short-staffed. As long as the contract allows reassignment (or junior manning as it is called at Eagle) of lineholders, the company can go a long time without recalls.

I don't know what the "critical mass" of flight attendant departures is that would trigger a recall, but I keep hearing that there will be some recall of furloughees this summer if an appreciable number of the OVLs do not return to work. Not necessarily a one-for-one, but some recall.

The company's official line is still that "there are no plans" and "we have not budgeted" for the recall of any furloughees in 2004. But "having no plans for recalls" and "we will not recall" are two different things entirely.

TWAnr said:
That type of situation is covered by Family and Medical Leave Act. If the employee meets the criteria, the leave must be granted subject to the provisions of the FMLA.
FMLA only allows 84 days per year, so unless this F/A's son is only paralyzed for 84 days, FMLA most certainly doesn't extend to her situation. I predict she won't be coming back, unless she can afford to hire full-time care for her child.. which I highly doubt on a single F/A income. But thanks for trying to be so helpful. <_<

Back