No New Uniforms

singh4us said:
What ever happened to the IMPRESSIONS OF EXCELLENCE policy on appearance and grooming ???

On my flight yesterday from CLT after the Innagural Livery Event, I was appalled by the way two out of three female F/A were dressed. One had her coat dressed hemmed so short with an obvious self sewn front, that when she sat in the jumpseat, I wanted to cover her with a blanket as she showed way too much thigh. And the other female was bared legged with a tattoo on her ankle. I just wanted to barf!!! :shock: :down:

Needless to say that both male F/A were in compliance and looked very sharp and professional. :up:
[post="291992"][/post]​
hehe I think that went out years ago. The problem is is that the supervisors won't let you order any uniform pieces. I was going to pay for them myself and I was told no. So alot of flight attendants are going out and buying their own uniform pieces for that reason. Also people are talking about the Delta male uniform. Lets stop and think about this you have a well known deisgner making their uniform and we have Cintas who is a uniform company making ours. As they say you get what you pay for! Maybe someone in Management will read this and tell their supervisors to stop telling the Flight Attendants that they can't buy uniform pieces.

Light Years said:
goodgirl IS in her own little world- MDA where they all wear thier uniforms properly, plus clean and tailor them.
[post="291985"][/post]​
you look good in your uniform light. i must say. keep it up.

av8or said:
maybe a burkah would be more to your liking?

i'll agree that shodily hemmed stuff is no good, but if its a little short, no big whoop, same for tattoos, people have them, more than you probably realize, although isn't there a rule about serving public wearing nylons or hose or something to that effect?
[post="292005"][/post]​

Well, a Burkah would be rather impratical wouldn't it???!!! :ph34r:

Visble tattoos are indeed a corporate no-no.

FYI, from the IMPRESSIONS OF EXCELLENCE policy::

Impressions of Excellence

As a uniformed employee, you have the power to impact our customers' impressions of US Airways. While each of us is important to the company's success, those of you who represent US Airways to the traveling public have a unique role. To the traveling public, you - as a front-line employee - are US Airways.

Your behavior, appearance, and professionalism deliver strong statements about the US Airways standards of excellence. Meeting those standards will take a great deal of commitment, dedication, and pride from all of us. But make no mistake, meeting them is the most direct route to achieving our goals.

Uniforms

As a uniformed employee, these general policies apply to you. Your department guidelines go into the specifics of each uniform type. Uniform items not specifically mentioned are not authorized.

Your uniform and company accessories are to be worn only while you're on the job and while you're commuting to and from work.

Your uniform must fit well and not be excessively tight or baggy.

Don't alter the appearance of your uniform items in any way. For example, you may not have your pants altered so that they are tapered, pegged, or cuffed.

Maintain all uniform items in a clean, crisp, and presentable condition at all times.

Avoid overstuffing the pockets to the point that they bulge or distort the shape of the uniform item.

Collars must lay flat and not be turned up around your neck. If you wear a jacket, make sure the collar stays flat inside the jacket.

Wear your name badge displayed properly on the uniform. See instructions published by your department concerning the placement of your name badge on your specific uniform type.

Uniform shirts may not be monogrammed.

Keep shoes clean, polished, and in good condition.

If you're deadheading to or from your assigned duty, you'll need to be in uniform (except on transatlantic flights and transcon TDY).

Accessories

As with all the appearance standards, your accessories must be businesslike and tasteful. Here are the standards for accessory items that apply to all US Airways uniformed employees. If there are variations that apply specifically to your department, you'll find them in your department guidelines.

Your Glasses or Sunglasses

Select a style of glasses that is businesslike and conservative in size and frame color and that complements your facial structure.

The eyeglass lenses may be tinted slightly.

Don't wear your glasses or sunglasses on the top of your head.

If you use a cord, it must be gold, silver, dark blue, or black - brightly colored cords are not authorized.

When you're in uniform, you may wear sunglasses outside the terminal only. They must be a tasteful, businesslike style and of a moderate color.

Your Identification

Wear your company/airport I.D. badge where and when required by your department, airport authority, or the FAA. Your I.D. is not to be attached to your hat, epaulettes, or shirt collar. The FAA requires you to wear your I.D. above your waist while present in the Security Identification Display Area (SIDA).

You may secure your I.D. using any authorized clip, beaded silver or gold chain, plastic chain, or nylon breakaway braided cord in solid dark blue or black.

Your Pager

Uniformed employees may wear pagers as long as the pager is in "silent mode" when the employee is in a public contact area. If the pager is visible, the color must be conservative, such as black or gray.

Your Jewelry

Jewelry or ornamentation other than the types described in this section must not be worn.

For Men

Collar Bar

You may wear a plain gold or silver collar bar under the top of your tie to hold your collar in place. The finish of the collar bar must be polished or brushed - no pattern or trim.

Earrings

Wearing earrings of any type is not authorized. Maintenance and Fleet Service, please see your department guidelines.

Bracelets

A single gold or silver bracelet or narrow band with a polished or brushed finish is acceptable, as long as it isn't more than 1/2 inch wide. Combination bracelets (for example, silver with gold) are not authorized. The same is true for rope or cloth bracelets.

Don't wear dangling objects or charms.

Medic Alert bracelets are exceptions to this part of the policy.

Pendants

If you wear a chain or pendant of any type, make sure it isn't visible when you're in uniform.

Rings

You may wear one gold or silver ring on each hand - this includes wedding bands.

The maximum width for a ring is 1 inch.

Don't wear nose rings or thumb rings.

Tie Tack and Tie Bar - if applicable

You may choose a plain gold or silver tie tack or bar to secure your tie - do not choose ornamental tie tacks (for example, airplanes or animals). The company service pin or union pin is acceptable as a tie tack.

For Women

Bracelets

You may wear one bracelet as long as it's a tasteful, narrow style in either gold, silver, white pearl, or diamond.

Combination bracelets, such as gold with pearl or gold with navy, are not authorized.

Don't wear ankle bracelets, bracelets made of rope or cloth, or charm bracelets.

Medic Alert bracelets are exceptions to this part of the policy.

Earrings

You may wear one set of matching earrings (one in each earlobe only).

Earrings may be solid gold, silver, white pearl, dark blue, or diamond, with gold or silver prongs to secure the stone. Combination earrings, such as pearl with navy or gold with dark blue, are not authorized.

Earrings must not be larger than 1 inch in diameter (about the size of a quarter).

The shape may be oval, triangular, square, or round.

Styles and shapes that are not authorized include dangling or drop earrings, hoop earrings that are larger than 1 inch in diameter, ear cuffs, nose rings, novelty shapes (like animals or airplanes), or earrings with moving parts.

Necklaces

You may wear a single necklace with your uniform dress (if applicable). If you're in Passenger Service, you may wear a single necklace with the white embroidered blouse. If you're in Inflight Services, you may wear a single necklace with your cream blouse.

The necklace style may be a single gold or silver chain, or a single strand of white pearls, no larger than 1/2 inch (8mm) in diameter and no longer than 16 to 18 inches.

Make sure pendants on necklaces aren't visible.

Don't wear pens or pencils on your necklace or as a necklace.

Rings

You may wear one ring per hand, at the base of your finger (wedding bands and engagement rings count as one, as long as you wear them on the same finger).

Rings must be gold or silver and a moderate size - no more than 1 inch in width.

Don't wear nose rings or thumb rings.

Your Tie - if applicable

For Men

Make sure it's secured firmly against your collar.

Don't tuck it into your shirt or under your waistband or belt.

Be sure your tie is long enough to reach the top of your belt buckle.

Your Umbrella - if applicable

Umbrellas must be solid black or dark blue - no patterns or designs.

Your Winter Scarf

You may select a dark blue or black winter scarf, worn only with the approved coats.

Personal Appearance

Your personal appearance creates an impression, just like your uniform does. That's why the requirements are completely consistent with those of the uniform. The image is crisp, clean, professional, and polished - a style the reflects US Airways and creates an Impression of Excellence.

Also, be sure to check your department guidelines/updates for the specifics that apply to your department.

Your Personal Hygiene

You are expected to use antiperspirant/deodorant.

You are encouraged to use a lightly scented perfume, cologne, or after-shave lotion.

Your teeth must be clean and your breath, fresh.

Make every effort to keep a clean, smooth, clear complexion.

Uniformed women must keep legs and underarms free of all visible hair.

Keep your eyebrows trimmed and neat.

Cut or remove noticeable hair in nostrils and in/on ears.

Keep your hair and scalp clean, neat, and well-groomed while in uniform.

Arrange your hair way from the presence or customers.

Your Cosmetics

For Men

Wearing makeup of any kind is not authorized.

For Women

Maintenance, Fleet Service, and Flight Operations, please see your department guidelines.

Wearing makeup is the preferred standard and is strongly encouraged; however, it is not mandatory.

It is recommended that you select tasteful and professional blush, lipstick, and mascara. If foundation is worn, the shade should complement your skin tone and facial features. Eyeliner or eye pencil must not extend past the corner of your eye.

You may also wear natural-looking false eyelashes.

Your Nails

Maintenance, Fleet Service, and Flight Operations, please see your department guidelines.

For Men

Your nails must be well-manicured, free from dirt, grease, and hangnails, and rounded to follow the shape of your finger.

Keep the length even with the tip of your finger.

You may wear clear nail polish only.

For Women

Your nails must be kept well-manicured and free of dirt, grease, and hangnails.

Keep the polish free of chips and don't apply it in view of customers.

In terms of length, for both natural nails and nail extensions, the maximum is 1/2 inch from the tip of your finger.

Behavior

The US Airways image must not only be clearly reflected in your appearance, but also in what you say and do. Research shows that customers want uniformed employees to be truly engaged with them - to look at them and to talk to them. Even actions that may seem insignificant can shape an opinion. That's why your actions and behavior must reflect the highest standards of professionalism.

Consider your behavior in terms of how others might see it. Avoid small talk, disputes, reproaches, controversial discussions, and company business conversations in public areas, including the aisles or galleys of the aircraft.

Avoid loud conversations of any kind unless you are speaking to the hearing impaired. Be aware that customers could misinterpret what you are saying.

While in uniform, you may not consume alcoholic beverages or enter any cocktail lounge, bar, or liquor store.

If you need to carry personal items or purchases, store them in appropriate containers, consistent with your overall uniform image. Don't carry packaged liquor containers while in uniform.

Carry yourself with pride. Practice good posture and carriage at all times.

While walking in the terminals and in customer view, don't eat, drink, smoke, or chew gum or tobacco. You may use designated airport smoking and eating areas, excluding lounges or bars.

When in customer view, be alert and ready to greet and assist them. Be aware of and use appropriate body language. (Inappropriate body language includes leaning against a wall or counter, crossing your arms, keeping your hands in your pockets, reading magazines, etc.)

Don't sit in wheelchairs at the gate.

Don't sit on the ATO baggage belt.

Flight Crew members in uniform are only permitted to use portable radio, tape, or CD headsets on aircraft when deadheading or commuting. Headsets must not be worn in the gate area at any time.

Don't make personal calls while you're at your duty location (for example, at the ATO position, the gate podium, or the jetway phone).

Don't sit on the armrest of a passenger seat.

Conclusion

Does all this seem too detailed? Perhaps. But impressions are formed through an accumulation of details, not all of which register consciously. These fine points do matter and can make the difference in the minds of our customers.

In other words, you matter. You carry a unique and critical responsibility. You are US Airways to our customers.

Let all your impressions on our customers be Impressions of Excellence.

Last updated: January 15, 2004

USAguy97 said:
hehe I think that went out years ago. The problem is is that the supervisors won't let you order any uniform pieces. I was going to pay for them myself and I was told no. So alot of flight attendants are going out and buying their own uniform pieces for that reason. Also people are talking about the Delta male uniform. Lets stop and think about this you have a well known deisgner making their uniform and we have Cintas who is a uniform company making ours. As they say you get what you pay for! Maybe someone in Management will read this and tell their supervisors to stop telling the Flight Attendants that they can't buy uniform pieces.
[post="292008"][/post]​

I agree that the quality of the uniforms have degraded during the past ten years or more. Even the Retro uniforms of the past were alot better than CINTAS!!!!

I am sure that once the merger is completed and US returns to be a profitable airline, we will have new uniforms within the next few years!!!

Remember this recent article from USAToday?

Posted 7/6/2005 10:44 PM Updated 7/21/2005 7:09 AM

Airlines hope new fashions make financial statement

By Barbara De Lollis, USA TODAY
Designer fashions are hitting runways from Atlanta to Seoul.

Six international airlines, including Delta Air Lines, have hired high-profile designers to revamp uniforms for thousands of flight attendants, reviving a nearly dormant industry tradition. In earlier decades, Christian Dior, Bill Blass and Calvin Klein dressed the industry's most visible employees.

Today, airlines are turning to Christian Lacroix, a premier Paris designer, and Richard Tyler, a Los Angeles-based designer who has dressed Julia Roberts and two Desperate Housewives. They're creating suits, coats and dresses, as well as shoes, hats and handbags.

The fashion renaissance comes as many of the big carriers continue to hemorrhage money, and even the profitable airlines are battling sky-high fuel costs. Whether cutting-edge styles can eventually boost the airlines' bottom lines remains to be seen.

Yet airlines are betting millions that Fifth Avenue or Paris style can help them stand apart from frumpy rivals, or present a fresh, cohesive image after a merger or restructuring. New uniforms also ease passenger anxieties in a post-Sept. 11 world by making flight attendants easier to spot in a sea of shoulders, says Delta's Paulette Corbin.

Marketing and security aren't the only drivers behind the makeovers. Delta, Air France and Korean Air believe that a suitcase full of new clothes will lift employees' spirits, which can improve passenger service.

"The idea is: Invest in your employees, and good things happen," says Bruce Tracey, associate management professor at Cornell University. Delta, which is teetering on the verge of filing for bankruptcy protection, spent millions for Tyler's work designing clothing, sunglasses and shoes and for production of the new wardrobe. Officials aren't saying how much. Profitable Air France had said it spent about $23 million to dress 36,000 employees in custom-fitted clothing, shoes and accessories. That's more than $600 a person.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/biztravel/20...e-fashion_x.htm

1L1R2L2R said:
Oh well... I guess a little at a time... I hope that when they do introduce a new uniform they stick with something professional. Although we will be the "Worlds Largest Lowcost Carrier" I hope we dont dress like it. <<Grin :D
[post="291626"][/post]​
Well, over here at AWA, I keep hearing "business casual". Last month, they allowed the F/A's to go to optional use of a uniform tie until the winter dress code starts 10/31. I believe it's a permenant policy.

USAguy97 said:
new paint scheme new airline should mean new uniforms! We are now a low cost airline so lets have the khakis! get me out of the 1985 blue uniform! :up:
[post="291891"][/post]​
As much as I love Khakis for personal wear, they arent practical in an environment such as the ticket counter. You have often wet, dirty and heavy bags to lift and to avoid all the stress on yiur back, you use your knees. Khakis would be dirty very quickly.

Just the other day while on the 3rd day of my 4day trip my friend and I were walking from A-west to the B concourse in PHL when a supervisor walked over to him and asked where his tie was. He said, "Well for starters you could start off by introducing yourself". she said she didn't have to.. He said why not look and see that there are orders backed up as far as May. He also said that the plane he was on and had to clean was 100 degrees. A CSD once told me that I had to put my tie on in the briefing. I said, "As a passenger sitting in the boarding area looking at the a/c with paint chipped beyond belief, I would be more concerned with the state of the plane than if my f/a on the flight had a tie on". My thread on my tie is so tattered taht a few bars of the flag are gone. Many uniforms are altered now because we are sick of the same thing for years. As a male f/a what choices do we really have? How about that appearance stuff. Does that sound like the army or what?

My reply to that supervisor would have been.....I'll wear my tie when the women wear their tabs!!!!!!! Besides....what is the big friggen deal with those lousy ties.....the aviator shirt looks better without it! Isn't it bad enough we fit the look of a city transit driver!

PHX-F/A said:
Well, over here at AWA, I keep hearing "business casual". Last month, they allowed the F/A's to go to optional use of a uniform tie until the winter dress code starts 10/31. I believe it's a permenant policy.
[post="292256"][/post]​

Gee there is a novel idea......maybe we are better off with AWA way of thinking! :up:

Twicebaked said:
Sorry Piney...I have to disagree with the customer input on uniforms. This should be a comany (employee) only arena.

I don't believe you can introduce "pieces" a little at a time. We have to completely change them overnight. We still have female flight attendants wearing pieces that were supposed to discountinued YEARS ago. Like those nasty cream colored double collared shirts. They are sooooo ratty. The only way to be complete is to start with everything new with different colors so as they cannot use any old pieces.

Just my thoughts
[post="291848"][/post]​
TB...HP CSR replaced their uniforms a little over a year ago, but it was not a total overnight transition. There was an end date that was put on when the old uniform could be worn. So there was that time of overlap of using you yearly allowance, plus it didn't go to waste. The UDC also would not allow you to purchase any old items anymore.
After the date management would monitor the employees and address the stragglers on an individul basis. It worked out, but my personal opinion is that HP is too lax in the area of allowing the agents to have an open collar with no tie or anything. It looks sloppy, agents would push the "casual" to the extreme. I mean you would be looking good and the person next to you was a slob....thpppt!
Yes there needs to be something new, simple, professional and relaxed. Good luck in finding that!

Back